No announcement yet.

Game unplayable on reaching the Modern Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried opening the files, however I got an error which typically comes from using an edited BIC file. What mod are you using?!?

FWIW, "slower and slower" sounds like you're just creating bigger and bigger files, that's all. Try a defrag, thay may help things if you are running out of RAM to load the entire game file and are swapping to HDD (aka using virtual memory).

Cheers,
    Shawn
    Waiting for 1.18

Comment

The .bic file I was using wasn't downloaded, it was just built on the basis of 'hmmm, think I'll change this' over time. Actually I lost it recently, and I can't remember all the changes I made, but I made the ones I could remember in a new file. Here it is.
      Attached Files

Comment

Ah, somewhere along the way, I think someone said that the game can be broken by changing that file too much.

But then, if one is changing it while playing the game, it will not work.

One Civ3mod.bic file for the entire game, is what they said.

Otherwise, the game may be corrupted by changing the *.bic file during the playing of the game.

I do not know if you did that or not.

Comment

Unfortunately, I did edit the .bic file during the game. Actually I never heard you shouldn't. I shall remember that. Anyway, though, it seems a very odd way for the game to be corrupted. The problem didn't kick in till the Modern Era, and was specific to it. It didn't tell me the save was corrupted either.

Comment

Well, at least we got to the root of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by reefer addict
              im playing on my wifes piece of sheep comp with 64k. never had a problem loading but the bigger the map, the longer the wait
              What's that? A Commodore 64 running Civ3? Now, those are low system requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by Carver

What's that? A Commodore 64 running Civ3? Now, those are low system requirements.
                Operating System: Microsoft Windows 98 (4.10, Build 1998)
                Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
                Processor: Intel Celeron, MMX, ~400MHz
                Memory: 64MB RAM
                Page File: 52MB used, 1595MB available
                DirectX Version: DirectX 8.0 (4.08.00.0400) ive actually finished mp games of civ2 in a day with this pig if weed wasnt more expensive per ounce than gold i would probally be using some kinda supercomputer but......at least civ3 runs well

Comment

Originally posted by reefer addict

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 98 (4.10, Build 1998)
                  Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
                  Processor: Intel Celeron, MMX, ~400MHz
                  Memory: 64MB RAM
                  Page File: 52MB used, 1595MB available
                  DirectX Version: DirectX 8.0 (4.08.00.0400) ive actually finished mp games of civ2 in a day with this pig if weed wasnt more expensive per ounce than gold i would probally be using some kinda supercomputer but......at least civ3 runs well
                  Was that for my benefit? Apparently, you meant to say 64MB, not 64k. Chow.

Comment

Originally posted by Carver

Was that for my benefit? Apparently, you meant to say 64MB, not 64k. Chow.
                    Chow? Or did you mean Ciao?

Comment

Sorry, I meant that the saved game would be corrupted.

Not the game itself, because the saved game would have been saved with a different *.bic file in use, so when the new *.bic file is used, the main game might not know what to do with it.

So, if the same *.bic file is used, then the game should still play.

Well, that's what they said somewhere here in this maze.

Comment

bitterness

jt: you sure are helpful for being so bitter about this game. You are an interesting participant here. You hate the game, but post nearly every day. You seem to want everyone to follow your lead, but here you are offering TRULY HELPFUL advice. Enigmatic.

Good luck with whatever game it is you play.

No offense intended here, but would you better off lurking around the shelves at your local software dealer encouraging shoppers not to buy Civ3, than trying to convert people away from a game they already have?

I bought Civ3 last week and played one game with a disappointing ending (domination victory) and am in the middle of my second. I really enjoy it, but am admittedly, not a hard-core gamer. I think my favorite thing about it is the resources- that is a great addition.

Thanks to ALL of you who are answering the questions posted here. I am learning by reading.

Comment

Not the game itself, because the saved game would have been saved with a different *.bic file in use, so when the new *.bic file is used, the main game might not know what to do with it.
                          I knew what you meant, I was talking about the save game too. I'm just saying it seems a very strange way for it to be corrupted.

Comment

What happens to me near and about the Modern era is the following, and it is so annoying it may cause be to uninstall the game.

A unit just continues to repeat over and over a command; it doesn't end the command and stop so I can go on to the next unit. It just sort of hangs there as I wait and wait for it to stop and I can move on.

Eventually, after MINUTES, it may stop, or, I ignore it and go to an Advisor or something else. In worst case scenarios I have to Save and reload the game.

All this drags out the tedium of the Modern era far too much.

Comment

Working...
                            X