Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What random events would you have included?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adm.Naismith
    can give you a free tech advance
    It could be a good random event; for example rubber was discovered by chance, like radioactivity.
    Nym
    "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

Originally posted by Austin
      I think one random event that would be interesting would be a chance that outling cities will revolt and form a new civ.

The chances are increased with distance. They are drastically increased if the city is not physically connected with the rest of the empire. They increase if the city is in disorder or otherwise unhappy, and if a city bordering a city revolts, that city should recieve an extra check.

Historical basis: United States of America. You have a bunch of colonies on a far off shore on a different continent. Something happens to make them unhappy (please, I don't want this to become a debate on the causes of the American Revolution). The cities revolt and form a new civ (America).

Ways to prevent this would be to keep the outlying colonies happy.

Austin
      Interesting idea too !
      Nym
      "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

I do like the civil war, colonies becoming a new civ, based on your current techs. I also like the bumper crop idea. Most of the ideas offered so far are doable, and if kept to a reasonable level, would ad to the "Oh ****!" richness of CIV III instead of becoming "@%$#*&!" .
        Lude Fortier, Lude Juste, Nemini Damnum!

Comment

Originally posted by Austin
          I think one random event that would be interesting would be a chance that outling cities will revolt and form a new civ.

The chances are increased with distance. They are drastically increased if the city is not physically connected with the rest of the empire. They increase if the city is in disorder or otherwise unhappy, and if a city bordering a city revolts, that city should recieve an extra check.
          Austin
          Something like this might be a more reasonable way to handle large empires than the current corruption fiasco.
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

The random events in the original Civ game were kind of lame, from what I remember. There were just pop-up messages without any graphics.

If random events were added into the game, they'd have to be optional for gameplay. I can see how annoying they would get, judging by how the developers have made riots, pollution, and culture-flipping so.
            "I've spent more time posting than playing."

Comment

Originally posted by siredgar
              The random events in the original Civ game were kind of lame, from what I remember. There were just pop-up messages without any graphics.

If random events were added into the game, they'd have to be optional for gameplay. I can see how annoying they would get, judging by how the developers have made riots, pollution, and culture-flipping so.

Civ I was not known for it's graphics. The random events did have a real effect and you did what you could to avoid them.

Real life if full of random events. Terrorist attacks, assassinations, earthquakes, volcanoes, droughts, hurricanes, etc.

I think it would a lot to the simulation of real life aspect of the game.
              Sorry....nothing to say!

Comment

They were just pop-ups, but we would have animations. Imagine a volcano blowing up beside your favorite city with lava pouring down out of it.
                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Random Event

More realistic diseases are needed...if you don't build police or courthouses...the hookers take over and people die of exotic STDs.

Or chunks of space debris hit the planet destroying cities at random..unless you can build a spaceship and a team to knock the debris off course.

Space aliens invade the planet and must be stopped.

Land bridges appear due to volcanic activity and isolated areas on the map become accesible.

Comment

You guys are gluttons for punishment...

Here are some random events that would be neat, in no particular order:

- Stock market boom: adds +2 commerce per square for 20 turns. Requires Stock Market (or was it Stock Exchange?) small wonder. Only available to Commerical civs.

- Technological boom: +200% research in civ for 20 turns. Requires library and university be built in all cities. +50% chance if research lab is built in all cities. Only available to Scientific civs.

- Bloodlust: Occurs if your civ is extremely successful in combat against another civ. Three extra happy citizens per city & reduces war weariness by 75% for duration of war, regardless of government. Only available to Militaristic civs.

- Industrial revolution: 200% to total production output for entire civ for 20 turns. Requires factories & power plants in each city. Only available to Industrious civs.

- Urban sprawl: +1 citizen during city growth (similar to Cure for Cancer or Longevity, can't remember which) for 20 turns. No direct requirement, just happens at random. Only available to Expansionist civs.

I can't think of something for Religious (maybe additional happiness or something). I think you get the point, though -- random events based on your civ type. It would give some crappy civs (especially America) some appeal that the otherwise not have, and might even be the deciding factor in choosing a civ.

-- twistedx

Comment

I'm in favor of natural disasters that can be minimized by specific improvements.

Civ3 already has the excellent nuke ground shaking that could be applied to an earthquake. When a map is generated, an underlaying plate map could determine where future quakes would happen. Damage can be minimized by building codes.

Volcanoes would make a good and somewhat predictable disaster. Would the AI be smart enough to avoid building under them? No defense against them, except warnings so population could be evacuated (build lots of refugees/workers).

Tornadoes/hurricanes should be confined to specific routes (again, predetermined at map generation time). Building codes can minimize damage.

Droughts and bumper crops to affect food production. Weather can also trigger floods. I think that being able to claim coastal tiles as is a good ideal, and floods could flood these tiles.

Stock market crashes and rises based on some specific economic conditions. Requires wall street small wonder.

Instead of population causing pollution, i'd rather see pandemics. One civ can infect another via trade or war.

Civil war/revolution are sadly missing. Base it on happiness of the civ in general, specifically on movement distance from the palace and FP.

How about a happiness benefit for winning a world war? Think of the baby boom after WW2, and even the roaring 20s. Altho this would require a fix to the frequency that AIs switch sides during a war, and how exactly to define a world war, specifically how is victory defined.

I know most of these are negative, but IMHO most goods things have already been accounted for. Goody huts give free techs. Resources already come and go, and you dont even have to discover the gold, it apparently just lays on the ground waiting to be picked up. i would avoid disasters or benefits that are human created such as fires, or industrial booms. Also avoid any extraterrestrial events since the game really doesnt process past current technology. Based on the game, we should already be building spaceships.

Comment

Re: Random Event

Originally posted by danimal
                        More realistic diseases are needed...if you don't build police or courthouses...the hookers take over and people die of exotic STDs.
                        LOL.

I guess it's not too far off from reality.
                        "I've spent more time posting than playing."

Comment

Creation of a new civ.

Comment

Smurfs

I would like to see the inclusion of a Smurf Civilization. Obviously, Papa Smurf would be the leader and all the weapons would be non-lethal and just smurfy.

Comment

how about the responsible government random event? the gov decides it has too much money and declares a no tax year

A guy can dream. stupid irs

Comment

well, these all sound like great ideas, but all of these disasters couldnt be too frequent. i think that there should be great events, and small events. how often do large revolutions, creation of smurf civs, devestating volcanoes and tidal waves happen? not that often. however, things like bumper crops, droughts, stock crashes and rises and forest fires happen often to countries. there might not even be a pop up for these small events. the great events, however should be GREAT. happening 0, 1 or 2 times in a whole game.

Comment

Working...
                                X