Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the failure of civ III show Brian reynolds is the true genius of civgame design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the point is still missed about this game.

Civ III was made this way, because of the way people played Civ II for the most part, always talking about them conqueoring the other Civ's.

For the rest of us that played it differently, Civ III is not that much different, but still different enough to be genuine update to a Classic game.

Civ II was still different when it came out, Sid, I am guessing had to teach the computer to make roads and railroads, and other things were added to the game, and a lot of work was done.

I still think Civ III is better out of the box to begin with, and yes one may need a faster computer. But this is nothing new. I verily remember Civ I but still I have that and I think some people are still talking about Civ when it was out in MS-Dos.

Civ III is very different, but then it is different because of the way that people in the Past have played the game.

It is tougher, because of that, and because it seems to involve more animated figures that are needed for todays games.

I think the game is funnier now, although it wants to bite at you.

But as someone said, 'If I wanted an easy game after beating Civ II on Deity, then I play Civ II'.

So, it does not bother me to play on Cheiftain level if needed with Civ III, since with Civ II, I play a long time on Warlord before going up the ladder to different levels.

I still would not play Civ II on Deity, and I probably will not play Civ III on Deity.

I plan the play the game on a level that I enjoy and leave the competiveness to other people.

If multiplayer, who would be the people you would play with?

Ones that traded with you or interacted with you the way you want, or more like the computer plays in Civ III.

If you were winning, would they not try and stop you?

Have a Cigar, you'll go far!
    Shine on you Crazy Diamond!
    (Pink Floyd song)

Comment

i'll never forget one day playing CivII MGE on the zone, i forgot who it was, but they told me "only one can win", and broke an alliance and stormed all my cities in 1 turn.
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Zylka
        I will luv dar civ3 and mistar civ meiers for demands r met:

-Korruption must be included more and more tyo make it liek thine olden days once I heard a story thart all that happened was corruption and thaT was it they corrupted 4 miles back and froth to school in the freezing cold avery day
        LMFAO...You can be rude and coarse but - holy sheep - you are the funniest guy in this forum. ...and thumbs up on the new picture.

Comment

"i'll never forget one day playing CivII MGE on the zone, i forgot who it was, but they told me "only one can win", and broke an alliance and stormed all my cities in 1 turn."

There's a very distinct possibility that that was me.

Comment

lol i believe it was
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Don't feel bad - he cheats like there's no tomorrow - we caught him cold and got an admission on the civ II MP forum.
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Ethelred

Civilization the first IS a classic. Sid did that.
                Actually I think it was that AOE guy who did most of the Civ1 design...

Comment

What exactly did Brian do to ruin the project, other than leave during crunch time?

Comment

Eyes of Night is a well known cheater. Who whines like crazy when called on it...

Comment

left during crunch time.

Battle is about to be joined. MacArthur says *nope, don't think so, I'd rather be a supreme court justice. I think I'll go to law school.*

Nope, Doug has nothing to do with the ensuing result. Not a bit. Nada.

Not that it was his moral responsibility to see it through. No one should be a slave in this day and age. However, his departure can be counted as having an effect on the final civ3 product.

Any other conclusion is absurd.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

However, his departure can be counted as having an effect on the final civ3 product.
                        Sure. But I don't think that BR would have made a better game at all. The genre seems to be exhausted, and you can only go so far. On the other hand, his departure made Firaxis lose a lot of valuable development time, and as a result we don't have wonder movies, for example. I'll never forgive BR for that.
                        I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by The Templar
                          For the record, Gettysburg sucked.
                          Thats your own record of course. I dont think it sucked. I found it to be an enjoyable RTS wargame. There was limited replay value, but I loved whoopin those damn yankees .
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Forgot to mention, Sid is the "genius" here. Its the original work that counts not the follow-ups. We'll measure Brian Reynolds stature when his original game comes out.
                            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

HA! Sid can't even beat the banana option in the poll.
                              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                                HA! Sid can't even beat the banana option in the poll.
                                Its been a looong time since Civ 1.
                                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                                X