Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firaxis: why is there NO OIL in my game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrFell
    You could say it's realistic. After all the world didn't necessarily have to have a source of oil. It's not necessary for it to exist. Adds a bit of variety to the game I'd say.
    Oh please, if I'm going to waste hours of my time as the Germans, gloating over the eventuality of panzers, then find out there is not one single lousy rotten drop of freakin oil in the whole bloody wolrld, I'm gonna be pissed. Pointless. I don't paly these games to be frustrated by stupid unfair limitations. Fair, sensible limitations, fine, thats called a challenge. No oil in the entire world, perhaps partly b/c THEY cancelled oil in plains, thats ridiculous.
    "Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you." No they don't! They're just nerve stapled.

i like ibble blibble

Comment

I like the fact that there aren't much resources in the game, because it forces you to go to war to get it. which is real

I don't want the game to be too easy!
      be free

Comment

Yeah, but this is no resources. This type of thing cries out for alternative technologies. It's more science fiction, but as a previous poster said, if there wasn't oil, we would have come up with cadmium powered tanks or something. In a perfectly deep game, we could have entire lines of research technology that we never have a need or chance to explore. This possibility is the ideal way to spice up the game ala SnOOpy's suggestion.

So, OT, but we should have double the number of techs, some useful as tanks (i.e. potentially v. useful), some useful as communism (i.e. somewhat useful depending on circumst.). In a typical game, maybe any one civ researches 50-75% of these.

JM$.02

-mm
        If Bush bought America, why shouldn't he sell Iraq?

Comment

Fixing Oil Shortages

If oil or other resource scarcity is a problem to anyone, they can adjust the Appearance Ratio up and the Disappearance Probability down on the Resources tab of the editor.

Or don't play the Germans on a small map.

Comment

Originally posted by bigvic

Oh no...I was saying such good things about the patch on other thread. Why do they do this kind of thing? Well, you can still mod, right? Does it change in pre done mods? I gotta mod to really enjoy the game anyway, so no big deal.
            The change was made prior to 1.21f. Plains didn't have oil in 1.17f either. I think the change was made in 1.61f.

It never made any sense to make the change though. Oil is not even remotely related to the present climate of the land above it. Mountains is about the only place its not found. A low hill can be an indicator of oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Ethelred

The change was made prior to 1.21f. Plains didn't have oil in 1.17f either. I think the change was made in 1.61f.

It never made any sense to make the change though. Oil is not even remotely related to the present climate of the land above it. Mountains is about the only place its not found. A low hill can be an indicator of oil.
              Yep. It depends where all those dinos and plants died and were preserved. I think that it should be in any land tile in Civ3. After all, we can find an example for each situation.
              Ex:
              Grassland/Jungle: Venezuela and Nigerian oil patches
              Plains: Alberta, Texas, Siberia
              Tundra: Alaska, Siberia, Antartica?
              Desert: Duh
              Hills:....give me a bit to think...
              "Dave, if medicine tasted good, I'd be pouring cough syrup on my pancakes." -Jimmy James, Newsradio

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by gopher

Hills:....give me a bit to think...
                Low hills not foothills that are the start of mountains.

Long Beach California. Signal Hill actually but the most of the oil is in Long Beach and Signal Hill is just one of a set of oil domes. I used to live right below the one that Cal State Long Beach is sitting on. Had a ground water injection station right in front of the house were fresh water was injected to stop incursion of sea water due to the oil that was removed.

Comment

Re: Fixing Oil Shortages

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                  If oil or other resource scarcity is a problem to anyone, they can adjust the Appearance Ratio up and the Disappearance Probability down on the Resources tab of the editor.

The problem is that you don't know your map is fubared until you''ve explored it all and reached the techs to reveal oil/rubber/uranium/whatever. If 99% of small maps are just fine but you're playing the exception, its too late by then to go back and redraw the map.

A warning message on map generation that some key resources are lower than normal or missing would help. Alternatively a system of allowing units to be built without the resource (say +50% extra cost for every missing one) would allow users the means of soldiering on.
                  To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                  H.Poincaré

Comment

Re: Fixing Oil Shortages

Originally posted by Cort Haus

Or don't play the Germans on a standard map, 'cause that's what mine was

--mm
                    If Bush bought America, why shouldn't he sell Iraq?

Comment

Re: Re: Fixing Oil Shortages

Originally posted by monkeyman

Or don't play the Germans on a standard map, 'cause that's what mine was
                      Well, that is unlucky. Was there no desert or tundra in the whole map? It may be worth noting early in a game after the world is visible.

Comment

responding to...
                        "Plains: Alberta, Texas, Siberia"

Is it really that much of a stretch to say that Texas leans towards desert and Alberta and Siberia lean towards tundra? I don't really think so. They are plains in a sense, but with so few terrain types, it's not outrageous to classify these as desert/tundra IMMHoO
                        Caelicola

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle

As far as I am concerned, they lied by omission when they marketed the game WITHOUT telling us that THIS Civ had NO SCENARIOS or Cheat Mode.
                          What? No oil sounds like a scenario to me.
                          "I'm a little confused. Are U.S. citizens allowed to kill suspected terrorists now?"
                          "I think so. But you have to be really, really sure that the person is a suspected terrorist! So be super-double sure that they make you feel nervous!"
                          "Well, this dude standing by my desk is wearing a really f***ed-up jacket - can I cap him?"

Comment

Originally posted by SirSebastian
                            responding to...
                            "Plains: Alberta, Texas, Siberia"

Is it really that much of a stretch to say that Texas leans towards desert and Alberta and Siberia lean towards tundra? I don't really think so. They are plains in a sense, but with so few terrain types, it's not outrageous to classify these as desert/tundra IMMHoO
                            Yup. There's no one here in my igloo except me and the polar bears...

Alberta is NOT Tundra. Unless you consider some of the best agricultural land in the world to be Tundra. There is far more oil in Alberta south of the permafrost line than in all of Saudi Arabia. Some of it is very thick gumbo, but it is still oil to run industries.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

If you accept as a given that the whole game is fubar you can squint real hard and embrace Civ3 not as a game, but as satire. As satire, its actually hilarious.

In other words, Civ3 is a classic.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
                                If you accept as a given that the whole game is fubar you can squint real hard and embrace Civ3 not as a game, but as satire. As satire, its actually hilarious.

In other words, Civ3 is a classic.
                                Jimmy you are a classic.

A classic ******. What kind cheese goes best with you.

The game is not fubared for many. It simply isn't the game you wanted. Go play Civ II. It will be much easier for everbody and you can go back to playing on deity instead of chieftan.

(astericks in place of actual word due to Greek censorship, a vile a perniscious habit).

Comment

Working...
                                X