In Defense of Galleons sinking Submarines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Defense of Galleons sinking Submarines

The following news article caught my eye and made me think about cross-century naval battles...

"JANE'S DEFENCE UPGRADES -- The Chilean Leander-class frigate PFG
    Lynch has emerged from a comprehensive modernization program that
    will prolong its service life until 2012, reports Jane's Defence
    Upgrades.

The 18-month refit included a complete overhaul of the existing
    propulsion system, auxiliary machinery and communications systems.

Additionally, the original MRS 3 fire-control system for the twin
    4.5-in guns was replaced by a new, locally developed Maiten system;
    the Shorts Seacat surface-to-air missile launcher was replaced by a
    20-mm Phalanx close-in weapon system."

Galleons can be upgraded just like any other ship.

With no engine noise to distract your sonarmen, a passive sonar installation would do wonders. You could put a helo platform on the fantail and presto you have a formidable Anti-Submarine Warfare vessle.

Every turn we pay upkeep costs on our military units under most governments. Included in these upkeep costs could be modernization costs as well?

Anybody outthere have other thoughts?

Very respectfully,

Jerry Sindle
    Very respectfully,

Jerry

Re: In Defense of Galleons sinking Submarines

Originally posted by Jerry Sindle
    Every turn we pay upkeep costs on our military units under most governments. Included in these upkeep costs could be modernization costs as well?
    No, upgrading is modernization. A galley can't hold a helicopter, the boat isn't large enough.

Maintenance is feeding the people, repairing, etc.

It seems silly to have a sub sunk by a galley, but it doesn't really matter to me.

Comment

For Civ4 this would be cool. Actually keeping those ancient units around and upgrading them, so that you had galleons with modern arms, etc. You'd need something like a unit workshop to do it right though.
      Seemingly Benign
      Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

The PFG Lynch was completed in 1974, so I don't believe it would really be classified as a Galleon...

Here is a picture of it before the refit.

-- twistedx

Comment

Originally posted by twistedx
          The PFG Lynch was completed in 1974, so I don't believe it would really be classified as a Galleon...

Here is a picture of it before the refit.

-- twistedx
          Image didn't post correctly, so here's the URL...

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Comment

Pardon my choice of words. I was referring to the fact that ships could be upgraded and used the Frigate Lynch as an example. I totaly agree with all of you - a frigate is not a galleon.

Having said that, with the right technology - a galleon can be a frigate.

Very respectfully,

Jerry Sindle
            Very respectfully,

Jerry

Comment

nah sorry, a Galleon is made of wood and its huge body has a bulky size. Frigates are made of wood too, but with a slimer body. You can never make a Frigate out of a Galleon without redoing the whole body and thats redoing the whole ship.

Also you can never upgrade a wooden ship to a steel ship without redoing the whole ship.

You can however equip a Galleon with more cannons so that it has more firepower. But the downsides from the bulky body still apply.

Comment

TwistedX "That page is not available"
                Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Re: In Defense of Galleons sinking Submarines

Originally posted by Jerry Sindle
                  the Shorts Seacat surface-to-air missile launcher was replaced by a
                  20-mm Phalanx close-in weapon system."
                  With a phalanx onboard, it ought to be of use against tanks!

Ok ok - it's a poor allusion to the spearman/tanks situation

Comment

It is a very poor comparision. A better one would have been the refitting of the USS Merrimack into the ironclad CSS Virginia. It had a wooden hull, but was covered with iron plating.

Furthermore, Subs being attacked by Galleons, or any other ship prior to destroyers is not a good idea.

Steele
                    If this were a movie, there'd be a tunnel or something near here for us to escape through.....

Comment

Originally posted by Grrr
                      TwistedX "That page is not available"
                      Really weird -- it was up this morning... Anyway, just do a search for PFG Lynch on Yahoo if you really want to see a pic...

-- twistedx

Comment

I agree. There is no way anything less than a destroyer should even touch a sub.

However, what if the sub was on the surface and did not see the galley and the galley attacked and sunk the sub with a lucky hit???

Gotta be a 1 in 100 chance of that somewhere?

R:PM
                        We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by RPMisCOOL
                          I agree. There is no way anything less than a destroyer should even touch a sub.

However, what if the sub was on the surface and did not see the galley and the galley attacked and sunk the sub with a lucky hit???

Gotta be a 1 in 100 chance of that somewhere?

R:PM
                          Much less than 1/100 I think. However, there is a significant chance of a mistake on board the sub leading to catastrophic failure; anything from running aground to a torpedo exploding on board.

Comment

Originally posted by steelehc
                            Furthermore, Subs being attacked by Galleons, or any other ship prior to destroyers is not a good idea.

Steele
                            I agree. Subs should be totally invisible to galleys, unless the sub is attacking (pre-sonar subs temporarily surface to find their targets), then it should have a potentially lethal bombard, and a retreat.

Comment

In defense of Jerry Sindle

A valiant attempt Jerry Sindle!

Comment

Working...
                              X