No announcement yet.

Everybody boycott Infrogames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I already boycott Infogrames since November, although not for the reasons you have listed. Civ2 was also a buggy game w/o MP when it came out and it went well after fixes and the MGE. Even though it still has flaws. I have no reason to believe that it will be different with Civ3. And as to the AI... well yea, it's still dumb, but compared with the AS (Artifical Stupidity) of Civ2 it's like Einstein. By the way, you seem to be much of a MP fan, so why the heck are you caring so much about the AI?

I'm boycotting Infogreed for the cease and desist order to the German fan translation project last year. Not for the order itself, but for the way it was done. They were told by the fans that the project had started and didn't respond. They ignored the project full four weeks and instead of asking to cease in a friendly way, they sent a lawyer. Infogrames

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker
      Well you did manage to sum up my main problems with the game, almost in order. I have no plans to boycott anyone.

These are all problems I had with Black and White, and I purchased B&W : Creature Island in the hopes that it would address these issues and it did not, and I have no plans to finish creature Isle after getting stuck........

Rik

It's interesting that you mention Black & White. Black & White and Civ III were both highly rated games (>90%) in PCGamer. I am starting to wonder about that magazine. Do they even play test these games before they review them? I think Civ III is a good game, but not Excellent which is how they rated it. I have learned my lesson, don't buy the game until it's in the bargain bin. After a year or so all of the problems should be ironed out and it will only cost $10. If you don't like the game at least you don't feel like you spent a lot of money. Another good aspect of waiting to buy PC games is that your hardware will be more than adequate (I know I have to upgrade every 3 years to keep up). You just have to be patient with PC games apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by simwiz2
        so many other games have MP. However i am willing to wait, provided its a patch and not a $50 mp expansion and then a $50 Decent Editor Gold Edition with scenarios.
        I have a feeling it will be in a $50 MP & Full Editor Gold Edition, but then we will notice something... and Firaxis will say, "Yes, you still cannot place the starting positions of the Civs. Muhahahaha!"

Comment

The only people I'd want to boycott are Electronic Arts.

Dammit they have ruined so many potentially good games.

The Ultima series after VII were ruined by the EA bigwigs. How could Origin have made their masterpieces with the immeasurably ridiculous time-constraints? Especially with Ultima Ascension. Damn, that is the worst case of rushed development in history. Everything from the plot to the gameplay didn't fit in with the first eight games. With the 30-odd years of history to do with the Ultima Series. Everything from Akalabeth (don't laugh. This one was the grandmother of the role-playing genre as we know it) to Ultima VII was great. Why oh why couldn't EA let VIII and IX be great too?

Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun promised to be a HUGE thing. But since Westwood were bought into EA, it was utterly ruined. And then they have the audacity to release Red Alert II using the Tiberian Sun engine as it should've been, and then charge full price.

What I am trying to say here is that the problems that Infogrames let into the box with the game are so, so minor compared to some of the crocks that EA rushed out for Christmas.
          "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
          "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
          "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by LordAzreal
            The only people I'd want to boycott are Electronic Arts.

Dammit they have ruined so many potentially good games.

The Ultima series after VII were ruined by the EA bigwigs. How could Origin have made their masterpieces with the immeasurably ridiculous time-constraints? Especially with Ultima Ascension. Damn, that is the worst case of rushed development in history. Everything from the plot to the gameplay didn't fit in with the first eight games. With the 30-odd years of history to do with the Ultima Series. Everything from Akalabeth (don't laugh. This one was the grandmother of the role-playing genre as we know it) to Ultima VII was great. Why oh why couldn't EA let VIII and IX be great too?

Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun promised to be a HUGE thing. But since Westwood were bought into EA, it was utterly ruined. And then they have the audacity to release Red Alert II using the Tiberian Sun engine as it should've been, and then charge full price.

What I am trying to say here is that the problems that Infogrames let into the box with the game are so, so minor compared to some of the crocks that EA rushed out for Christmas.
            Didn't EA make American McGee's Alice? That game was pretty good (I don't care for 3rd person games, but it was better then most).
            I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

I haven't logged on in a few months and I see that nothing has changed-- first topic I see is just as angry and bitter as ever. Lol!

Anyhow, I don't know if I'd boycott Infogrames, but I know I dumped their stock a couple of months ago after it pretty much went nowhere for an entire year. I still made 25%, but I was expecting more. As for Neverwinter Nights, I'm looking forward to playing it. But as a previous poster said, it's probably advisable to look at the discussion forums before buying. I imagine it will have plenty of bugs at release, so I don't think I'll buy it until it is sufficiently patched.

By the way, I have not downloaded v1.17f yet because I heard there were some bugs and it changes things that I read were good for some aspects of gameplay. What's the verdict on this patch? Should I download or not? I haven't played the game in a few months, but it seems v1.16f made the game playable even though I still don't see any decent bombardment, stackable movement, and of course, my favorite, SPECIFY PLAYER STARTING LOCATION. Also, does v1.17f "fix" nuclear warfare? I mean why can I target an ICBM anywhere on the globe, but not a tactical nuke? That doesn't make any sense.
              "I've spent more time posting than playing."

Comment

Originally posted by siredgar
                By the way, I have not downloaded v1.17f yet because I heard there were some bugs and it changes things that I read were good for some aspects of gameplay. What's the verdict on this patch? Should I download or not? I haven't played the game in a few months, but it seems v1.16f made the game playable even though I still don't see any decent bombardment, stackable movement, and of course, my favorite, SPECIFY PLAYER STARTING LOCATION. Also, does v1.17f "fix" nuclear warfare? I mean why can I target an ICBM anywhere on the globe, but not a tactical nuke? That doesn't make any sense.
                I don't know about changing any problems with ICBMs (that's a new one on me). But 1.17f did add stack movement to game, and a more evil AI tech tradeing. It also made it more possible to prevent culture flipping with enough troops.

I say download it and see if it floats your boat.
                I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

If I was to boycott Infogrames, it would be for the same reason as Sir Ralph. I don't boycott a company for the lameness of its products (I don't buy a bad product) but for its behaviour : for example : although Nike sells good shoes, I don't buy any because of their slavery in SE Asia. Although I quite like the taste of McDonalds, I boycott it sincec it represents cultural imperialism.
                  I'll "boycott" Infogrames spontaneously if they don't sell any satisfying product, simply because I don't like to waste my money for something I dislike. If they release a good game, I'll buy it.
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                    If I was to boycott Infogrames, it would be for the same reason as Sir Ralph. I don't boycott a company for the lameness of its products (I don't buy a bad product) but for its behaviour : for example : although Nike sells good shoes, I don't buy any because of their slavery in SE Asia. Although I quite like the taste of McDonalds, I boycott it sincec it represents cultural imperialism.
                    I'll "boycott" Infogrames spontaneously if they don't sell any satisfying product, simply because I don't like to waste my money for something I dislike. If they release a good game, I'll buy it.

Yeah right
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Anyhow, I don't know if I'd boycott Infogrames, but I know I dumped their stock a couple of months ago after it pretty much went nowhere for an entire year. I still made 25%, but I was expecting more. ...
                      Maybe you've sold too early?

There still may be some upward potential, especially in anticipation of MOO3 (third quarter 2002)?!

Haven't checked on the company/earnings/figures ... though ...

AJ
                      " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
                      - emperor level all time
                      - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

Yeah! Boicot Boicot Boicot Boicot Boicot Boicot Boicot Boicot Boicot!
                        Traigo sueños, tristezas, alegrías, mansedumbres, democracias quebradas como cántaros,
                        religiones mohosas hasta el alma...

Comment

Anyhow, I don't know if I'd boycott Infogrames, but I know I dumped their stock a couple of months ago after it pretty much went nowhere for an entire year. I still made 25%, but I was expecting more.
                          Outside the irrational exuberance of the Internet "bubble", 25% in a year is considered an excellent return on an investment.

Comment

my body invoulntarilty slaps itself when i think of boycotting infogrames not infrogames, because i'm just THAT addicted to the civ franchise. yes sid, these rants are all about love.
                            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Hey uncle Odin
                              'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05

Didn't EA make American McGee's Alice? That game was pretty good (I don't care for 3rd person games, but it was better then most).
                                True, I guess.

I am a diehard Ultima fan anyway. I've been following the series since VII, got the Ultima Collection and I'm now into the rest of this great series. I guess their behaviour towards Ultima Ascension really shook my faith in them, as I was expecting more out of it. And with Richard "Lord British" Garriott walking out on them afterwards further shook my faith.

I do know of some good games they release. Who could forget The Sims? System Shock II, Shogun, Total War, and as you said: American McGee's Alice.

EA are capable of good games, but even more capable of ruining them.

I hope that EA learned their lesson when they released their second-rate efforts of Ultima Ascension and Tiberian Sun and that we can look forward to some decent games to come from them in the future.
                                "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                                "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                                "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                                X