Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the failure of civ III show Brian reynolds is the true genius of civgame design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
    HA! Sid can't even beat the banana option in the poll.
    He would if you held the poll on a Golf Course.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Editing the riot factor isn't cheating. It was built into the game to be changed by the user. Kind of like all the custom options in civ3. However in civ3 they're used to fix the game whereas in civ2 they're there to customize the game.

Comment

Originally posted by EyesOfNight
        Editing the riot factor isn't cheating.
        It is if you don't tell your opponent about it - which you DIDN'T!
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
          HA! Sid can't even beat the banana option in the poll.
          At this point, Brian can't either. Banana is invincible.

Comment

Banana is always invincible.

Brian is Sid's pupil, but he seems to have his own ideas. If those ideas will become the work of a genius we'll only know next year. So far, Brian shown us his talent designing civ games, bringing curious ideas to the genre -- take Colonization, for instance. Rise of Nations will be Brian's most ambitious effort till now, and we'll have to wait and see.
            I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

From today's RoN news item: Proof that Brian Reynolds is the true genius of (civ) game design
              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                From today's RoN news item: Proof that Brian Reynolds is the true genius of (civ) game design
                how is this proof of anything? if you're referring to the scripting language-it was designed and written by Ilya Kreymer. and how can you legitimately cite this as proof that Brian is the civ genius until the game is actually released?

Comment

My 2 cents.

Civ 1 was pretty cool back in the day (when I was like 12).

Civ 2 was fun, scenarios made it better.

SMAC makes them both look like pong. You get tons of different strats to pursue, an engaging story line, a planet that fights back, a myriad of wonderful quotes, leaders with actual personalities, movies that own civ movies, built in multi, and a great built in editor.

Civ 3 then comes and has no movies, no speech, no good editor, and an AI + rules that make you play the same every time to be able to play well. That said it's still a good game.

NOTICE - all civ games are decent but the one that kicks ass is the one that says ALPHA CENTAURI - a Brian Reynolds design.
                  "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Ditto BustaMike.
                    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

BustaMike!
                      signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Ditto Ogie.
                        We're back!
                        http://www.civgaming.net/forums

Comment

Ditto Mark13
                          Science without conscience is the doom of the soul.

Comment

I disagree, I didn't enjoy SMAC.

I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                            X