comparing notes--AI common strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• comparing notes--AI common strat

I have played --i would embarrassed to admit to the actual hours-- tons of civ3 games now. I really like civ 3!

But the pattern seems to be the same.

Since i max out colonizing i usually have a weak army to start, so i will do almost anything to avoid fighting early.

So when it comes time to fight, the enemy civs always have 1 stack of 20-40 units and maybe 1 other smaller one. It would be a horrendous challenge to knock them down if it weren't for the fact that they DON'T use artillery (in 1 case they actually used a captured artillery against me and not my land).

Now since i do use artillery, It usually takes me about 3 turns to ground them down with artillery first and then wipe them out. Once their main force has been neutralized i go on the offensive.

(when they do have bombers, they always go after land improvements rather than my cities).

I still have fun 'cause i win But, sometimes it feels like i am cheating.

DOes anyone else feel that the battle goes the same way?

(btw: if we are in the modern age, its just a matter of 3 nukes in the same place to take out 85% of the enemy forces that have massed)

Nukes are very weak. Period.

About the main post: reports are AI uses artillery more and better in 1.21f.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

still waiting

Comment

moved

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
          Nukes are very weak. Period.

About the main post: reports are AI uses artillery more and better in 1.21f.
          when the AI uses 1 nuke, it's weak. when i use hundreds with the letahal bombardment on, it's devistating.

should be fun for MP
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

They will be fun in MP.
            Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
            Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Originally posted by Grrr
              They will be fun in MP.
              Unless you are on the receiving end!
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski

Unless you are on the receiving end!
                no i think that would be funny too.

those 20-40 turns between ICBMs and SDI will be fun packed.
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX

no i think that would be funny too.

those 20-40 turns between ICBMs and SDI will be fun packed.
                  It might be funny, but not necessarily FUN. Until you realize it's over anyway.

Comment

I don't think I would play with nukes in MP.

Comment

speaking of nukes...

i am playing a game now...where i have ageis cruisers and am currently even researching satellites...

but i can't build tactical nukes for my nuclear subs.

this is a first for me..and i can't quite figure out why.

I can't build the UN wonder because i have turned of all victory conditions but conquer. SO i don't think this is why i can't build nukes.

... please tell me why i can't make nukes (i have tons of all the resources so its not that)

Unless the game changes radically..i don't see how this can be played multiplayer..it will come down who can grow faster and luck out with techs. Or, barring that, it will come down to who makes the first strike with their 60 pack of units.

Comment

As long as you have Aluminum and Uranium, and the Manhattan Project has been completed, and you have the appropriate techs, you should be able to build them. Are you using a mod?
                        Lime roots and treachery!
                        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Version 21f has much better AI routines.. the Americans used 7 artillery units at least to attack Chicago which i'd caught off them. It makes units a lot harder to destroy with artilerry under them.. you need to use new tactics like sendingin elite Cavalry/tanks or lower, maybe just cheap swordmen to take the artillery fire and withdraw to let your main attack force go in without art damage.

So yes it has better artilerry.. it also uses more unit stacking I think, haven't done many wars with it yet though.

Comment

Originally posted by cyclotron7
                            As long as you have Aluminum and Uranium, and the Manhattan Project has been completed, and you have the appropriate techs, you should be able to build them. Are you using a mod?
                            Exactly! If you(or another Civ) haven't built the Manhattan Project nobody can build nukes. However, when anybody completes it everybody can build them, if they have the required tech and resources.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
                              It might be funny, but not necessarily FUN. Until you realize it's over anyway.
                              Unless you go and hide off on an island in the middle of the ocean and no one finds you.

Comment

Working...
                              X