Marla's World Map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marla's World Map

I was looking on the CIV. III website. And I was wondering if the World Map was fun to play. I looked at several of the maps, and I thought it would be difficult to test them all. The last game I played, I stayed away from war by paying off everyone with the tons of gold I had. I even brought up all of the technology from everyone. And I had an easy Space Race victory by 1750 A.D..

Best world maps are Marla's and Satya's modified version (v6.25 I think now). I also like to play the European map created by Aanar, which I've modded a bit for my own play. These 3 are my personal favorite.

Comment

Depending on where you want to play...if you want to start out in Europe, I'd go with Satya's, as it is slightly distorted to make Europe larger and give more room to those civs. However, Africa is rather badly distorted on that one. Marla's seems to be the most accurate, but I don't think it's quite as fun.

But whatever you choose, you can modify them to your whims.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I really like Selanne's earth map. It is absolutely enormous and extremely geographically accurate. Marle's is good, butmot quite as accurate and a bit heavy on the barbarians.
        Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it. And perhaps everyone else, too.

Comment

I prefer Marla's because of it's better accuracy.
          Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
          Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

I downloaded Marla's map this morning. I could not find the other maps mentioned, so I downloaded Skull Island and Sgb7 and Imperialism too. I got stuck on a small northern island with little resources. The other civilization did not trade with me because I did not have anything to offer. I must be somewhere near Finland because I can travel East but not West. This is how my last game started, and it confirms to my playing style. Guess, I will see how this map develops over time.

Originally posted by Grrr
            I prefer Marla's because of it's better accuracy.

Comment

If anyone wants a good map of Europe, then I'll be glad to post it. It's a modded version of Aanar's map, which I've changed to make things a little more fair and for better gameplay.

Comment

post yours and a link to the original.
                "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

For whatever reason, Aanar's original has gone poof, and I can't find it anywhere. However, my modded version is only a bit different... moving a few horse resources, some barbarian camps, etc.
                  Attached Files

Comment

MarlaMap is good, but I recommend converting greenland, the canadian arctic, and most of siberia to mountains. Tho completely inaccurate geographically, it will reduce the number of AI cities by about 80. Turn time is that map's achilles heel. I've found the mountainous arctic makes a big difference, even by the early AD years.
                    The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                    intelligence to few.

Comment

Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
                      MarlaMap is good, but I recommend converting greenland, the canadian arctic, and most of siberia to mountains. Tho completely inaccurate geographically, it will reduce the number of AI cities by about 80. Turn time is that map's achilles heel. I've found the mountainous arctic makes a big difference, even by the early AD years.
                      Couldn't you also modify the Arctic terrain to be unproductive and hence unusable to the AI?
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

It looks as if I was placed on England with little resources. The big difference in this game from my last game using Civilization III maps is the lack of gold and resources. The AI is trading like wild fire. I naturally explored the arctic regions first since I can only sail in safe regions. I have several settlements there, and the AI was slow to explore this area. They went after the populated area's first. However, they demanded my maps from me, and now they are exploring these areas in force since they are already looking for oil, and I have not finished chemistry yet. There are no natural disasters like wolves, dust storms, tornados, only barbarians. So, I think this is a safe map so far. However, the mainland civilizations seem to have an advantage in the early parts of the game.

I am going to look at this Europe Map too, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Trip
                          For whatever reason, Aanar's original has gone poof, and I can't find it anywhere. However, my modded version is only a bit different... moving a few horse resources, some barbarian camps, etc.
                          Cool map...but 2 things!

1. Too many rivers. While they may be geographically accurate, I think it would affect gameplay too much (too much wealth being generated). I would cut out a lot of them and stick to the major waterways (Seine, Elbe, Rhine, Oder, Danube, etc.).

2. This mya not be anything to do with you, but when I went to edit the civs, I was on the civ screen and couldn't get off. A message box kept popping up saying "Please Enter Exactly 76 Lines." I've never had that pop up before at all. I had to ctrl-alt-del to get out of the editor

Thanks.
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by SSBLoveU
                            There are no natural disasters like wolves, dust storms, tornados, only barbarians.
                            Huh?

There are no wolves, dust storms or tornados in Civ3 anyway!
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Yes, there are no natural disasters in Civilization III. Also, units cannot be specially trained for mountains, desert, ocean and so on. These things were in "Rise and Rule of Ancient Empires." Still, I am having fun with Marla's World Map. I have a new plan for year 1000 A.D.. I explore a lot.

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Huh?

There are no wolves, dust storms or tornados in Civ3 anyway!

Comment

Working...
                              X