Massive Barbarian Uprising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive Barbarian Uprising

I just encoutered the closest thing civ 3 has to a random encouter. I'm cruising along as the persians and on the powergraph i'm the strongest since i was lucky enough to get a city with 2 wheat and one cattle churning out settlers and a freaking vast swath of mostly tundra, hills, and mountains to colonize by myself.

Around 630 B.C. and i have 13 citys mostly at size 2 or 3. Suddenly my military advisor pops up and says there's been a massive barbarian uprising around Gula( i'm playing as the persians.) I had one immortal two tiles away from the barbarian camp which previously had one warrior defending it. Now it has one warrior and 20 horsemen. Also 3 more barbarian camps spawned(actually i know 2 spawned since my immortals had cleared a camp near there not and the area had been clear 4 turns ago.) Each of the camps releases 20 horsemen. I have 12 immortals to fight 60 horsemen over my entire civ. I'm thankful barbarian units dissapear after they pillage a city...
    When the stars threw down their spears,
    and water'd heaven with their tears,
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Thats really annoying when they pop up next to an undefended city and take all of your money...grr...

Comment

Ah yes...a word to the wise, when you discover a barbarian village, DESTROY it. If you let it sit there for a certain length of time (I'm not sure what the timeframe actually is), a barbarain uprising will occur. If you continue to ignore and not destroy the village(s), the next "uprising" will be far, far worse....believe me, been there, done that.

Comment

Civ2 was like that too though, I once had an uprising comprising of 300 fanatics. I couldn't finish the game because of "Too many units" errors.
        Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
        Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

If barbarians are so annoying to you (and they are) just turn them off totally in Editor - make Basic and Advanced Barbarian units "none". End of problem.

Comment

Well, when you first start the game, just choose the barbarian threat confinded to huts (the lowest setting). This too will aleviate you having to play with a barbarian threat (and you don't have to use the editor)

Comment

You could always give the city to another civ, so that the barbs empty the other civ´s treasury instead.

Comment

Dont turn them off, they're a good source of early money. Scout them out and destroy them as they pop up. I actually miss them once my civ has become coherent (and there are no more spots for them to appear).
                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane
                  You could always give the city to another civ, so that the barbs empty the other civ´s treasury instead.
                  I like that idea Sometimes, you can get caught out , even with scouting for them.
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay37
                    Thats really annoying when they pop up next to an undefended city and take all of your money...grr...
                    Isn't it ALWAYS next to an undefended city?!

Spec.
                    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I've noticed the same trend that there never seems to be just one uprising. One game popped up 4 stacks of barbarians. Based on their distances from their villages, it looked like they all spawned within a turn of each other. Being the nice guy that I am, I lead 3 of the stacks right into the Indians. The 4th stack slaughtered my garrison and promptly took 500+ of my 700ish gold. I dont mind losing some gold but this really needs to be fixed. I would think that gold lost should be based on the population of the sacked town compared to the entire civ population. It makes no sense to me that a town that is only 3 turns old can lose almost the entire civs treasury. i say towns <1 get destroyed after the first barbarian. Also more realistic since I doubt barbarians simply disappeared after sacking one town. This way the hordes could be shrank from 20+ to a dozen or so.

Comment

Working...
                      X