Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which civs could be replaced by a worthier civ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, we all should know what puts a civ in our out Civ III: money! Yes, people at Firaxis want to please their customers, so they put civs most people would like to play.

That's the main reason behind Americans, Sioux (Civ II), Iroquois, Japanese and that many europeans. There are south african civs far more important than the Zulus, but they are less famous. The game is not sold in Arab countries? Then they completely ignored the importance of Muslim civs. Jeanne D'Arc never ruled the French, but she propably as famous as Napoléon (who actually ruled them for several years). And there are dozens of American wonders.

Firaxis never did care about History or reality - they just give us what the Hollywood-minded customers wanted...

Comment

• Thats an interesting point too. The "grain line" ... noodles to the north, rice to the south!
      Its a very significant difference. Wheat is one of the big advantages the Europeans had over the East. Presumably the same for Northern China over Southern.

Rice has the advantage of allowing high populations in relatively small areas if there is enough water. Some areas allow for three crops a year.

Wheat does not need as much water. In some areas two crops can be managed by using different strains of wheat. However the big advantage of wheat is the amount of work needed for growing it is much less and mostly during short intervals. This allows for wheat based cultures to spend much larger amounts of time doing other things besides grow food. Not always really good things but still other things. The Vikings used the downtime to go raiding.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mad Hab
        Well, we all should know what puts a civ in our out Civ III: money! Yes, people at Firaxis want to please their customers, so they put civs most people would like to play.
        Uhhh... would you rather play Civs that you don't want to play? This looks like an insult, but it isn't...

The game is not sold in Arab countries? Then they completely ignored the importance of Muslim civs.
        So make your own.

Firaxis never did care about History or reality - they just give us what the Hollywood-minded customers wanted...
        So... any guesses to whose DL this is?
        Lime roots and treachery!
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

• Why? The Roman civ started (real life here) around the early ancient age, and expired by the late ancient age. Meanwhile, the Americans got their start in the late mideival age, and are still around in the modern age. That means that the Romans were around for less than one age, and the Americans were around for more than 2 ages.

What the romans is stil here
          3-4 ages just because there not a power at the moment.
          A lot longer than you
          Denday

Comment

• Its a very significant difference. Wheat is one of the big advantages the Europeans had over the East. Presumably the same for Northern China over Southern.

Rice has the advantage of allowing high populations in relatively small areas if there is enough water. Some areas allow for three crops a year.

Wheat does not need as much water. In some areas two crops can be managed by using different strains of wheat. However the big advantage of wheat is the amount of work needed for growing it is much less and mostly during short intervals. This allows for wheat based cultures to spend much larger amounts of time doing other things besides grow food. Not always really good things but still other things. The Vikings used the downtime to go raiding.
            Cool post Ethelred. I love economic history.

The funny thing about rice is you can keep adding labor input (people) to the same amount of area and keep increasing output. With most other crops, the number of workers per area cannot keep being increased ... more workers does not lead to more output. That is the real reason rice allows such high population per area, like you mentioned.

I didn't know the other stuff in your post, very cool.

I know that will tend to make the northern wheat Chinese different from the southern rice Chinese, but I'm still surprised if they are more different than the Mandarin types are from the Japanese.
            Good = Love, Love = Good
            Evil = Hate, Hate = Evil

Comment

• The Romans are definately a more important historical civ than the US. One must not only look at the period in history they were around, but also at their impact towards the future. The Romans have done a great deal.
              Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
              Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grrr
                The Romans are definately a more important historical civ than the US. One must not only look at the period in history they were around, but also at their impact towards the future. The Romans have done a great deal.
                I will wager that, thanks to the sheer volume of information output involved in America's era, ultimately posterity will record the USA as a more influential civilization than Rome.

America touches parts of the world Rome didn't know existed.

Hmm, that sounded kinda dirty...
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• So when did America invent Iron working?
                  Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                  Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

• When did Rome invent the airplane?
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• (Oh, and the Romans didn't invent Iron Working, anyway!)
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by nato

I know that will tend to make the northern wheat Chinese different from the southern rice Chinese, but I'm still surprised if they are more different than the Mandarin types are from the Japanese.
                        I don't get that one either. Japanese are pretty different to me. I don't know much about the China though. A lot in comparison to the average American but that still isn't much.

Chinese-Americans are mostly from Southern China, those that still speak Chinese speak Cantonese not Mandarin. Japanese sounds very different to me. Cantonese allways sounds like an arguement, the tonal qualities of Japanese is more subtle but since I don't understand either I am only going on how it sounds to me.

I can pronounce Japanese, thats about it.

Comment

• I had a Japanese roommate and worked for a major Japanese company for a while, and now when I hear Chinese, I can instantly tell "that's not Japanese!"

Chinese does sound harsher and a bit more caustic on the ears.
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by Grrr
                            The Romans are definately a more important historical civ than the US. One must not only look at the period in history they were around, but also at their impact towards the future. The Romans have done a great deal.
                            Like what? Giving us the Catholic church?
                            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• You're ahead of me!

I used to be able to count to ten in Japanese, now I can make it to six I think.

Chinese I have no clue. I've always wondered if because I have ZERO musical ability if it would make learning Chinese harder.
                              Good = Love, Love = Good
                              Evil = Hate, Hate = Evil

Comment

• *desperately tries to drag topic back on*

So who's more worthless...the French or the English?

Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                                X