Ai tech trading and 1.21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ai tech trading and 1.21

I haven't played civ3 for about a month now, and I haven't been on these boards for about the same amount of time.
    I installed 1.21, but never really got into a game. I decided to play the Japanese because i wanted to try out the samurai (which imo is too powerful). The japanese just didn't appeal. I think i might have OD-ed on japanese culture.
    Anyway, I was wondering how the AI tech trading is under 1.21. In my last game (pré 1.21) there was no point in researching anything, so I put research on 0 and just bought all the tech. The AI gave each other the tech.
    Can the player research competitively with the Ai under 1.21, or is it still one block against the player?

Robert
    A strategy guide? Yeah, it's what used to be called the manual.

it is still one block

Comment

I don't know, I have found that under 1.21 there is actually somewhat of a point in researching verss buying. There have been several times where only one AI knows a particular tech.
      DO, OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY - Yoda
      EAGLES MAY SOAR, BUT... WEASLES DON'T GET SUCKED INTO JET ENGINES - Unknown
      AMBITION IS A POOR EXSCUSE FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO STUPID TO BE LAZY - Unknown

Comment

you can simply change it in the editor now.

I changed it too 100, works a charm.
        Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

I dunno... with aggressive science research in my cities and wonder building, and a bit of trading and stealing with the other civs, I seem to have no problem keeping up with the AI in tech advances. Often I am ahead of the pack, so to speak. This is with any version. But then again, I am not playing higher than Monarch yet.
          You have not converted a man merely because you have silenced him.

Comment

The tech trading has slowed down with the patch. Not only have I seen cases where only one civ had a given tech, I have also seen cases where a given civ was WAY BEHIND in tech, because they don't produce money, trying instead to keep up in tech by maximizing their research.

Come to think of it, I've never thought to exploit the tech difference. I guess I'm just not expansionist enough.
            To those who understand,
            I extend my hand.
            To the doubtful I demand,
            Take me as I am.

Comment

Working...
            X