The Greatest Great Wonder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Greatest Great Wonder?

Ok guys and gals....What is your favorite GW and why?

ancient times:Great library(see below)

medieval times:Leonardo's workshop(the extra money it saves can sometimes be a gamemaker)

Industrial age:Theory of evolution(did someone say...FREE TECHS)?

Modern age:Cure for Cancer(a happy Civilization is a productive one)

My favorite is the Great Library....it lets me keep pace in the tech race early on whilst I build my mighty force of little Spocklings to go do my bidding.
    "And that, my friends, sucks goat ass." ---Venger---

Ancient -- Great Library, for as often as it happens (almost never). With tech whoring, it isn't too important. If I can beg, borrow, extort or steal Horseback Riding, Iron, Ceremonial Burial and Literature, that suits me fine until I can buy the whole shooting match once I see the civs have gone Middle Age. They feel sorry for you being so backward, (though culturally and militarily, you are the man) that you can buy every tech at once for a song.

Middle -- Sistine, hands down.

Industrial -- Hoover.

Modern -- UN.

Comment

My fave is the Hoover dam...nothing like lots of extra production...

Comment

Ancient - Oracle
        Medieval - Sun Tzu Art of War
        Industrial - Darwin's Voyage
        Modern - UN

Comment

There was a poll on this not too long ago

I think the overall vote went to the Sistine Chapel.

For money-saving wonders, I personally like Adam Smith's over Leonardo's. It's nice to build both, but Smith's can mean over a hundred extra gold per turn (assuming you build lots of banks and marketplaces), while people typically only take advantage of their Leonardo advantage at most three times per game. Then again, most people underestimate the importance of banks and markets, so for them Leo's is probably the better bet. Their loss, I'd say.
          -CC

Comment

I would say Leonardo´s isn´t at all that important as it was in Civ II. In Civ III I usually don´t upgrade very many of my units, as I find it more cost-effective to disband the old ones and build new modern units. And when I disband the old units in my not so productive cities and let the new units be built in high productive cities, it is really a good equalizer.
            Otherwise, my favorite wonders are of course Sistine and Hoover Dam, the latter is usually pretty easy to build since the AI usually go for the other branch in the tech tree. I also like the Pyramids, but it is almost impossible to build both that and the Great Library in the same game.
            By the way - Cure for Cancer? Naah, don´t think so...

Comment

I almost never build ancient wonders. If I do, it's the Pyramids or the Colossus, with Pyramids as favorite. The Great Library is crap, because when I finally built it, I am usually so close to Education, that I have practically no benefit but culture from it. The research line goes so quick in 1.17f. I never waste a leader on it. Often I prebuild the Great Library, and switch then to Sun Tsu's or the Sistine.

In the Medieval age it's the Sistine Chapel, hands down. It's also my overall favorite.

In the Industrial my favorite is the Hoover Dam. It's also a close 2nd overall.

In the modern age I have no favorite wonders. I may build the UN but with no use, because I usually switch the diplomatic victory off. I may build the Manhattan Project but with no use, because I never use nukes first and have yet to see the AI to nuke first. The other wonders come too late, because I either launched the spaceship, or am busy to crush the rest of the gang and need no wonder anymore.

Comment

my picks:

ancient: pyramids, free granery and never expires
                medieval: sistine, can't beat the happy faces, and again.. never expires
                industrial: hoover, quick and easy way to add more production, and never expires
                modern: not much to say here, if I can't build all the wonders in the modern age before the AI, then I'm probably not in a position to win the game..

my all time favorite I have to say is the hoover, followed by sistine..

Comment

1. Hoover Dam-late game Production
                  2. Sistine Chapel-Keep the masses happy
                  3. Colossus-Money, lots of money

If I get them great. If I dont, its a little tougher to win.
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

i'm a big fan of the colossus in the ancient era, and the pyramids (though i never seem to get them).

middle ages? sun tzu's hands down.

ind. hoover

modern: umm....
                    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Ancient - Great Lighthouse if I am on an island otherwise nothing. On lower diffuculty levels like Regent I will go for the pyramids and anything else I can get.

Medieval - Sistine Chapel which I now consider a must have. Bachs if I can get it. Again on Regent or lower its a lot easier to get most of the wonders so I don't worry about which.

Industrial - Hoover and Theory of Evolution which is what gives me the tech for Hoover. Lots of nice Wonders there for larger maps but since I play on standard maps I don't need them much. Smiths just doesn't mean as much when you have 16 cities.

Modern - Seti and thats the only Wonder in the age anyway so why ask. Appolo is for no discerable reason a small wonder and then I win by Space Race in 12 to 16 turns.

I have heard rumors that there might be a couple of other Great Wonders in the Modern Age but I am on my way to Alpha Centauri by then and the news about them from the losers never gets to me.

The Modern Age needs an overhaul. A few more techs would be nice but just rearanging the ones that are there would be a major improvement and then the rumored Wonders might become real Wonders. Athough why anyone would try to get their cities grow by two population when the population is pegged is a Wonder to me.

Comment

Ancient - Colossus, very nice bonus and inexpensive, also you can ALWAYS beat the AI to it
                        Middle Ages - Definately Sun Tzu's, I even accumulate shields for it ahead of time to make sure i get it
                        Industrial - Hoover Dam, because of all that production
                        Modern - SETI, because there arent a whole lot of modern wonders like ethelred said
                        The Civ3 world is one where stealth bombers are unable to sink galleons, Man-O-Wars are a powerful counter to battleships, and knights always come equipped with the AT-S2 Anti-Tank Sword.

The Simwiz2 Combat Mod Version 2.0 is available for download! See the changes here. You can download it from the CivFanatics Thread or the Apolyton Thread.

Comment

All of them or None of them

Great Wonders don't seem all that great to me anymore. It used to be a race to get the certain special ones in Civ2.........but since Civ3 is a new game all unto itself, there are certain ones I try to build if not all of them just for the satisfaction of depriving the AI from having them.

Ancient - Colossus and Great Lighthouse - Money and naval movement. (I keep forgetting to mod the naval units to move faster and I still want to be faster than the AI)

Middle Ages - Sun Tzu and Magellan - Free Barracks and More naval movement.

Industrial Age - Hoover Dam - More production is good...

Modern - The game has a modern age??????
                          "Our lives are frittered away by detail....simplify, simplify."

Comment

My favorites by age:

Ancient: Great Library - once I get it, I put science spending at zero, make hoards of money and let the AI do my research.

Sun Tzu's Art of War - I am instantly building veteran knights in all my cities, and just in time for a good war!

Hoover Dam - An instant production boost that puts me way out in front.

UN - duh!

Comment

Ancient: Great Library, for Civ2 thru Civ3 1.16, with 1.17 now probably Pyramids. ((Except in 1.0 the best was the GreatLighthouse - for allowing you to sail oceans))

Middle: Sistine Chapel by far & usually best wonder in the game.

Industrial: Hoover by far.

Modern: UN, but it usually doesn't matter... the game is soon over or is already over.

Comment

Working...
                              X