Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100% unhappiness in certain cities...bug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100% unhappiness in certain cities...bug?

I'm about 1800 in a Emperor/Large World game with about 50 cities. The problem is that 2 of my cities have 100% unhappiness no matter what I do. They inevitibly starve down to pop 1.

So I thought I would abandon the cities by building workers. No problem, the cities disbanded.... BUT, the 100% unhappiness problem just switched to my next nearest city in both cases! They both starved down to pop 1 after that too.

I reloaded my game to have these "unhappiness cities" back because I don't know what to do with them. If I found a new city somewhere with a settler, there's no problem; it acts normal. These were two cities that I took from an opponent.

Any ideas? I looked through as many posts as I could to see if this had been reported but couldn't find anything. Search won't let me use 'bug' as a search term, so sorry if this has already been discussed. Any info from people experiencing similar problems would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Apolex

Re: 100% unhappiness in certain cities...bug?

Originally posted by Apolex
    ... These were two cities that I took from an opponent. ...
    Probably victims of AI Draft and Pop-rush. Click (or is it right click) on the citizens to see where their unhappiness is coming from.
    Fitz. (n.) Old English
    1. Child born out of wedlock.
    2. Bastard.

Comment

Re: Re: 100% unhappiness in certain cities...bug?

Originally posted by Fitz

Probably victims of AI Draft and Pop-rush. Click (or is it right click) on the citizens to see where their unhappiness is coming from.
      Thanks Fitz, that's a good idea, makes sense I will check that out. But why would my next nearest cities get screwed too after disbanding the bad cities?

ps: using 1.17f

Thanks
      -Apolex

Comment

Re: Re: Re: 100% unhappiness in certain cities...bug?

But why would my next nearest cities get screwed too after disbanding the bad cities?

Exactly because of that. Inherited unhappiness is a feature of 1.17 - closes a loophole, or at least tries to.
        "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. After reading your replies I did a search on inherited unhappiness and found lots of info.

Comment

Can you sell them? The AI sometimes offers high prices for worthless cities.

Comment

Not anymore they don't. That went away with the first patch. Now it can be hard to give away cities. People were selling cities to the AI with intent of recapturing them with culture and then vicitmizing another civ with the same plot.

The inherited unhappiness was alos created to stop an exploit. People were creating cities just to pop rush units and then, to avoid the accumulated unhappiness, they would abandon the city with a pop rushed settler and plop a new city down right where the old unhappy one was.

Unfortunatly we now also inherit unhappiness from the AI's rushing which is what he was experiencing.

Comment

Did you know that if you double click on an unhappy citizen in the city view he'll tell you what is making him unhappy?
                signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Since that AI is pop-rushing units, maybe make peace and attack another neighbor. The first AI is going to have to deal with the unhappiness and lower population, so they'll be vulnerable to a later attack!

Comment

No problem, the cities disbanded.... BUT, the 100% unhappiness problem just switched to my next nearest city in both cases!
                    That's how it is supposed to work, even when creting a settler, he will remember the unhappiness the moment you build a city with it.
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Re: Re: Re: 100% unhappiness in certain cities...bug?

Thanks Fitz, that's a good idea, makes sense I will check that out. But why would my next nearest cities get screwed too after disbanding the bad cities?

Thanks
                      -Apolex
                      If you create a Settler in a city that is unhappy, that "discontent" will follow the Settler into the new city it creates. A game design!

PS Damn, I guess I should have finished reading the thread before repeating what was already mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                      X