Tell me if I am right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me if I am right

After playing Civ1 a few days ago something clicked in my head. I believe the opening music comes from Aeron Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man - changed of course, but it sounds like the beginning of Copland's work to me.

Am I right? (Civ1 opening music, not Civ3)

sboog

It's very similar, but not identical. Chalk it up to either paying homage or plagiarism...
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Not sure. I like Stuart Copeland better anyway.

-FMK.

Comment

Am I the only person who thinks the Civ3 music is abysmally bad?
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Back when I played the game, it was abysmally choppy. Never got a chance to really listen to it (and I am a musician) playing smoothly.

-FMK.

Comment

The music is majorly cheesy, and as it goes on it gets worse. Modern era music is Weather Channel, Kenny G light rock crap. I"m like, WHAT? How can I take world conquest seriously to stuff that sounds like what one hears over the speakers at Wal*mart?
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I like the music. It's not abyssmally bad. What's wrong with the Ancient Age music? Or the Medieval?

The modern music is somewhat laughable. It's not bad, but it seems silly to me.

Yes, I'm pretty sure the starting music from Civ I is "Fanfare for the Common Man"-based.

Comment

Thanks you all for reassuring me I was not crazy in thinking Civ1's opening music was based on Aaron Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man.

sboog

Comment

Originally posted by dunk999
                  I like the music. It's not abyssmally bad. What's wrong with the Ancient Age music? Or the Medieval?

The modern music is somewhat laughable. It's not bad, but it seems silly to me.

Yes, I'm pretty sure the starting music from Civ I is "Fanfare for the Common Man"-based.
                  Well the ancient age music is just some drum beatings, so hard to screw that up. The "classical" fake Mozart piece is excruciatingly bad from the point of view of a classical music fan and music major. Yech. Why not just get a real mozart piece? It's not under copyright.

And you hit the nail on the head for the modern stuff--laughable. Some nice Danny Elfman-esque movie soundtrack music would have been far better. The current music seems to belittle the scope of the game for me.
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                    The music is majorly cheesy, and as it goes on it gets worse. Modern era music is Weather Channel, Kenny G light rock crap. I"m like, WHAT? How can I take world conquest seriously to stuff that sounds like what one hears over the speakers at Wal*mart?
                    If the modern era were one revolving around building up, then I wouldn't mind the Kenny G music. It sounds pleasant enough. But since that is my favourite warmongering time, I'd rather have something more warmonger-like. Sort of like the music in the C&C Red Alert soundtrack. There's quite a few tracks there that make good warmongering music.
                    "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                    "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Well the ancient age music is just some drum beatings, so hard to screw that up. The "classical" fake Mozart piece is excruciatingly bad from the point of view of a classical music fan and music major. Yech. Why not just get a real mozart piece? It's not under copyright.

And you hit the nail on the head for the modern stuff--laughable. Some nice Danny Elfman-esque movie soundtrack music would have been far better. The current music seems to belittle the scope of the game for me.
                      Boris,
                      The "fake Mozart piece" you are referring to is the Haydn Piano Sonata in E Flat, so I guess in that respect it is a fake Mozart piece...

Speedy
                      Barry Caudill
                      Executive Producer
                      Firaxis Games
                      2K Games/Take 2 Interactive

Comment

Re: Tell me if I am right

Originally posted by sboog
                        Tell me if I am right
                        me if I am right
                        Science without conscience is the doom of the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Bump

Boris,
                          The "fake Mozart piece" you are referring to is the Haydn Piano Sonata in E Flat, so I guess in that respect it is a fake Mozart piece...

Speedy
                          LOL, well I never liked Hadyn much anyway. But it's not the piece itself that's the problem (though it is dull), it's the performance. Is it a recording or a MIDI file?

And What about that Modern era music?!
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

LOL, well I never liked Hadyn much anyway. But it's not the piece itself that's the problem (though it is dull), it's the performance. Is it a recording or a MIDI file?

And What about that Modern era music?!
                            Well, it's a recording (digital, 24-bit), but the source was a sampled piano (Kurzweil K2600) so it tends to be limiting from an "emotion" standpoint (there aren't enough samples to cover the whole dynamic range...heck there isn't enough RAM anywhere for that ). Anyway, that's the story.

Speedy
                            Barry Caudill
                            Executive Producer
                            Firaxis Games
                            2K Games/Take 2 Interactive

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Bump

Well, it's a recording (digital, 24-bit), but the source was a sampled piano (Kurzweil K2600) so it tends to be limiting from an "emotion" standpoint (there aren't enough samples to cover the whole dynamic range...heck there isn't enough RAM anywhere for that ). Anyway, that's the story.

Speedy
                              Why not just use recordings of real instruments and performances?
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                              X