Next Patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kimmygibler
    Still nothing, man what the hell is going on. I wish they would say something so we know they are alive. What are the plans firaxis?
    I think they keep their plans hidden, so that when they do release a new patch all of the sudden, everybody is happy...until we find out that it caused more problems than it fixed.
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle

The plan is to leave Civ III so effed up, that we the Suckers, will be forced to BUY new versions, and scenario disks, from Firaxis.

Those are the plans.
      I sure hope not.

I dont think it would be very smart for them to do so. Consider the mess with AI tech trading in 1.17. And they already promised lethal bombardment toggleing in the editor in the next patch.

If they had the nerve to charge MORE money for us to beta test their product, I think a lot of people, including me, would just forget about civ3. And then Firaxis would have to forget about ever making alot of money off of future civ games. So it wouldnt really be in their best interest at all.
      The Civ3 world is one where stealth bombers are unable to sink galleons, Man-O-Wars are a powerful counter to battleships, and knights always come equipped with the AT-S2 Anti-Tank Sword.

The Simwiz2 Combat Mod Version 2.0 is available for download! See the changes here. You can download it from the CivFanatics Thread or the Apolyton Thread.

Comment

But those monkeys on C-64s are playing 1.19f and you aren't
        Seemingly Benign
        Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle
          we the Suckers, will be forced to BUY new versions, and scenario disks, from Firaxis.

Those are the plans.
          Forced?! Like a mafia thing, or more like a government tax or something?

Comment

"Firaxis is developing a program to do all of its playtesting for the company. This would save almost a dozen hours of playtesting for the company and revolutionize playtesting everywhere.
            I think the SMAC manual says something about the Firaxis crew playing dozens of games with 0(that is zero) human players just to watch the statistics at the end. So they could fine-balance the different factions.

...So...not so far away from your idea...

Comment

In one of the early chats, Soren said that he would set up several games with multiple AI civs before going home at night, and check the results the next morning (which I'd like to do btw, but is only possible with the development versions).

There were some pretty funny results along the way. One I remember was that the AI thought there was a way to get from the North Pole to the South Pole, so all of their ships ended up hanging around at the top of the screen.

My guess is that Firaxis has been overly dependent on automated playtesting, and that's where a number of the key problems have slipped in (late-game tedium, communist meltdown, tech trading, etc.). It's obviously a great solution, in theory, from a cost and time perspective, but is not quite ready for primetime.

Did anything ever come of the call for patch beta-testers?

R
              "Verily, thou art not paid for thy methods, but for thy results, by which meaneth thou shalt kill thine enemy by any means available before he killeth you." - Richard Marcinko

Comment

They have a set of beta testers (some of whose names are familiar to those in this forum) currently testing v1.19
                Seemingly Benign
                Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

What most of us want NOW, instead of 1.17, is at least the option to use 1.16 WITH stack movement.

Where is it, Firaxis??

Comment

Getting monkeys to beta test v1.19... not easy. The only way they got most of them to do it was by putting the game in a tin box.

Comment

Fix Civ3 please!
                      signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Working...
                      X