What IS that thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What IS that thing?

Can someone please tell me what the thing is in the upper left hand corner of the Info Box. It looks like a bulb or a fancy cake of soap. It lights up when you put the cursor on it. I did, and, when I clicked, all my guys went into lightning action. So fast I couldn't tell what was happening. I recognised that some of them were carrying out orders to go places I had already commanded. But I couldn't tell what else was going on.

Anyone got an explanation? It's not in the manual, as far as I can see.

Thanks in advance.
    Jack

If you click on it or in the box, you will end the current turn.

Comment

I've found that to be annoying at times - I go to hit any of the small square buttons, and if I miss a little to the right it ends my turn.

Comment

Re: What IS that thing?

Originally posted by MyOlde
        It looks like a bulb or a fancy cake of soap.
        I guess we've solved that mystery. Cake of soap? It reminds me more of a mood ring stone.
        "Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you." No they don't! They're just nerve stapled.

i like ibble blibble

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay37
          I've found that to be annoying at times - I go to hit any of the small square buttons, and if I miss a little to the right it ends my turn.
          It's good to know I'm not the only one who does that. I laugh & don't reload since I figure the AI makes enough mistakes... it deserves for me to make some too.

Comment

It also kind of looks like one of the buttons on my cell phone.
            "Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you." No they don't! They're just nerve stapled.

i like ibble blibble

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay37
              Instead of running the risk of accidentally hitting the fancy 'mood-ring jewel' end turn button by trying to click those small buttons (I don't usually use those though), you should try and learn the shortcut keys (if there are any for those commands. I admit that I'm not completely schooled in the concept of Civ III shortcut keys).

Rest assured though, that there are plenty annoyed by this thing. Especially early game when turns take up 50 years of game time. Not as much of a problem in the late game when only one year of game time is used up.

Maybe Firaxis should add the option to disable this button and leave the End Turn command to a key combo (one key would only make make it easier to screw up in this way), or at least use a key people hardly ever reach on the keyboard.
              "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
              "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
              "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

It occurs to me that it's there if you can't be bothered waiting for the AI to finish their turn -- especially in the mid-to-late game when they've got a zillion little guys galloping and running about for no good reason?

So: you'd play through your turn and then when they take over, hit the jujube?
                Jack

Comment

Originally posted by LordAzreal

Maybe Firaxis should add the option to disable this button and leave the End Turn command to a key combo (one key would only make make it easier to screw up in this way), or at least use a key people hardly ever reach on the keyboard.
                  The keyboard command for immediately ending the turn is shift-enter.

Comment

Pages 196-199 have keyboard commands.

RTM

Comment

Yeah, but who can find a manual in this mess? I would have to clean my computer room or something, and that is somekind of sin, at least that is what I tell my wife anyway.
                      Yours in gaming,
                      ~Luc

Comment

Working...
                      X