Lethal Bombardment Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lethal Bombardment Survey

I just want to know, which units you edited to have this ability?

Here is what I did to start off.

Catapult: None
    Cannon: Land Only
    Artillary: Land & Sea
    Radar Artillary: Land & Sea

Frigate: None
    Ironland: Sea Only
    Destroyer: Sea Only
    Battleship: Land & Sea
    AEGIS Crusier: Land & Sea

All Aircraft (Except Helicopter): Land & Sea

Man-O-War: Sea Only
    (Since it's a UU, it should get a little bonus, considering it's other short comings).

I'd like to see what everyone else did.
    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Nothing ever for land. Too imbalancing.

Am considering whether or not for sea. Without AA, too much potential for imbalance. Then, only for air craft.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
      Nothing ever for land. Too imbalancing.

Am considering whether or not for sea. Without AA, too much potential for imbalance. Then, only for air craft.
      I played the last game to the middle of modern age (space win), and it seemed fine for me on Regent.
      I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

This "lethal bombardment" is a blessing for subs
        Now I can make a sub a "bombard-only" unit, with 0 in attack and 8/10 in bombard, so it can work as expected, and I can put its HP very low to reflect its vulnerability

No more of the "Galley sink my sub" stuff
        Science without conscience is the doom of the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka le Vil
          Now I can make a sub a "bombard-only" unit, with 0 in attack and 8/10 in bombard, so it can work as expected, and I can put its HP very low to reflect its vulnerability

sounds like a decent modification.

but i have a question. whenever i fire an artillery, it almost always takes away 2 hit points, but it's bombard is what, 12? what does that 12 signify in the equation? is it possible to take away 4 hit points? could a unit die in one firing?
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I'm guessing that the bombard power works along the same lines as regular attack power, except that if a unit "loses" a bombard attack it doesn't lose HP. So if your artillery attacks a unit with defense of 6 (ex. fortified musketman--4 defense + 50% fortify), the odds would be 2/3 to do do damage and 1/3 that the muskets would be safe, and against defense 24 it would be just the opposite, 1/3 chance to do damage. I think each point of ROF is just a separate attack attempt, similar to the way that standard attacks keep going hitpoint after hitpoint.

Not sure how bombarding a unit in a city and destroying buildings/killing citizens works.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka le Vil

but then surely subs could bombard land improvements/units if you give them the bombard ability?!?!

that wouldn't be particularly realistic?!

Comment

Not if you use "sea units only" option. I think it would be a good idea with that sub bombarding thing, but does that take away the cool torpedo animation? And forgive me for a stupid question, but is 8 or 10 the bombard range? Or is it firepower/rate of fire? Which bombard range do you have anyway?

Comment

but i have a question. whenever i fire an artillery, it almost always takes away 2 hit points, but it's bombard is what, 12? what does that 12 signify in the equation? is it possible to take away 4 hit points? could a unit die in one firing?
                  The bombard power is just like the attack power, it give you the chances you have to hurt any unit.
                  The rate of fire, on the other hand, show how much damage you can do when you actually hit the ennemy.

but then surely subs could bombard land improvements/units if you give them the bombard ability?!?!

that wouldn't be particularly realistic?!
                  Huu...
                  Gasp... I must admit that I was so carried away by the idea that I completely forgot that...
                  I hope there is a way to switch to "sea only" bombing, like suggested Flanker... Or else it's all f*cked up for me...

And forgive me for a stupid question, but is 8 or 10 the bombard range? Or is it firepower/rate of fire? Which bombard range do you have anyway?
                  It's the attack value. For a sub, I consider that 1 tile is the appropriate bombard range. The ROF should be quite high, as it's the only weapon of the sub (this I will decide when I'll have tinkered with all the units' HP and A/D ratings).

Comment

there is no "sea only" option! Only options to add lethal bombardment against sea/land units.

So they'll still be able to bomb improvements, etc.

Comment

there is no "sea only" option! Only options to add lethal bombardment against sea/land units.
                      Oh, so that means you could still hit cities? That´s too bad... Guess that good sub-idea won´t work out in that case. I haven´t have time to test this new lethal bombardment option so I didn´t know...

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX

I previously asked a similar question and was told that the number of HP potentially removed by removed is related to the rate of fire. My testing of that suggests it to be correct.
                        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Re: Lethal Bombardment Survey

Originally posted by Thrawn05
                          I just want to know, which units you edited to have this ability?
                          Good thread, even though I don't usually mod myself.

I'm not sure I agree with lethal land bombardment at least in regards to infantry units. It is generally impossible to destroy an infantry unit's combat cohesion with bombard alone. Historically, bombard can only soften the target. Even with smart bombs, it generally takes ground troops to finish off a target.

I do like the submarine bombard, though.

Comment

I'm not sure I agree with lethal land bombardment at least in regards to infantry units. It is generally impossible to destroy an infantry unit's combat cohesion with bombard alone. Historically, bombard can only soften the target.
                            That's roughly true, but only if you limit the "bombard" to common units. Don't limit your imagination while using the editor !
                            Unit that are able to use the lethal land ability could be a Dragon (air unit, very able to utterly destroy any unit), or an Archmage (big fireball someone, or perhaps a Dead Spirits invocation) if you mod a fantasy game.
                            For a sci-fi game, I can imagine an biological artillery, able kill all life in a terrain tile in some shots, or a tactical anti-matter missile, killing units but without pollution, or a unit of computer warfare, sending hacking algorythms that are able to destroy modern mechwarrior by jamming their systems.
                            For an historical game, you could imagine special operation units, whose bombard symbolise sabotage/assassination/disinformation.

Let's speak creativity

Comment

Boy, where to start, so much genius to unleash...

Catapult: None
                              Cannon: Land Only
                              Remove it. Cannons really didn't have a general ability to destroy enemy formations, though grapeshot was a real bitc%.

Artillary: Land & Sea
                              Radar Artillary: Land & Sea
                              A little iffy on artillery - but okay.

Frigate: None
                              Ironland: Sea Only
                              Remove.

Destroyer: Sea Only
                              Battleship: Land & Sea
                              AEGIS Crusier: Land & Sea
                              Remove land from Aegis cruiser. It's not that type of ship.

All Aircraft (Except Helicopter): Land & Sea
                              Prop fighters shouldn't get it. I assume all torpedo and dive bombers exist under the bombers heading - they can destroy both.

Man-O-War: Sea Only
                              Remove.

Oh, so that means you could still hit cities? That´s too bad... Guess that good sub-idea won´t work out in that case. I haven´t have time to test this new lethal bombardment option so I didn´t know...
                              Well, you could leave it in under the guise of the SLCM capability...

What the system REALLY needs is three values - vs. air, vs. land, vs. sea.

Venger

Comment

Working...
                              X