No announcement yet.

I smell a conspiracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dom Pedro II: So we should bite the hand that feeds us because there wasn't alot of meat on the last bone?
    "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

Dom Pedro II: So we should bite the hand that feeds us because there wasn't alot of meat on the last bone?

Hehe! No, actually I was only being facetious. I mean, this little conspiracy theory is possible, but I don't find it likely, and I will most certainly be buying the expansion pack when it comes out provided that they truly mean what they said in the press release.
      Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889).

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

Comment

I used to think that nobody in the gaming industry was as shifty as EA.

I was wrong...

Though I did enjoy Civ III, it still had the stench of capitalist greed looming over it. Many features promised just weren't implemented. And now, we have to pay for what we should've got with the original game.

And they'll probably hold off more of what we should've gotten so they can make us fork over more of our hard-earnt cash on another XP.

I say the conspiracy is real.
        "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
        "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
        "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Looks like the word is getting around about Sid and Civ 3.

Civ 2 had legs for 5+ years; Civ 3 has no legs, not without a scenario builder which should have come with the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle
            Looks like the word is getting around about Sid and Civ 3.

Civ 2 had legs for 5+ years; Civ 3 has no legs, not without a scenario builder which should have come with the game.
            Why do you say that? A lot of games don't have scenario builders.
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Personally, I love civ3 - civ2 might have had better gameplay but the improved graphics, as well as the cool diplomacy model (albeit not as good as CTP2) make civ3 a cut above.

However, the very nature of Civilization and the online community built up over the last 10 yeas means that modding and scenario-building is more important than for other games: it's something we've come to expect. To be disappointed as we were (the units and resources were hard-coded until after 3 patches), with no multiplayer, no scenarios and an editor that actively discourages modding outside of tweaking the existing rules and we have every right to moan.

Call To Power 2 might not have been an official civ title, but it implemented a lot of Good Things, which should have been learned from for civ3. Civ3 is like 1 step foward, 2 steps behind. Why does the game only go up to modern-day techs? Why so few units? Why can't we select tone of voice in diplomacy?

So, ignoring the shoddy development and lack of playtesting (all those bugs), there is the question of motive. Well, it is almost certainly commercial and, whilst they're a business, Firaxis will simply be providing us with the game we wanted in the first place. Hopefully. As I say, the new units/civs/whatever had better be usable outside the scenarios or I'm gonna be really pissed off.
              Up the Irons!
              Rogue CivIII FAQ!
              Odysseus and the March of Time
              I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

A lot of games aren't Civ3. When a game has this much publicity (it is the first game I have ever seen that was advertised on T.V.) It's makers should go the extra mile to make it good.

I don't like it, but i will buy the expansion because I would rather pay 80$-100$ for something than 50$ for almost nothing....

Comment

it's funny how we'll end up shelling out $80-$90 for what was promised upon release +8 useless civs.
                  "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by DarthVeda
                    Oh give me a break. Stop defending them. Sid is a Mountebank and a charlatan and you know it.
                    Give me a break. You have nothing but bitter conspiracy theories. OK, so how is Sid a charlatan? I won't defend them against logic, but this is just the height of senselessness.

Civ3 is inferior to Call to Power 2, it just got better publicity.
                    So, when was it that I said Civ3 was even good? I think it's funny how you seem to extrapolate hidden meanings from my post.

I'm not defending the game, just pointing out that there's no conspiracy: Firaxis put a game out for sale, and you bought it. Firaxis will put an XP out for sale, and you may or may not buy it. What's so shifty about that?
                    Lime roots and treachery!
                    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Why do I own 2 copies of Civilization II?

The first one is just labled as Civilization II

The second is labled Civilization II Gold.

What did I get with the second that I did not get with the first?
                      The ways of Man are passing strange, he buys his freedom and he counts his change.
                      Then he lets the wind his days arrange and he calls the tide his master.

Comment

Cyclo
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I think it was Sid on the grassy knoll.

Or perhaps it was the Cubans. They put the kibosh on the initial MP/scenario release. (something about perfecting a scenario where they could successfully take over the US-seems they were having problems designing it to where they could win)

Perhaps it was Cancer Man-he seems to be lurking behind everything, perhaps he is behind this?

US Military? What if they are planing on invading iraq in 3 months, WHEN THE XP WILL ARRIVE. We will be too busy playing MP to notice while the tanks roll through baghdad and then to Tehran and every other axis of evil nation. We won't care if thousands of soldiers die, as we are killing millions in a game, and can't be bothered.

Comment

Conspiracy? Heh.

Maybe it's just a game.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Civ3 is inferior to Call to Power 2, it just got better publicity.

Smoking the weed again?
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I like Civ3, thats why I'll still play it. I won't buy the expansion though. I'd never forgive myself if I did. They could have at least released the scenario editor(completed) if nothing else for the original Civ3 thats a main thing not a "special feature"...at least it should't be.

Comment

Working...
                                X