Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No multiplayer support in Civ III. Do you really care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No multiplayer support in Civ III. Do you really care?

For some posters, the fact that there is no multiplayer support in Civ III is a major issue. But it could be the opinion of a vocal minority. Maybe most civers don't care. What do you thing?
    No
    50.57%
    Yes, but it's a minor issue
    19.54%
    Yes, it's a major issue
    29.89%
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

No it doesn't matter to me. Either the games would last too long, or it would come down to who could build the biggest warrior army. With the games already taking as long as they are, I would not play online multiplayer. Play by email, however might be ok, that would be easier to put in than a full online game.

Comment

I'm not big on multiplayer games. When civ3 multi does come out, I might play it once or twice, but will probably go back to single player. Hopefully, though, Firaxis will do a good enough job to convince me to play more multiplayer.

Comment

what's civ3?

oh, that boring game that i spent $60 on that i don't bother to play anymore because it doesn't have scenarios or MP
        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

dp... my bad.
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

if you count scenario makers, multiplayers, etc, it's a vocal majority.

or a vocal whole-damn-forum.
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

If MP ever comes out and has a PBEM feature, I might play it. But probably not online MP. Hence, minor issue for me.

Comment

I remember the phrase "Fully integrated multiplayer system" being a major bullet in initial ads for the game. Then the phrase disappeared. I want what was promised, until I get it Infogrammes and Firaxis are nothing but a bunch of hucksters making a buck on the Civ name.
                "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

Do I care?

Not anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdWizard
                    what's civ3?

oh, that boring game that i spent $60 on that i don't bother to play anymore because it doesn't have scenarios or MP
                    Yea, THAT one.

I would not have bought Civ III if I knew it had no scenario-building or Cheat Mode. But just wait, they will soon try to stick it to us with some lame-ass Scenario disk for $29.95.

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle
                      building or Cheat Mode. But just wait, they will soon try to stick it to us with some lame-ass Scenario disk for $29.95.
                      $49.95 once it comes out. $29.95 only after it's been out for 6-9 months. Then after another 6-9 months you can get the "MP Gold Edition" for $49.95. Then after another 6-9months you can get the MP + Scenario version for $49.95. Then 1-2years later you can get any version for $5 in the bargin bin.

Comment

I don't care about multiplayer. I can just imagine hoe long a game would take with all human players. Besides that, as I read these forums, I get the feeling my laid-back style wouldn't be able to compete with some of the hardcore players here.

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                          if you count scenario makers, multiplayers, etc, it's a vocal majority.

or a vocal whole-damn-forum.
                          A vocal majority? Not sure about that. There are 18768 registered members. About 3% of those members post 99% of the messages found on the Civ 3 forums. Would you agree with my estimate comrade? Even if all of the members who post agreed that the lack of multiplayer is a major issue, I wouldn't call it a "vocal majority". No, the majority is quite silent...
                          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

nothing to add, just wanted to record my "NO" vote. don't care about mp. no time. Too much time spent on school and work and g/f. hmm. whats amusing to me is that at this point, the no's are actually in the lead. what's up with that? i thought that everyone wanted multiplayer. hmmm.

Comment

I love multiplayer games. I just think this one's design does not lend itself to multi, unless you are talking about PBEM or something, which would pretty much take a couple years to play through...

Turn based games are just not well suited to live gaming, unless they are very shallow, the average game is over in a small number of turns, or is very limited in terms of number of players. Civ is just too good a game in all three respects.

Comment

Working...
                              X