Colonies improved in 1.21f!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by notyoueither
    Sorry Markos, this threads too far gone. I declare it the 'lets talk about where we're from thread' Apropos considering I live in a former (and still) colony...
    just lol
    this IS a good thread
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva848
      well, if you wanne do an exchange........antwerp IS beautifull!!!!!!!!!!
      eugh, that's belgium, ok europe, you can find it in any atlas!! even an american(had to, sorry!!! )

Of course it IS! (smal but beautiful/highly enjoyable)

All right, things are going off topic again. WHAT's WRONG WITH THOSE DUTCH SPEAKING PERSONS LATELY?

Kunnen jullie niet allemaal normaal en beschaafd doen?

(can't you guys act normally and civilized ?)

Kind of like it though ... We could make a compromise (typical Belgian) : we'll make a hybrid thread of this one ... posting about colonies if you have new thoughts/insights that you just MUST share ... and ...

making this a 'coming out' thread (regarding nationality/nations and cultures all around, mind you, not the movie aspect ) ...

Morb, nothing's wrong with Belgium. In fact it's one of the best places to live in the world in terms of welfare and education (as proven by many international economical reports).

For most foreigners (especially Americans ) , Belgium is pretty unknown, but Brussels (our capital) is more known around as it households NATO's headquarters and is (together with Frankfurt) an important political centre of Europe (European Parliament).

Belgium has three federacies (Dutch speaking --> the Flemish; French speaking --> the Wallons; and very minorally German speaking; a 'gift' from Germany after WW2), yet we're not fighting with each other (yet )

The Israelis and Palestinians might learn something from our way I suppose, but both are somewhat too blinded by emotions to notice, I suppose
      (not coming back to this subject again, this is meant to be a friendly place)

Locutus, wat was dat de vorige keer over die Finnen? Wat is het probleem daarmee
      (Locutus, last time you referred to the Fins. What's the 'problem' there?)

AJ
      " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
      - emperor level all time
      - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

i'm an educated american

Comment

And I who thought "evolution" was only recently put on the americans schooldesks? Do you guys in america still burn witches?

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
            I'm Canadian. I can locate Belguim on a map. Amrkans who live 300 mile south of me think I live in an igloo.

There are some well educated ones though. You'll find most around here are brighter than the average.
            Grrrrrrrr! As an American, I take more than a small amout of slight to that comment. Hell, I am even culutraly sensitive. In my office, I posted a sign reading "blame Canada", posted it again, en frencies, just to make any canuks feel at home...

Besides, from where I am sitting (SF bay Area), climtologicaly, you _do_ live in an igloo!
            Do the Job

Remember the World Trade Center

Comment

Hmmm. There's an interesting thread gone down the toilet.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Cory
                Grrrrrrrr! As an American, I take more than a small amout of slight to that comment. Hell, I am even culutraly sensitive. In my office, I posted a sign reading "blame Canada", posted it again, en frencies, just to make any canuks feel at home...

Besides, from where I am sitting (SF bay Area), climtologicaly, you _do_ live in an igloo!
                Go ahead and 'Blame Canada' We do it all the time ourselves, when we're not blaming the US that is...

Note that I mentioned there are some intelligent, well educated Americans. Pity you're in the minority. We could start the T&P educational foundation to lend a hand if you wish.

Cort Haus. We're waiting for others to confirm or deny the phenomenon of the colonies in the first post.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Before Civ3 was released, I had thought that Colonies were going to bring in a small amount of resources (food, commerce, raw material). Of course, this ins't the case.

And since the resources they do bring in (specials) are so important in context of the game, I always build cities on them for the protection.

Colonies- go away! Or come back useful.

Comment

Can you build fortresses on top of colonies? i lent out my game and won't get it back until next week. If so, that could help protect the colonies.

BTW, I changed my mod to have citizens eat 3 food. Thus, colonies are useful because cities die in the desert and tundra without irrigation. Colonies are less hassle & cheaper (1 pop) compared to settler & worker to irrigate city (3 pop), and often i just can't wait for my borders to expand into no-man's land. Colonies also have more staying power as cities founded in deserts and tundra (without irrigation) don't last long enough to absorb them.

For those wondering about how anything can grow in despotism with a 3 food req, i removed the tile cap until i could think of a solution. i figure the rampant corruption was bad enough for despots - plus i cut down on free military.

I did this not so much for colony benefit but for less city diarrhea. Settlement went slower and balanced the flow better, IMHO. I know others were working on similar mods, how did you go about it?
                    Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
                    Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
                    Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
                    Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

I'm an american, and this is the first time I've been called a foreigner. Heh. But I do know some canadians!
                      "For it must be noted, that men must either be caressed or else annihilated; they will revenge themselves for small injuries, but cannot do so for great ones; the injury therefore that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance." - Niccolo Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by Captain
                        Can you build fortresses on top of colonies? i lent out my game and won't get it back until next week. If so, that could help protect the colonies.

short answer. Yes, no problem!!
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva848
                          short answer. yes, no problem!!

thanks
                          Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
                          Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
                          Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
                          Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

Working...
                          X