Upgrading to samurai.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading to samurai.

I'm playing Japan for the first time, and have stockpiled a lot of vet horsemen to upgrade to samurai. For some reason I can build samurai and upgrade other units, but my horsemen can't upgrade to either samurai or knights. Am I missing something?

Re: Upgrading to samurai.

Originally posted by Txurce
    I'm playing Japan for the first time, and have stockpiled a lot of vet horsemen to upgrade to samurai. For some reason I can build samurai and upgrade other units, but my horsemen can't upgrade to either samurai or knights. Am I missing something?

Download 1.21f.
    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Samurai replace Knights.

Are you sure you are trying to upgrade in cities with barracks?

(Dumb question, but I had to ask!)
      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I play on a Mac, so no 1.21f for me yet... but I didn't think this particular upgrade was a result of that patch.

Yes, I'm trying to upgrade in cities with barracks. I can upgrade warriors into swordsman, but not horsemen into samurai.

I could complicate the issue further by saying that I sailed halfway around the world in galleys to take a Chinese city for access to iron, but that is not the problem. I have connecting harbors, and the resultant ability to build samurai.

It's weird.

Comment

Stupid question 2:

Do you have enough gold to perform the upgrade?
          (80 golds IIRC)

AJ
          " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
          - emperor level all time
          - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

Yeah, I have around 800 gold. And trust me, I'm looking forward to the stupid question I didn't think of!

Comment

Do you have Chivalry?
              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Yes, I have chivalry. As far as I know, that's why I can build samurai.

Comment

does the city that have the barracks have access to both iron and horses? if not you won't be able to upgrade

Comment

Actually, I think you don't need horses, but it has access to iron, which is why I can build samurai. I just can't upgrade horsemen. (Buy yes, I do have access to horsemen - I can still build more of them.)

Comment

I just returned briefly to the game, confirmed all f the above, and still no ability to upgrade. Maybe it's a bug in the Mac version of 1.17 - I'll bring it up in the Mac section.

I knew there was a reason why I had avoided playing as Japan.

Comment

Firaxis' shot

I guess it indeed sounds like a bug.

Firaxis could/should clarify.

AJ
                        " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
                        - emperor level all time
                        - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

Definitely a bug. I upgrade horsemen -> samurai all the time, both with 1.17 and 1.21.

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I was waiting for word from the Japan expert!

Now I'll contact Firaxis. Thanks, everyone.

Comment

Can your ships not safely cross oceans yet? Even if you managed to hug a coastline or find a quick spot to run through with galleys the regular trade vessels won't. You have to wait till you get ships that cross ocean squares to begin to trade/share resources I think. Though if you can build swordsman/other units that need Iron I suppose you are getting it. Oh well, just a thought.
                              "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

Working...
                              X