Will Civ3 win an educational award?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Civ3 win an educational award?

Anyone remember civ1 winning educational game of the year award?

I personally think they blew it completely.

For all the talk about 'in the real world' this, that, or the other thing... this "GAME" is no longer trying to model the real world.

Perhaps, if they had more time and were allowed to make it a 2 cd game it could have been stupendous!! How many hours of deliberation were spent on what to include and what not to because it had to fit on 1 cd.

But... we are stuck with a game where the programmers are more worried about we, the humans, taking advantage of thier precious 'ai'. I'm certain it will look good on thier resumes when it says "I helped create an unbeatable game engine."

THAT is thier priority. Too bad they didn't TRY to make an educational game of the year.
    YES
    21.43%
    NO
    78.57%
    [c3c] 1.22(f?)
    For better barbarians, add NoAIPatrol=0 to conquests.ini (see this thread )

They could have scrapped the animations and done a perfectly good job with one CD.

Am I the only person who views animated units as a sort of step back from the greatness of Civ 2? In the deuce anybody with Paint or and Notepad could make their own mods. Now you need all this fancy ass software for the graphics. And even then it's unstable. Utterly terrible.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

i can honestly say that civ2's civlopedia helped me out on a few European History homeworks
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

As far as historical issues go, EU2 is much better with all its events and such. Of course, any game using history as a backdrop for an engaging game won't be perfect.

Comment

I think it should get a award in the Marketing Category. Civ3 is a perfect example of the power of brand loyalty and how a company can uses this to generate profits. Note the "Get Civillized Tour" again seeking sales thru brand identification. Some marketing student should disect this and uses it as a semester project, should get him an "A".
          "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

Originally posted by Swissy
            I think it should get a award in the Marketing Category. Civ3 is a perfect example of the power of brand loyalty and how a company can uses this to generate profits. Note the "Get Civillized Tour" again seeking sales thru brand identification. Some marketing student should disect this and uses it as a semester project, should get him an "A".
            Exactly.

How to pay off a discredited Sid for use of his name on a beta product.

How to stick it to the consumer before the Holday buying season.

How to get their flacks in the Gaming world to give Civ III good reviews.

And how to lose all credibility with the PO'd public.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch X
              They could have scrapped the animations and done a perfectly good job with one CD.
              I agree.

Instead of multiplayer or a real editor, we got animated leaders. Yay.

Comment

If I wanted to be educated, I would read a book. ( or show up to my classes) I want a game for enjoyment. nothing more, nothing less, doesn't need to change the world for me.

Comment

Working...
                X