Peculiarity of culture flip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peculiarity of culture flip

I had a size 1 city culture flip to me on monarch. Fine. The funny thing is that the population is unproductive because they are 100% opposed to my oppression.

Doesnt it make more sense for a city that flips to you that the citizens would be happier than normal?

This may have happened with previous versions and I just didnt notice it, I'm not sure.
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

i've been ranting about that for months. another thing firaxis will eventually fix... you should be see as a liberator of opressed people (even when you conquer an opressed people by force)
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Ya, that is pretty annoying... What REALLY bugs me is when I conquer a city and the people in it are angry saying "Hell no, we won't go". You would expect them to be angry that citizens of that city were drafted and killed, but be happy that the draft has ended.

Then again, I usually just set everybody in a conquered city to entertainers and starve them down to 1 so that I don't have to deal with them...

-- twistedx

Comment

Once again, If your friends and family were draft to fight a war, and the enemy took your hometown, would you be happy with them?
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Re: Peculiarity of culture flip

Originally posted by SpencerH
          I had a size 1 city culture flip to me on monarch. Fine. The funny thing is that the population is unproductive because they are 100% opposed to my oppression.

Doesnt it make more sense for a city that flips to you that the citizens would be happier than normal?
          NOTHING about Culture Flipping makes sense.

It is just a braindead concept some half drunk Firaxian thought up at a beerfest.

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
            i've been ranting about that for months. another thing firaxis will eventually fix... you should be see as a liberator of opressed people (even when you conquer an opressed people by force)
            If you think about it, this could be set up to be a useful tool for Democracies or republics waging wars against communist or despotic governments. If I as a republic capture a city from a despot the citizens should be happy for a while (whether they stay happy depends on the situation). On the other hand, if I as a despot capture a city from a republic the citizens should be unhappy (as now happens).
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

I posted a thread about this phenomenon about 2 months ago. I call it "Inherited Discontent", and no, it doesn' make sense.
              "The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796

Comment

Re: Re: Peculiarity of culture flip

While I like the idea and general implementation of culture flip, I also agree that change is needed in the unhappiness factors of those flipping civilians... if they want to join me, they should be happy about it. As for the draft, people traumatized by losing their loved ones in war probably won't jump for joy simply because their city has also been taken in a bloody battle. Still, there is something to be said for ending the draft and the happiness that should benefit... it's a tough call.

Originally posted by Coracle
                NOTHING about Culture Flipping makes sense.

It is just a braindead concept some half drunk Firaxian thought up at a beerfest.
                Ah, the joy of senseless and pointless posts. How did I ever enjoy Apolyton before this kind of stuff came around?
                Lime roots and treachery!
                "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Peculiarity of culture flip

Originally posted by cyclotron7
                  Ah, the joy of senseless and pointless posts. How did I ever enjoy Apolyton before this kind of stuff came around?
                  Greatly.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
                    Once again, If your friends and family were draft to fight a war, and the enemy took your hometown, would you be happy with them?
                    You miss the point. The unhappiness from drafting comes from the fear to be sent to the frontline. As I capture the city, I am a new leader. They don't know if I'm about to draft or no, so they don't have to protest against drafting - yet.
                    Science without conscience is the doom of the soul.

Comment

If you think about it, this could be set up to be a useful tool for Democracies or republics waging wars against communist or despotic governments. If I as a republic capture a city from a despot the citizens should be happy for a while (whether they stay happy depends on the situation). On the other hand, if I as a despot capture a city from a republic the citizens should be unhappy (as now happens).
                      Yes, that's why the Vietnamese were so happy to be "liberated" by the Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachriel

Yes, that's why the Vietnamese were so happy to be "liberated" by the Americans.
                        I'm not sure if thats a joke or not?

Europe was happy to be liberated from Nazi Germany though. Do you figure the Afghan's were unhappy about the end of the taliban regime?

Comment

Actually, the Northern Alliance isn't really any better than the Taliban.
                          "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
                          -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Off the top of my head, I think that at least 50% of the population wouldn't agree with you (ie women). Any that appreciate art and music wouldn't agree with you. Men who dont want to grow beards wouldn't agree with you either.

Comment

I'm not sure if thats a joke or not?

Europe was happy to be liberated from Nazi Germany though. Do you figure the Afghan's were unhappy about the end of the taliban regime?
                              "Happiness" in Civ3 is actually a measure of productivity. Afghanistan will take a generation to return to any sort of normal productivity -- unless there is massive foreign investment in infrastructure. Meanwhile, the survivors pick through the rubble and search for lost relatives.

Comment

Working...
                              X