Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firaxis: why is there NO OIL in my game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a map with a missing resource would provide an interesting challenge. I mean, if no one has it, then it's still fair. Maybe there will be scenarios based around this premise. It would be a good way to prevent a spaceship win, for example.
    "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
    -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

I agree punkbass.

BTW Denday, we are not in the 1920's anymore (No matter what video's our Geo teacher showed us to the contrary), we use Diesel powered or electric locomotives these days.
      Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
      Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Originally posted by Grrr
        I agree punkbass.

BTW Denday, we are not in the 1920's anymore (No matter what video's our Geo teacher showed us to the contrary), we use Diesel powered or electric locomotives these days.
        Yeah, so there should be some way to supercede resource dependencies once new technology comes around. So iron is made obsolete by aluminum and tanks can be built when it is discovered or rr's can be built when oil is discovered or x number of electric plants are built, a la small wonder...

-mm
        If Bush bought America, why shouldn't he sell Iraq?

Comment

I understand the shock that must occur to find that a resource is missing in the game. It's a game that becomes very unfamiliar territory. But it is no different than any other wierd land-mass, too-strong AI or whatever ...

-- just another challenge to overcome. I would personally probably take a few days off from the game, get a new perspective and enjoy the wierdness/Sci-Fi/Fantasy aspects of it.

JB

Comment

Against all odds, my rather large 200 AD empire has no access to any horses. I never have any trouble finding horses. But this game, despite having immediate access to iron, I have no access to horses. I know that the Iroqois have horses (I've seen the resource), but in the huge section of this pangea I've explored (about a third of the world) there is only one horse resource.

Odd. You bet. Horses are pretty common, usually.

Do I whine? No. Do I complain about Civ III being seriously flawed? Of course not. I am excited and interested in how I will handle the medieval-renaissance period.

Normally I use knights and cavalry with various support units to "impose my will" on other civs. Looks like I will have to deal with longbowman and cannons. I've castrated AI's by taking away their resources before. Why should I whine when an AI does it to me (I found the horses first, but the Iroqois got a setter there first).

I understand the annoyance, but why aren't you excited to see how the AI (and you) can handle a world without oil?

[ This space for rent ]

Comment

i love challenge.
              i had no oil, but made an emergency import, so that i was able to establish an expeditionary force and secure a source for further (ab)use. and i simply love rough starts, gotta keep those workers busy clearing the jungle

Comment

Sure, I had a great game months ago as the Germans where I was was rubber poor Caused my war w/ Ghandi to grind to a halt as I realized to my horror that all my hated enemies were surpassing me militarily and my dreams of panzer blitzes were fading fast. I had to squeeze three immensly intrusive cities, from the rubber to the coast on the other side of the world. Then I had to fortify like hell, rush buy improvements like crazy, and then hold on to it. It was awesome - typical resource driven imperialism. On the other hand, as I've said earlier, if I'd been the Germans and found, after an awesome game, that there were absolutely zero of the resource I needed to build my UU, I would not have found it so cool.
                "Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you." No they don't! They're just nerve stapled.

i like ibble blibble

Comment

I am playing a Huge Earth Map (satya's I think) with 16 civs in the correct starting locations. I am Germany and edited the map to make darn certain there was uranium in the Europe mountains for me. I also put oil in S. Italy and S. Spain just in case.

Well, once I get to those eras...are the resources still where I put them? Yes. But the ALL disappear shortly after I connect to them by road!! ALL of the oil and ALL the uranium! But the Aztecs now have 3 friggin' uraniums in the Andes.

GRRR.

So naturally I had to bonk some heads!
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

GRRR.

Err, yeah.

I now what you mean, but I don't want my head bonked.
                    Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                    Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Working...
                    X