Prisoners of war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prisoners of war

I don't surf here all that often so if someone has already mentioned this please forgive me.

What about a surrender option? Instead of a unit being destroyed it could have a chance to surrender to the attacker. You could then have POW exchanges as a bargaining chip with other civs and you could eventually get units back without having tobuild new ones.
    The poster formerly known as Xenia and Xev Worshiper.

Sounds like a good idea. Might be too complicated for the AI though
    "The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796

Comment

I don't feel like it... More micromanagement, and you'll have to know which unit is POW, which isn't etc...
      I'd rather have a simple and direct unit trading, like the current worker trading.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Actually, this was mentioned while Civ3 was still under development...but I guess this was one of many suggestions that where not incorporated into the game. It would make for interesting game play through.

Comment

This would be sweet! It mite cost a bit of food to keep them alive, and a POW camp building would be cool. If you sign a piece treaty they would be given back to their side, an if they lose you can either sluarter them or sell them as slaves or somthing cool like that!

Does civ3 have slaves? I don't have the game yet, its coming in a few days.
          Help negate the vegiterian movement!
          For every animal you don't eat! I'm gunna eat three!!

Comment

Originally posted by HazieDaVampire
            Does civ3 have slaves? I don't have the game yet, its coming in a few days.
            I wouldn't say their are slaves, per se, but you can reguard caputured workers as slaves. You can even sell them/trade them back to their owners, or you can sell/trade your own workers to another civ. That's kind of like having slaves, though I don't do it much.
            You're a man- you can be replaced.

Comment

Yeah, this is how it should work.
              The player should be able to tell his units to surrender if they stand no chance, a POW camp should be created. If the enemy doesn't have one he can chose to either kill them or his unit that captured them can 'detain' them, but this unit will no longer be able to fight because it is keeping the men detained. Once you have built a POW camp (It could be a simple city improvement) you can transport them there how you wish, These will be simple slave driven dudes who increase the production of a city. Should you win the war, these men are turned into workers and you can do as you please with them. If you lose, or make a piece treaty they will be given back to the civ, you could ask the person to pay you some money if you want, and if they agree of course. Should you put them in a city with no military units at all they will revolt, escape and take over the city. If the city is taken over by the civ that made the unit, the unit will be re-formed and back to normal. If it is taken over by another civ (not the one that made the unit) they will become slaves of that civ instead.

Comment

I like the idea of getting them back once you declare peace. A good incentive to help you or the AI out if you are fighting multiple front wars. You can then use them against your other opponents. Saves time and money against having to build more units.

I would also like to see that if you have too many locked up in one city they could forment a revolt. So there could be negative consequences to having taken too many prisoners. Perhaps just adding to the possibility of a city flipping.

Comment

This is a really strange idea. Talk about micromanagement...

Comment

Not really more so than now. You have a listing for POW's like you have now for captured workers. When you do a prisoner exchange they show up at your border and you take them back under countrol as if they were new units. It would be nice to trade back for some veteran units rather than having to build new ones that aren't so rated.

Comment

I think this wold be cool! I hope they add this to a patch, it seems pritty complicated on paper but its not to much more complicted than other stuff in this game!

Comment

The other cool thing would be if you capture a city that had a prisoner of war camp you would get back all your captured units in the city.

Comment

Nah, I don't think its worth the effort. Besides, once soldiers become POWs and are later released, most of them return to civilian life.
                          A proud citizen of the only convicted terrorist harboring nation!

.13 posts per day, and proud of it!

Comment

Maybe, to keep it simple, all ground units killed would generate one worker of that nationality under your control.

Right now, one of my problems with the civ3 worker capturing system is that there is no reason to actually want your units back... it's easier to go to war with a wimp, raze a few cities, and steal his workers than trade with an enemy for him to give you some of yours back. Perhaps enemy captured workers should only work at 75% rate, so that building your own workers would be a good investment and so you actually have some reason to give another player back his workers... because they're of less use to you as they are to him.
                            Lime roots and treachery!
                            "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by cyclotron7
                              Maybe, to keep it simple, all ground units killed would generate one worker of that nationality under your control.

Right now, one of my problems with the civ3 worker capturing system is that there is no reason to actually want your units back... it's easier to go to war with a wimp, raze a few cities, and steal his workers than trade with an enemy for him to give you some of yours back. Perhaps enemy captured workers should only work at 75% rate, so that building your own workers would be a good investment and so you actually have some reason to give another player back his workers... because they're of less use to you as they are to him.

Enemy captured workers only work at 50% of your workers now. Why RAISE it to 75%?
                              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                              X