Now I'm Just Mad! '1.17 Wound'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now I'm Just Mad! '1.17 Wound'

I finally figure out why I'm doing so miserable, too many Civs in my game.. So I reduce it, down to the normal 8 civs including me. Made the game about ten times more fun because I actually have a significant chance now, even though the computer is still pulling it's annoying ICS tricks which I refuse to do as well. Any case, I get monotheism after a few others, but decide to go ahead with the ole' Sistine Chapel. Someone else get's it before me, no big deal, I switch to JS Bach's. Twelve turns to go on JS's and someone get it's. I quickly barter to get economics from a civ who *just* got it. I switch to Adam Smith's... Two turns later three civ's starting building it, and two turns after that Germany finishes it. I *know* they did not switch from JS's to Adam's... unless they were legitimately making 200 shields a turn I'm very mad. This has ruined my game for me and upset me beyond all belief. It's just annoying, obnoxious, and another one of those things in Civ3 that piss me off! Is there anything I can do to even build a damned wonder in this game?

For now, I'm uninstalling the 1.17 wound, loading up from five turns ago on my autosave and installing 1.16 so maybe they won't trade economics with each other in a matter of ten seconds when I have to give away the farm for it.

It's possible they had a great leader. Those guys come in handy when trying to quickly build wonders.

Comment

It's possible they had a great leader. Those guys come in handy when trying to quickly build wonders.
      Has anyone ever actually seen the AI get a Great Leader?

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralTacticus

I've never seen an AI army, so i would assume they use the GLs for building things.
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I've definitely seen AI armies ... and I think I have seen a leader too, though I'm not certain about that one.
          Good = Love, Love = Good
          Evil = Hate, Hate = Evil

Comment

I've killed a few AI Great Leaders.

Comment

i've seen gls, killed them in cities, in the field etc. they especially tend to pop up when you are throwing tanks against mech infantry, lose a few, the become elite, get the gls etc.
              i have also seen numerous ai armies in the field. I would think that they would use them for wonders too, though i don't know how this could ever be tested without a cheat ability.

Comment

Originally posted by nato
                I've definitely seen AI armies ... and I think I have seen a leader too, though I'm not certain about that one.
                I saw AI armies too (about twice), but no GL alone and I did not notice AI using GL for rushing wonder.
                Nym
                "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

I often see AI armies and sometimes even saw them get a leader when they won a battle against me. After this, the leader is of course a primary target for me and I do all to hunt him down and kill him. That's usually hard, because these guys are fast.

But I never had an evidence, that the AI uses a GL for wonder completion, at the countrary, using the spy view I could see so far, that all of their leaders are converted into armies.

Comment

Re: Now I'm Just Mad! '1.17 Wound'

Originally posted by whistlernj

Any case, I get monotheism after a few others, but decide to go ahead with the ole' Sistine Chapel. Someone else get's it before me, no big deal, I switch to JS Bach's. Twelve turns to go on JS's and someone get it's. I quickly barter to get economics from a civ who *just* got it. I switch to Adam Smith's... Two turns later three civ's starting building it, and two turns after that Germany finishes it. I *know* they did not switch from JS's to Adam's... unless they were legitimately making 200 shields a turn I'm very mad. This has ruined my game for me and upset me beyond all belief. It's just annoying, obnoxious, and another one of those things in Civ3 that piss me off! Is there anything I can do to even build a damned wonder in this game?

For now, I'm uninstalling the 1.17 wound, loading up from five turns ago on my autosave and installing 1.16 so maybe they won't trade economics with each other in a matter of ten seconds when I have to give away the farm for it.

I never tried going back to 1.16, (I dont think it will work with a saved game) but after I experienced similar miraculous AI wonder builiding I did try going back 20 turns and maximizing production in the city building the wonder. I was able to increase my speed by 3 or 4 turns which should have put me ahead of the AI build time. But it didnt! The AI still beat me to the wonder by 2 turns. Its build time was changed to beat me no matter what .

It might be that the AI has great leaders (it certainly does get them). But then why does it consistently use them to build a wonder one two turns before I finish it?

The only way to combat this AI cheat (and not lose all the shield production) is to do as whistlernj did and switch wonders then trade to the AI for a tech with a wonder (if you run out). I try to keep a small wonder "in my pocket" just in case.

At monarch and above I usually get one or two early wonders, maybe one middle age wonder and usually the hoover dam (then I win).
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Enemy army!

Comment

So if the AI is getting Great Leaders more often than the human player that means the AI has an unfair advantage. Even if the human choses a militaristic civ it's still rather hard to get a great leader.

So this means that Civ3 is more warlike than was originally promised us by Sid himself last year when he was interviewed by PC Gamer et. al.

I've said it before and I'll say it again (upon seemingly deaf ears I suspect): Civ3 rewards those (esp. the AI) who wage war continuously. There is no room for a peaceful builder in Civ3.
                        signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

You know, the AI can gt leaders to...Maybe he hurried the GW...or is it easier to say it cheats....
                          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Yup. Dozens. Both aquired in wars between me and the AI, as well as in wars between one AI civ and another.

I believe they use them to rush things as well, though not frequently. I've seen an AI GL disappear in a city, without an army being created, so it's either disbanded or used to rush. I wasn't able to check what or if something was rushed, since I had a war and couldn't spy on the city.
                            Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

I have seen the AI use great leaders in armies against me twice. The one that comes to mind is my most recent game -- they had an army with spearmen attacking my mech inf. Sort of fun watching my one mech inf decimate their "Great Leader"

On a side note, I have received a great leader every time I took down an AI great leader, even if it's a knock-down-drag-out like spearmen vs mech inf. Like I said, only seen them twice, but it's a nice bonus if it always happens.

-- twistedx

Comment

Working...
                              X