Trade by sea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade by sea?

In my last game I had lost all of my coastal cities but I was still able to trade with nations across the sea. It seems my trade route across the sea should have no longer been an option because I lost my last coastal city. I was even able to conduct new trades across the sea without having any coastal cities. Anyone know if there was another reason why I was able to continue trading without having those coastal cities?
    -PrinceBimz-

I don't know. It shouldn't be the case. I frequently pillage roads and that cancels trade, so why not destroying a harbor?
    Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
    Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

If your roads are linked to another civ with coastal cities, then your trade can go through their harbors. If you go to war with them or they go to war with your trading partner, you'll lose your route, though.

Comment

So that's how I sometimes get my trade network accross seas.
        Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
        Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Interesting. I was wondering how I could trade with my cities on another continent if neither of them had harbors...
          I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

That clears it up! So as long as I am at Peace with another country I will be using their harbors, roads, and rails. That is how my trade was continuing because there were many of rails heading to the docks of other countries that I was not at war with.
            -PrinceBimz-

Comment

I thought you had to have a RoP in order to use another civs harbors and airports, but not their roads.

Comment

As far as I know you can also use airports for trading, so you don't need a harbour. But that comes then pretty late in the game.
                I think Alpha Wolf 64 is right: in order to use foreign harbours you would need right of passage with that civ.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucilla
                  I think Alpha Wolf 64 is right: in order to use foreign harbours you would need right of passage with that civ.
                  I'm not so sure about this. As I mentioned, I had two cities on another continent and no harbours at all. But when those cities got connected to AI's cities on that continent, I suddenly could trade with them. Two things are worth mentioning: the AI's cities were older than my own cities on that continent (which indicates that they could have harbours) and I had peace with all AI civs on that moment.
                  I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexnm

I'm not so sure about this. As I mentioned, I had two cities on another continent and no harbours at all. But when those cities got connected to AI's cities on that continent, I suddenly could trade with them. Two things are worth mentioning: the AI's cities were older than my own cities on that continent (which indicates that they could have harbours) and I had peace with all AI civs on that moment.
                    You only need to be at peace with a civ to use their roads for trade purpposes. This is a tenuous relationship because if you go to war with them, your trades through their territory will cease.

Speedy
                    Barry Caudill
                    Executive Producer
                    Firaxis Games
                    2K Games/Take 2 Interactive

Comment

Thanks for clarifying this, Speedy

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Bump

You only need to be at peace with a civ to use their roads for trade purpposes. This is a tenuous relationship because if you go to war with them, your trades through their territory will cease.

Speedy
                        Speedy,
                        What about harbors and airports? Peace or RoP?

Comment

Originally posted by ALPHA WOLF 64

Speedy,
                          What about harbors and airports? Peace or RoP?
                          To the best of my knowledge you need only be at peace to share access to a trade network. Of course, that works both ways...you may want to be careful how others are using your network if you know what I mean...

Speedy
                          Barry Caudill
                          Executive Producer
                          Firaxis Games
                          2K Games/Take 2 Interactive

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Bump

To the best of my knowledge you need only be at peace to share access to a trade network. Of course, that works both ways...you may want to be careful how others are using your network if you know what I mean...

Speedy
                            OK, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X