Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change Map orientation

Under the heading of "You know what would be cool":

It would be cool if, you could change the point of view on the map, so that instead of always looking at it N-S, you could rotate the map NW-SE, W-E, NE-SW, etc. Just as you could with SimCity.

Since all the units have multidirectional graphics, it should not be a problem. At anyrate it would give you a new look at your game.

Maybe so, but a much higher priority for me would be more zoom levels, at least a full-map view.

Also, I'd like to be able to scroll the minimap left or right so that, for example, I could center it on my capital city when my civ is located at the edge of the map.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple
      Maybe so, but a much higher priority for me would be more zoom levels, at least a full-map view.

Also, I'd like to be able to scroll the minimap left or right so that, for example, I could center it on my capital city when my civ is located at the edge of the map.
      Yes, those two are a requirement for 1.18f. It won't be hard to do that.

In fact, I'd like to add a button to the mini map. It would toggle the white dots on the map. The reason for this is so I can better see the overall cultural borders without the white blobs on large maps.
      I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Changing zoom levels is something that is requested often enough that I'm sure Firaxis will put it in eventually (it was incorporated in previous versions of Civ).

Being able to "rotate" the map would be a great enhancement that I don't think has been mentioned before.

Wish I had made this a poll!

Comment

yes, the ability the actually SCROLL the minimap so my epire isnt divided in 2 off the bat would be nice.

if you want my opinon, firaxis, i would make it so you can scroll it to a comfortable position and then have a "lock" option, so you cant move it anymore.
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05
            In fact, I'd like to add a button to the mini map. It would toggle the white dots on the map. The reason for this is so I can better see the overall cultural borders without the white blobs on large maps.
            Great idea. It's tough to see who has territory when all the cities have the 9 tile cultural borders. I'd say do away with the city dots altogether. Great idea. Dunk like.

Comment

Great idea Ahenobarb.

We need to be able to zoom in the editor

Comment

:bump:
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

I don't really see why being able to rotate the map would be useful in this game. In a game like simcity, you can do that to look behind tall buildings and such. In civ, you can see all the tiles without any problems, so there's really no need for this. I do agree about more zoom levels, though.

Comment

You could have a whole range of options determining what to display on the minimap. All units, particular kinds of units, hostile units, etc. Or particular cities, resources, terrain, etc. Wouldn't be neccesary to waste space for this with a permanent menu; just let it pop up when you right-click the minimap. Just like the unit menu.

Comment

ixnay37: It would give you a new perspective on the game or on your territory. So, to use Earth as an example, if you have part of Turkey and Egypt (with Syria and the Levant in between) you could rotate the map so that Gibralter is at the top and your territory is at the bottom. You could then watch yourself spread up the coastline.

there's no real reason (SimCity did have buildings that hid things), but it would break up the monotony at the end of the game. After a while that patch of land that looked so interesting when you started the game, gets dull. If you look at your land in a different way, it might seem interesting again.

And of course, let us zoom and lock the mini map! If you could rotate the map, you might get a better place to look the map, i.e. and angle where you can see everything you want to see.

Comment

i'm also a major proponent of a "culture - no cities" view for the minimap. or maybe a "culture - capitals only".

perhaps there could actually be some sort of map screen (f12) ?

where you could do lots of stuff, for example cultural threats military forces etc.

just another hopeless idea firaxis will ignore because they hate me.

Comment

I would like to play on a hemisphere, with the pole in the centre of the map (or two poles in opposite the corners).
                          A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
                          Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

I would like to play on a globe that could be rotated. A real globe, not one of those spread-out cylinder earths that civ's got.

Comment

Well any increase in the game's complexity would have to be balanced by tightening the engine. The game is already horribly slow, and it doesn't need to get any worse.
                              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X