Most Useful Advisor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Useful Advisor

In Civ III, there there are many questions to be asked. What is the deal with the advisors? Are they of any use? Which one is the most useful?

And I ask the latter question.

Personally, I'd have to say that the military advisor is the one I find most useful. Especially when I have successfully planted a spy with the enemy civs. Plus he can tell me how my military measures up when compared with an enemy. When I am about to annex another civ's lands, I need to know whether I don't stand a chance, stand an even chance (in both cases I then decide to build up military) or if I'll mop the floor with them.

EDIT: Damn. I forgot to check "Yes post a poll"!
    "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
    "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

I concur. The military advisor is the most useful for most of the time. If nothing else, I can use him for easy view of the other civ's governments. The foreign advisor can occasionally be useful to fine-tune trade deals, but thats about it.
    Making the Civ-world a better place (and working up to King) one post at a time....

Comment

I like to set long queues in the Sci advisor.
      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Military advisor. After that, possibly the foreign advisor.

Comment

Foreign advisor (helps me with deals), and military (tells me how strong my army is).

All other advisors look useless. Thay tell you what you already know, complain because you don't give everything to them, etc.

Comment

I actually kind of find the foreign advisor useful since he lets me know how far I can push the other civ. I dont have a clue how much their coal is worth , but this guy lets me know so I dont piss off the other civ with a bad deal.

I think they all need working on. They dont say much. I have heard this many times on this board , but the culture advisor sucks! All she says is I need to build more librarys , more universitys, more more more. I wish she would calm down and just tell me important things like where she thinks I should build up my cuture , and in fact what cities are in danger of getting flipped. Wouldnt that be cool.

The science advisor , well all he does is complain too. I mean seriously all he says is he needs more money, maybe he should tell me what the other civs already have for techs , and what his opinion is.

The Domestic advisor doesnt do much good either , Im not sure how to make that one better.

Comment

Originally posted by loleod
              I actually kind of find the foreign advisor useful since he lets me know how far I can push the other civ. I dont have a clue how much their coal is worth , but this guy lets me know so I dont piss off the other civ with a bad deal.
              Yep, foreign advisor is somewhat useful. But the way he's always right makes me feel like I'm trading with him instead of the other civ. Can't he at least have a 20% margin of error?

I think they all need working on. They dont say much. I have heard this many times on this board , but the culture advisor sucks! All she says is I need to build more librarys , more universitys, more more more. I wish she would calm down and just tell me important things like where she thinks I should build up my cuture , and in fact what cities are in danger of getting flipped. Wouldnt that be cool.
              Indeed. I'd like to know if a city culture-flips BEFORE the military advisor has to report with the news that the people have overthrown my governor there.

The science advisor , well all he does is complain too. I mean seriously all he says is he needs more money, maybe he should tell me what the other civs already have for techs , and what his opinion is.
              Absolutely. But the science advisor does have some use. He can be used to plan out your research strategy, what tech you want to work for, and the like. And it is ridiculous that he demands more funding constantly, even when you set science to 100%

The Domestic advisor doesnt do much good either , Im not sure how to make that one better.
              They can start by stopping her from asking you if you want to switch to aqueduct/hospital every time a city tries and fails to grow beyond size 6 or size 12. Damn that's annoying. However, the way she is able to judge how much it will cost to hurry projects is valuable to your strategy if you do decide to rush things.

I'd say the only one that doesn't need too much improvement is, again the military advisor. I don't see any way they can improve on him.
              "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
              "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
              "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Military. Worst: Domestic Nag.
                Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Foreign Advisor
                  "The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796

Comment

Actually, the advisors in Civ II were of more use, because their advise was often somewhat sane, if not always totally correct. And they were much, much funnier indeed! I really miss them...

Comment

The that comes up with the plan to bump off the Domestic Nag.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

A coup would be nice there
                        Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                        Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

The military advisor is good. There's a lot of information there.

The Science advisor is good too. I like that we can set up research queues now.

The domestic advisor has useful information, but is annoying when she tells me that I need to build aqueducts and hospitals.

The trade advisor should be more useful. It would be very nice if all your trade agreements were detailed there.

The foreign advisor could also be a lot better. I remember the helpful screen that came up in Civ II from the foreign advisor. Much more information. Right now, we have no knowledge of how far ahead or behind in tech the AI is.

The culture advisor is probably the least useful. "We should build temples to watch the people flock to us." Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X