Everybody boycott Infrogames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everybody boycott Infrogames

Infrogames really should pay for putting up all this hype for CivIII and the game is a flop:

1. They didnt iron out all the bugs because they wanted to get the game out by the holiday season

2. The editor is a peice of crap

3. The A.I. is still stupid and CHEATS

4. NO MULTIPLAYER

BOYCOTT INFROGGAMES
    Can't wait for CTP3 (Even CTP1 was better).
    Yes
    20.91%
    No
    79.09%

The poll is expired.

I can see this thread getting closed.
    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

1. The game is a best seller. I doubt that counts as a flop.

2. Your're right about the rush. Unfortunately schedules matter to some people. No not programmers prolly, but the people who employ the programmers.

3. They are ironing out the bugs.

4. The editor is *the next big item* for a patch, I believe.

5. The AI is the best yet in a civ game. Too bad our computers can't handle HAL yet. However, I think a lot of players don't really want to play an AI that learns like a human AND never makes a miscalculation.

6. No MP. Yeah that blows for some. Patience would be recommended. They might release MP in a patch.

7. Your're gonna be waiting a long time for CTP3. But then again, gods have a while don't they?
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

the only companies i MIGHT "boycott" are

1: Blizzard (they make decent games, dont get me wrong, but im not a fan of any of their games, and i feel they should provide coupons for replacement mice for all the clicking Diablo games require)

2: Microprose (actually, i LOVE microprose games... but they always give me an eerie feeling... like something isnt quite right... hrm)

so... put me on the boycott Blizzard train, but as for Infogrames and Firaxis, rock on i say... and i must be right, because 7 people agree with me... atleast on Infogrames.
        Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

I might boycott Seirra/Monolith for their butchering of the AL|EN v. Predator franchise. Rebellion for AvP3!

And while I'm at it, LucasArts for their lack of good PC games since TIE Fighter.
          I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither

6. No MP. Yeah that blows for some. Patience would be recommended. They might release MP in a patch.
            While others could care less. I could never see myself playing MP Civ, it would take to bloody long. And I doubt I'd ever be able to find someone who would sit down for at least a week in order to play a game, which is what I do when I'm having a good one. In fact, I suspect that MP players are a distinct minority with Civ.

Comment

MP'ers are no more a minority than the scenario makers
              Both groups are still important.

While you may never want to play a MP game, many of us still would. Until then, we will continue playing Civ II MP.
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Re: Everybody boycott Infrogames

Originally posted by Odin
                Infrogames really should pay for putting up all this hype for CivIII and the game is a flop:

1. They didnt iron out all the bugs because they wanted to get the game out by the holiday season

2. The editor is a peice of crap

3. The A.I. is still stupid and CHEATS

4. NO MULTIPLAYER

BOYCOTT INFROGGAMES
                Can't wait for CTP3 (Even CTP1 was better).

You forgot NO SCENARIO BUILDING, as we had in Civ 2.

Tell you this, anyone who buys another Civ III disk from Firaxis is a fool and a sucker. No doubt their little brains are planning to sell us some lame-ass Scenario Disk, and Expansion Disk, a Gold version, and an updated Strategy Guide. No sale, guys.

I expect to get all these things FREE since the disk they originally stuck me with was severely flawed.

As for the game being "a best seller", well, IT STILL SUCKS. Just because Firaxis exploits the "Civiliaztion" franchise; pays Sid for use of his name; gets its shills in the Computer Gaming World to tell us how "wonderful" Civ III is; and hence gets us suckers to buy it does not mean it is a good game.

I for one will NEVER buy anoher Firaxis product until I have spent a few months reading the online forums.
                Last edited by Coracle; March 31, 2002, 21:47.

Comment

Folks, if you had been paying attention Firaxis has been hiring some heavy hitters. It looks more and more likely that they are going to make the move to self publish.

jt

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                    MP'ers are no more a minority than the scenario makers
                    Both groups are still important.

While you may never want to play a MP game, many of us still would. Until then, we will continue playing Civ II MP.
                    Which, if I recall correctly, didn't have MP when it first came out either. I think it's more important getting the bugs out of SP first before they try and tackle MP. There's still a lot of disagreement over some of the unit stats etc., so they're going to have to hammer those out first, as well as some of the bugs that still exist. Otherwise MP is just going to be chaos, with no one being happy about it.

Comment

Lovely idea, but...

...but there's NFW I'm gonna boycott Infogrames over Civ 3. Why? Two words:

Neverwinter Nights

Maybe after June 25th.
                      -CC

Comment

Originally posted by Willem

Which, if I recall correctly, didn't have MP when it first came out either. I think it's more important getting the bugs out of SP first before they try and tackle MP. There's still a lot of disagreement over some of the unit stats etc., so they're going to have to hammer those out first, as well as some of the bugs that still exist. Otherwise MP is just going to be chaos, with no one being happy about it.
                        I agree. MP is a big deal, considering you are not dealing with AI in that arena. You'd want to make a totaly even playing field were no one can be exploited due to some glitch in the code.

Of course I don't think I'll be able to MP, since my 19k connection on my 56k modem bites.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem

Which, if I recall correctly, didn't have MP when it first came out either.
                          Civ2 came out about 6 years ago, MP was not a big deal back then. It certainly is now, because so many other games have MP. However i am willing to wait, provided its a patch and not a $50 mp expansion and then a $50 Decent Editor Gold Edition with scenarios.
                          The Civ3 world is one where stealth bombers are unable to sink galleons, Man-O-Wars are a powerful counter to battleships, and knights always come equipped with the AT-S2 Anti-Tank Sword.

The Simwiz2 Combat Mod Version 2.0 is available for download! See the changes here. You can download it from the CivFanatics Thread or the Apolyton Thread.

Comment

Originally posted by simwiz2
                            Civ2 came out about 6 years ago, MP was not a big deal back then. It certainly is now, because so many other games have MP. However i am willing to wait, provided its a patch and not a $50 mp expansion and then a $50 Decent Editor Gold Edition with scenarios.

But most games today that have MP, are usualy sloppy in the SP aspect in the game. The thinking goes that it's easier to add MP and consider that replay value then having to spend some extra time making a good SP. And usally in the end, require one or two patches to fix up the sloppy coding for MP.

This is a big fault in many PC games today IMHO. The increase use of scripted AI in SP is what makes me more picky about which games I buy.

Comment

Well you did manage to sum up my main problems with the game, almost in order. I have no plans to boycott anyone.

These are all problems I had with Black and White, and I purchased B&W : Creature Island in the hopes that it would address these issues and it did not, and I have no plans to finish creature Isle after getting stuck........

And I would buy B & W 2, if it looked good.

CIV 2 is one of my favorite games of all times, and the only one on my top ten list that doesn't have "good characters" and "good plot". I am at times disappointed with Civ3, and if they put out an XP for it I will read the box before rushing to the ATM for cash, but I'd probably get it.

Look at it another way: A boycott should have a goal. You should be trying to get the big company to do something your way, and if they do they you go back to being a good customer. What are the goals? What are the dead lines? How will you know if they have been met?

Rik

Comment

Working...
                              X