Anyone ever wonder why...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever wonder why...........

No one can settle the icy polar regions of the game map in Civ3?

You know what I'm talking about? That strip of white land that runs across the top and bottom portions of the game world. It was possible to settle these areas in Civ2. Just a thought.........
    signature not visible until patch comes out.

Well, since you can't alter the terrain as in Civ II, the polar regions aren't as viable. IIRC, you couldn't settle glacier tiles in Civ II. Tundra tiles, yes (some of those polar tiles could have cities), but glaciers, no.

Comment

Assumeing the world is round its all the same place... bout -40 degrees and swarming with polar bears...
      "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

It was a definite exploit that in Civ2 you could walk units around on the icecap, and thus move ships around on the glacial poles... On an earth map, for example, triremes from Greece could easily reach California because you could just hop from Siberia to the icecap's coast, and you had no chance of sinking. Besides, it's the year 2002 and there are still no cities in Antarctica.
        Lime roots and treachery!
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

btw, sorry for double posting, but you could start cities on glaciers in Civ2. I just tried it.
          "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Now you can't even get a unit on the polar icecap.
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Is that a big problem? It's not like the Romans ever marched their Legions over Antarctica to get at the Incans, or the English set up a Colony on the icecaps of the North Pole... people weren't even abe to get there and live until a few hundred years ago, imagine trying to build a city or move an army there!

Comment

No, it's not a problem to me at all. I was just actually suprised that the don't allow it now. I always though, from Civ 1 on, that it should be this way.
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

i agree; you shouldn't be able to exploit the poles. you could do that with SMAC, too.
                  drones to the left of me, spartans to the right - here i am, stuck in the middle with yang

Comment

Remind yourself about how the AI will put cities down on every available space, and ask yourself, "How much fun would it be to have to go raze those cities too?"

IMO the polar caps are as useless as they should be.

Comment

Polar ice caps are actually rich in resources though.
                      Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                      Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

that's why they call this civ 3
                        it ISN'T the same game !!!!

btw, Grrr do you ever leave this place??

maybe you are many, not just one
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Grrr
                          Polar ice caps are actually rich in resources though.
                          Care to explain? I don't hear about a lot of missions besides scientific ones going to Antarctica...

Comment

No, there is just one me. I am usually online for about 6 hours per day. I reply to basically every thread.

The only problem with antarctic resources is a) they are protected in international treaties. b) they are difficult to extract in extreme cold ie frozen oil pipeline etc.
                            Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                            Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Originally posted by cyclotron7

Care to explain? I don't hear about a lot of missions besides scientific ones going to Antarctica...
                              me thinks you answered you're own question
                              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                              X