• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaybe

The non-polluters:
    Hydro Plant; 2; 0; Yes; 3
    Nuclear Plant; 2; 0; Yes; 3
    Solar Plant; 2; 0; Yes; 3
    So the only difference between the solar and the hydro plants is that the hydro plants have to be near water? does the solar reduce pollution?

Comment

I have yet to have a meltdown. So other than the stuff already said, I can't really help.
      Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
      Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
        So the only difference between the solar and the hydro plants is that the hydro plants have to be near water? does the solar reduce pollution?
        Sure enough, I had a typo, which I have now corrected. (Nuclear Plant: Production factor of 4).

If you've got water, you can build (cheaper) hydro plants, or you can wait for the tech and build (expensive) solar plants. I really don't remember about actual 'negative' pollution from solar. There are just too many civ games -- I be confused.

JB

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe

Sure enough, I had a typo, which I have now corrected. (Nuclear Plant: Production factor of 4).

If you've got water, you can build (cheaper) hydro plants, or you can wait for the tech and build (expensive) solar plants. I really don't remember about actual 'negative' pollution from solar. There are just too many civ games -- I be confused.

JB
          Ah great, thanks for the info.so nukes are the best, if in a stable gov't.

Comment

Nuclear plants are a MUST late in the game. I wouldn't be too worried about meltdown. I'd just do what is in my power to keep those people happy. Its no big deal at all. I'd be more worried about a nuke.
            "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
            "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
            "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

One of my biggest complaints with Civ 3 (yet unfixed!) is the small effect of nuclear blasts, they do so little harm (well, this has been discussed in some excellent threads already). And this is why you don't worry much about meltdowns, you get some pop killed and some pollution, but with your tons of workers it will be cleared so soon.

Thusly, come on, and build those Nuclear Plants!
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

IMO the area should stay uncleanable poluted. Same for nuking. As far as I know there isnt yet a effective way to remove such a mess (especially not with shovels ).
                That would make you think twice about building nuclear plants and nuclear weapons would be more scary.
                If it is no fun why do it?
                Live happy or die

Comment

Maybe, maybe... at least as a suggestion this is OK. Though I would also prefer more of the impact itself - MORE population loss, MORE improvement loss, ALL units in target square killed, RANGE of 3 tiles, with a chance to destroy things there.
                  Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

The funny thing is that actually, a nuclear plant is NOT destroyed if it meltdown, like it would be logical to be.
                    I then already had TWO meltdown in a row in the same city
                    Science without conscience is the doom of the soul.

Comment

Selling Power Plants

When you build Hoover, or for that matter, when you have hydro, solar, nuclear, etc., can you sell all of the inefficient, older plants (like coal) without losing the production multiplier benefits that the older plants provide? Would be great to get rid of the polluting coal plants if they no longer contribute.

Comment

Re: Selling Power Plants

Originally posted by latenight
                        When you build Hoover, or for that matter, when you have hydro, solar, nuclear, etc., can you sell all of the inefficient, older plants (like coal) without losing the production multiplier benefits that the older plants provide? Would be great to get rid of the polluting coal plants if they no longer contribute.
                        In my 30-04-2002 20:42 post, I have a list of the production enhancers. Identity; Production; Pollution; Replaces; Maintenance

'Replaces'
                        indicates that it replaces any previous power plant (factory is not a power plant).

JB

Comment

Re: Selling Power Plants

Originally posted by latenight
                          Yes sell the coal plants. If they are still in the list they are still polluting.

Only one power plant is active but when you build the Hoover Dam the coal plants are still there and still poluting even though they don't contibute to production. The only problem with this is you MUST not lose the city with the Hoover Dam after selling of the coal plants.

Comment

If you lose the city with Hoover you're probably hooped anyway.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom201
                              IMO the area should stay uncleanable poluted. Same for nuking. As far as I know there isnt yet a effective way to remove such a mess (especially not with shovels ).
                              That would make you think twice about building nuclear plants and nuclear weapons would be more scary.
                              You can use the editor to make pollution cleaning take longer.... Will affect all pollution, though....
                              Get 84 Resources, 96 Resources, or the NEW 153 Resources! Get Rockier Bonus Grassland versions1.0 or 2.0! Get My Mix of Snoopy and Womocks early terrain! Get Varied Goody Huts!
                              Upcoming Mods - Optimator (with over 1000 new units!!!) & Godzilla, Revenge of the Kaiju!
                              I am in dire need of new dino and Kaiju units!

Comment

Originally posted by Amesjustin

You can use the editor to make pollution cleaning take longer.... Will affect all pollution, though....
                                hi ,

wait a minute , pollution is pollution , or is there a difference now , between pollution and , huh , "pollution" , ...?????

allas , LOL , have a nice day
                                - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                                - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                                WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Working...
                                X