Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think that Civilization III could be made better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sheeeesh, cloud9, how american are you??

this was a general remark.
    on a more particular note, did it ever occur to you that much, much bigger disasters than sept 11th occured during the world's history?? what are 3000 people dying in the most spectacular terrorist attack of all times, compared to other events causing the death of millions of people?? negligible, that's what. (go ahead and flame me, we both know I'm right).

as for the effects of your World Trade Center wonder, consider a commerce bonus à la Colossus instead of the effects you suggested, which are useless at this stage of the game.

Comment

ok cloud where should i start. 1st off definately more wonders of the world but your selection and bonuses need some work,
      1) pentagon-bonuses to overpowering... that simple
      2)the white house?????? sounds like a UN with extra bonuses making democracy playable in warfare
      3) WTC- plz get off the bandwagon
      4)space station.... plausible but by the time you build it you would be into future techs
      5)internet - excellent except the extra research is again a waste
      6)library of congress- we run out of techs too early now
      7)mission to mars- redundent building of spaceship parts---- would just let you know when AI was building the real spaceship

Ok now ive opened my big mouth, lets see what other possibilities there are for wonders
      1)internal combustion engine
      2)guttenbergs printing press
      3)a wonder for each government type:
      democracy-house of representatives
      communisim- the kremlin
      republic-the senate
      monarchy-the round table
      despotism- not really coming up with anything
      anarchy-tianemmen square? not really sure how that one would work
      im sure there are many others that are truly world wonders and would not just be late game builds instead of wealth.wow i could get really flamed here, we shall see.
      if it is referred to as commen sense why is it not commen?

Comment

Originally posted by dikwhit
        ok cloud where should i start. 1st off definately more wonders of the world but your selection and bonuses need some work,
        1) pentagon-bonuses to overpowering... that simple
        Not to mention the real Pentagon tends to inspire some derision, even (or is that especially) from military personnel in the US military.

So add some red tape disads.

(Besides which, the small wonder Pentagon is obviously a large GHQ for a particular civ. It would be nice if you could name it to suit your particular civ, though.)
        |"Anything I can do to help?" "Um. Short of dying? No, can't think of a |
        | thing." -Morden, Vir. 'Interludes and Examinations' -Babylon 5 |

Comment

Regarding Wonders:

Actually have the Wonders appear as buildings after they're built.

Here is an example of some of the work currently being done by Modders for CTP2:

For a better look at what's in progress, check it out at:

Comment

The "not gonna do this because it's too difficult and Firaxis'd get sued" wonder:

Stargate

Abilities: Can go to new planets, seek out new civilizations and get ambushed by aliens

Disads: Goa'uld warships entering Sol system.
            |"Anything I can do to help?" "Um. Short of dying? No, can't think of a |
            | thing." -Morden, Vir. 'Interludes and Examinations' -Babylon 5 |

Comment

Originally posted by Flanker
              And in fact, India is the biggest democracy in the world, not USA.
              Maybe India is as far as population, but as far as it's cultural effects it does not add up to the U.S.A. Period.

Let's not forget that the U.S.A. was the first Democracy ever, and as a result has had the biggest cultural influence on the free world to date.
              HAVE A DAY.
              <--- Quote by Former U.S. President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt
              "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
              For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Comment

Originally posted by Flanker
                Cloud9, IMHO those great wonders would make the game too American. There are already a lot of American wonders, so I think they are enough.
                You may think so, but these are only a portion of my ideas for new Wonders of the World. I have many more that I have not shared. And like I said in my first post to this thread, Firaxis could not possibly implement all of our ideas for expansion packs into the game or else it would become too complex. And let's not forget that in the game any civilization can use these wonders, not just the Americans.

HAVE A DAY.
                "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
                For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Comment

Let's not forget that the U.S.A. was the first Democracy ever, and as a result has had the biggest cultural influence on the free world to date.
                  Cloud, not to flame or anything but get your facts straight before posting. U.S.A was not the first Democracy, not by a longshot. Ancient Athens has that distinction. Also (sorry, had to get this jab in) how can a country call itself a Democracy when it's current leader didn't win the popular vote.
                  Also one can argue that England's democracy has the most cultural effect since other countries use it's style of parliamentary representation and constitutional monarchy (Canada, Australia, India, Denmark, Russia, Japan to name a few).
                  Only France uses a system similar to the United States (and we all know how much America loves the French).

Comment

I had to vote no for all the "many" people who visit this site, love CIV3 (as is) but who havent yet found this thread to vote and proclaim their satisfaction (but want to).
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

The USA is not a democracy it's a republic (and not even close to being the first of those).
                      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

It's a Democratic Republic based on a Union of Sovereign States.

It is the first nation state of the modern world to implement democracy on a wide scale.

It's institutions are very well developed and are in many cases far superior to the British Parliamentary system.

One of the problems with the daugthers of GB is that the nations were not founded on constitutions and developed from there. Canada is the oldest of the independant dominions. In our case the office of the Prime Minister has basically subverted all other potential powers (except the supreme court). The Governor General is nothing. The Senate is powerless. The MPs in parliament have been declawed. It has been said that the PM of Canada is the most powerful politician in the world (relative to other powers within the same state; not relative to other politicians in the world).
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I think it could be made quite a bit better. What I'd do is add movies when some wonders were built. Maybe a movie of the pyramids with camels riding by, etc... Oh, and maybe movies of the consultants you have.

Comment

We start with an arguement over whether "x" could be better and that degenerates into a revisionist history lesson. This thread should die.

USA does rule, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotten999
                              We start with an arguement over whether "x" could be better and that degenerates into a revisionist history lesson. This thread should die.

USA does rule, though.
                              Well, wheres your topic?

Comment

IMHO

Originally posted by notyoueither
                                It's a Democratic Republic based on a Union of Sovereign States.

It is the first nation state of the modern world to implement democracy on a wide scale.

It's institutions are very well developed and are in many cases far superior to the British Parliamentary system.

One of the problems with the daugthers of GB is that the nations were not founded on constitutions and developed from there. Canada is the oldest of the independant dominions. In our case the office of the Prime Minister has basically subverted all other potential powers (except the supreme court). The Governor General is nothing. The Senate is powerless. The MPs in parliament have been declawed. It has been said that the PM of Canada is the most powerful politician in the world (relative to other powers within the same state; not relative to other politicians in the world).
                                Thank you notyoueither. My point exactly!

Not to flame up or anything, but in my honest opinion I think that some of you foreigners just don't have enough respect for the United States, and as a result are putting down any ideas for "American-type" wonders in Civilization III. Sad. Sad. Sad.
                                HAVE A DAY.

Comment

Working...
                                X