Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkG
    this list copares apples and oranges
    this is a sales list. it shows what's selling the most during a specific period. it's not a "what is the best game out there" list

Perhaps it's the most representative, as people vote with their wallets on this list.

Still, Civ3 has had it's spot in the sun for awhile (seems to have done better than SMAC I believe).
    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Speaking of the Sims' obvious success, is there any other example for a game with 4 (!) expansion packs?
      "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Originally posted by lockstep
        Speaking of the Sims' obvious success, is there any other example for a game with 4 (!) expansion packs?
        You're sure you don't have any idea ?

Civ2 someone ?
        Science without conscience is the doom of the soul.

Comment

I didn't mean multiplayer versions, gold editions, revamped graphic editions and the like - I expect all this for the Sims in the future. I'm speaking of 'pure' expansion packs that also add single-player stuff, a la SMAC-X. Any example for a game that did as good as the Sims?
          "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

huh

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
            Who in the hell plays "The Sims"?
            what is the sims

you too
            Denday

Comment

The sims is the best-selling pc game of all time now. Basically you control the lives of a bunch of onscreen people. It's definitely interesting and a fun for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay37
                The sims is the best-selling pc game of all time now. Basically you control the lives of a bunch of onscreen people. It's definitely interesting and a fun for a while.
                There's now 4 expansion sets for it. They seem to have done something right with The Sims, because normally to change the HUGE mistakes of a game, you'd need to release a sequel. All Maxis need to do to fix shortcomings in The Sims is release loads and loads of expansion sets. Hot Date and Vacation really changed the mechanics of the game (in them, the family you are controlling are no longer restricted to a Big Brother House style of environment, they can go downtown in Hot Date, or go on a vacation in one of four places in Vacation).

I see why it continues to sell.
                "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay37
                  As I said, it didn't seem fun to me even at the start.
                  Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I like it. I have one expansion, hotdate. I don't play it nearly as much as CivIII, though. To me, the fun is getting various people to hate each other. Like when you kiss some guy's wife, he'll come over and slap you. Now that's entertainment.
                    "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
                    -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
                      Who in the hell plays "The Sims"?
                      I do.

Hell, I may have played this game more over a longer period of time than any other game with the exception of the original Civ (of course I also played SMAC, WarCraft, Diablo, and others for so many hours that it is hard to compare). It is just so addictive. The concepts are easy to grasp. The elements just all fit together nicely. There is a great balance in do I improve my mood by having some fun or do I work out to get that extra body point for a new promotion. Do I use the extra money for a new bed or do I buy the more enjoyable television? So many choices that are amazingly simplistic. Can play for like fifteen minutes and then go on to something else.

And I am just one that has come from a strategy background in gaming. Recently, I gave the game to my girlfriend so that she would understand why I liked videogames. It worked like a charm. She loves it. Women make over half of the Sim players, the most successful women gaming ever. Plus, it was a must have for the first year for any serious gamer. No wonder it is the most successful game of all time.

And just wait. Sims Online will be out soon. When that happens, I will be able to show my girlfriend the fun in online gaming and the rest of America will rebuy this simplistic game with an amazing amount of fun.
                      About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

The Sims is a pretty stupid game as far as I'm concerned. However it's software engineering and marketing is well superior to ...
                        Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                        Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Working...
                        X