Interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interface

I think Fraxis really missed a chance to make a great CIV interface in this game. For example, in the late game your always moving your units around, and if your playing on a large enough map it's enough to drive you insane. Why not instead just have a system where you can select large numbers of units of the same type or in the same area with a few simple comands, hold down ctrl sort of stuff. All the problems people have been having with workers could easily be fixed with a few additional commands. And would somebody please tell me why there is no more sleep mode? It was extreamly usfull, and with modification it could have been a huge time-saver.

Also irritating is the lack of a patrol command, which would make sense in the real world.

-ben

Ummmm. Ben...

1. There is a group command. All non-fortified units of the same type in a stack will follow the same movement order if you press 'j' prior to sending the first guy off. That came with 1.17 and was tinkered with in 1.21

2. There is a sentry command. Press 'y'. or 'Shift-y' if you want them to wake when an enemy approaches.

3. Patrol. Well, ummmm, errr... Your thread is not entirely without merit.
    Last edited by notyoueither; April 27, 2002, 03:33.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

patrol? as in have a unit move 3 squares left and then 3 squares right?

sounds like a decnt idea, for border patrol and stuff (2 moves+on roads=6 moves) but i wouldn;t use it.

good idea though.
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

SMAC had a patrol command.
        I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

A simple scroll bar for Lum Sum will save a lot of clicking on trade.

Comment

Having a patrol and a sleep attached would be good could use it for stooping annoying settlers walking through yor land
            Denday

Comment

I stoop settlers whenever I can.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Damn those settlers. They built a city right next to London yesterday. I culturally assimilated it two turns later.
                Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

And probably disbanded it another turn later.
                  "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Yeah. I built a settler.

Comment

I don't remember it all to well (been a while since I last played SMAC), but I really liked how you could set a unit to auto-explore. I don't think it's the same as patrol, but may be wrong...

IMO, Firaxis has done a pretty good job on the patches with unit commands. I would prefer a CTP2 type of unit stacking -- being able to group multiple unit types together and move them as one cohesive unit -- but stack movement is atleast somewhat easier with the patches in Civ3.

-- twistedx

Comment

Originally posted by twistedx
                        I don't remember it all to well (been a while since I last played SMAC), but I really liked how you could set a unit to auto-explore. I don't think it's the same as patrol, but may be wrong...
                        -- twistedx
                        Well than you should like it in Civ III as well. Hit E for auto explore. I only use it to map out the ocean myself but some people even use it for early game exploration. The units will explore the black areas. When there are no more black spots on the map the E key no longer functions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ethelred

Well than you should like it in Civ III as well. Hit E for auto explore. I only use it to map out the ocean myself but some people even use it for early game exploration. The units will explore the black areas. When there are no more black spots on the map the E key no longer functions.
                          Cool!

I must have missed that hotkey when I was looking over the docs. Thanks!!!

-- twistedx

Comment

Finally a way to explore those silly oceans. I forgot about that.

Comment

Working...
                            X