Upgrading units in armies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading units in armies

I've got 5 armies of 4 tanks each. I just got Modern Armor. Can I not upgrade the tanks in the armies to armor. If not, what were they thinking?
    If so, how?

you cant. firaxis doesn't like doing things right.

during the modern age still have a standing army of knights, in almost every game i play.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Thats why Leaders are only good for wonders.
      Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
      Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Originally posted by Grrr
        Thats why Leaders are only good for wonders.
        but sometmies you just have too many leaders / oppurtunities to get leaders that have have to use them anyway. armies arent that bad early on. the greeks can have a hoplite and 2 swordsmen... 3/3/1 i think.
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

Improve Armies over time.

Instead of 4 Tanks, I would have left it at 3, and added 1 MA. The unit still rocks, as the MA will be the first to fight in any given battle, with it's full # of hit points (until the very end). The Tanks absorb any extreme losses.
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

This is why nobody builds Armies. Why waste a Leader for a unit of limited value the units in which can't even be upgraded?

There are NO MILITARY LEADERS in Civ 3, none that can effect combat the way Alexander, Napoleon, Caesar, Hannibal, or Frederick the Great could.

Oh yes, I tried editing Army units to make it possible to unload units from them. Didn't work - hardcoded. Perhaps there is a trick with the new patches to do it, but since I still don't think they are worth it I never have them.

Comment

what i would have done would be to make the leader rush an improvement, or 5 cities worth of military units. that way you could get a sizeable force, as if the "great leader" stirred up soem patriotism.

and armies? they should always exist. you should be able to build an army leader at any time in any city, and they shuoldnt be so costly. it makes them seem so powerful but they really suck.

question: is an army considered 1 unit for boat transporting?

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                what i would have done would be to make the leader rush an improvement, or 5 cities worth of military units. that way you could get a sizeable force, as if the "great leader" stirred up soem patriotism.

and armies? they should always exist. you should be able to build an army leader at any time in any city, and they shuoldnt be so costly. it makes them seem so powerful but they really suck.

No, I tried to cut an army on a galley and it wouldn't let me.
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Yes, it is really frustrating not being able to upgrade the units in armies, so I generaly don't build armies until calvary.
                  "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
                  --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Dont know why everybody hates armies. Yes, I know they have some problems, but if you build the acadamy, and then just start building armies, you could knock the AI off the face of the earth. I had about 8 armies and I was invincible mlitary-wise. I use the armies to support each other, and build specialized armies like an army of elite mech inf that I use to protect my artillery during assaults.

Comment

I personally don't mind the no upgrade policy. To me, it adds more strategery to the game. Do I make the army now, of mws incase there is a well fortified hill town? Or do I use the GL on a wonder, in the hopes that I get a GL later on to make an army.

If you really don't like it, you can just disband the army, puts out quite a bit of shields when you do. Not sure if you could do that in the city building the army, if you could, then you would get maybe a new half-priced army.

Comment

1. Agree with The Rook.

2. Great idea, aatw.

3. I believe Armies are counted as the number of member units + 1 for the purposes of transport.

Lastly, Armies are great. Nutcracker, indomitable defense, ultimate pillage cover...

I'm throwing down the gauntlet... those who vote nay to Armies, when MPP comes around, stand by your words. I will use Armies, and you, on your honor, will not.

Let's see how you feel about it when a 4X Legion Army shows up on your Spearman's doorstep... or how 'bout a blitzing 4X MA Army when you are still on Infantry. Not to mention mixed-unit Armies.

Buh-bye.
                        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX

Additional options for use of the Great Leaders would be welcome.

As for armies, I like them as is, but couldn't you use the editor to make them available from the outset (or at least tied to a very early advance) and at a reduced cost? Be interesting to see how a game thusly modded played out.
                          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

I'm definately a pro army person.

They are great attackers/defenders in any age.

An army of swordsmen can defeat a knight.

An army of tanks is pretty unstoppable until mech infantry.

Your first victorious army allows you to produce the academy when the tech is available. This in turn increases your culture slightly. Any little bit helps here WRT culture.

Keep armies firaxis don't get rid of them for MP.
                            signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Armies should be kept, but they're slightly weaker than they were supposed to be before the release - then they were supposed to be something of great power.

Currently, it's just a unit with more hit points, that can't be upgraded. If I got an army of Samurai, and everyone gets Nationalism (Gunpowder, to a lesser extent), all I can do with the army is defending.

When playing Militaristic civs, I noticed that there are lots of Leaders, despite my peacful style. And always use your first one to build an army, just for the Heroic Epic.
                              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Working...
                              X