Something needs to be done about...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willem

How does the drop shadow have anything to do with the Domestic Nag? Isn't that option just a graphic preference? And I wasn't talking about building units. As I said, it's only an issue when a city creates an improvement.
    Well, with the dropshadow option checked, it just builds somthing else, even when finished with an improvement.
    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

I always thought they should havea single pop up ala Master of Magic telling you of all your cities that went up a pop.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rook
        I use the governor coupled with the build que to run my cities. I check every turn or so to make sure they are building what I want them to build. Sometimes the governor will start building something I would have built anyway. That's less clicking for me. I don't understand why people won't use the governor. You don't HAVE to build what he wants to build, and you get hassled less by the "Nag." The only time the governor can be a pain is if you don't catch him on time, and he builds something you didn't want, but that's really your own fault for not checking on him.

Try using the governor. You can customize him for each of your cities. Big time saver, even if you never build what he thinks you should.
        Well if I have to check in on the gov in each and every city, every single turn, that ends up being more work than just setting up a build queue. My last game I think I had maybe 100 cities, and there's no way I want to go into each one just to make sure the gov's not building something stupid, which it usually does if left alone. The only time I've found it useful was when I was in a war as a Democracy, and my war weariness was starting to build up.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05

Well, with the dropshadow option checked, it just builds somthing else, even when finished with an improvement.
          Well there must be some bug happening because as far as I know, the drop shadow thing is just a graphic preference. I really can't see how that would have an effect on build orders. If you'd care to explain how it works, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Munroe
            I always thought they should havea single pop up ala Master of Magic telling you of all your cities that went up a pop.
            I don't see why it can't be done, having her pop up a dozen times in a turn is just redundancy. It could quite easily be dealt with in a single list, and be much less aggravating. I've reached the point where I dread getting into the Industrial Era, since with the building boom I go through then, she'll be pestering me constantly. It's not my idea of fun to say the least. And it would no doubt shorten the time a turn takes, which would certainly be welcome at that point.

Comment

The "Domestic Nag" is the pop-up that occurs when she asks if you want to change to building aqueducts/hospitals. This is annoying when you have entire continents with 1 shield 1 gold cities littered everywhere. Not only do you not want to increase costs from that area and pollution, but you don't want to be reminded every 10 turns about it either!!

Now for the good news.

In the last chat, Soren aknowledged that the Domestic Nag was a problem that we customers wanted fixed.
              Hopefully as an option so that people like rogue who like it can keep it.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

That would be great
                "einstein would turn over in his grave, not only does god play dice, the dice are loaded"

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns

In the last chat, Soren aknowledged that the Domestic Nag was a problem that we customers wanted fixed.
                  Oh man, that is such good news! I gave up on my last game because of that, I just couldn't take it anymore. It was just turning into a monotonous routine of hitting the Enter button over and over again, even though I had gone to the trouble of setting up building queues. It's nice to be kept informed, but I'm sure there's a much less aggravating way of accomplishing this.

Comment

Well if I have to check in on the gov in each and every city, every single turn, that ends up being more work than just setting up a build queue. My last game I think I had maybe 100 cities, and there's no way I want to go into each one just to make sure the gov's not building something stupid, which it usually does if left alone. The only time I've found it useful was when I was in a war as a Democracy, and my war weariness was starting to build up.
                    OK, so if you get your wish, and the "nag" goes away, now each turn you will have to check your cities just like you would if the governor was building for you. It's the exact same thing. Unless the nag pops up and tells you the temple is done, you would only know if you checked. Besides, what happens if the governor is turned off, and your temple is done, but you don't change the build order and you don't have a que set up? Does the city just sit there and build nothing? At least the governor will start something, and if you don't like it, you change it.

Comment

Well there must be some bug happening because as far as I know, the drop shadow thing is just a graphic preference. I really can't see how that would have an effect on build orders. If you'd care to explain how it works, I'd love to be proven wrong.
                      It must be a bug for me then (I've always wondered why they called it drop shadow to begin with). Cause the demostic advisor never pops up unless there is rioting with that checked. Personaly, I don't use it much since I rather be told about a city that finished something, because otherwise I might forget.
                      I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

It's one of those things that needs to be toggleable.
                        Some people like it; some people hate it.
                        The simplest solution is to be able to choose at the beginning or even during the game to switch this on or off.

Robert
                        A strategy guide? Yeah, it's what used to be called the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by kailhun
                          The simplest solution is to be able to choose at the beginning or even during the game to switch this on or off.

Robert
                          I'm getting a feeling that Civ3 is going to be one big toggable program.

Comment

Originally posted by kailhun

Robert
                            No, I think it just needs to be handled differently. There's no contest that the player should be informed about what gets built in his/her cities, but it doesn't have to occur a dozen times per turn. A single report would be more than sufficient. Anything else is just overkill and ends up becoming tedious and frustrating.

Comment

I agree with that idea. A single sheet at the end would be good.

However I don't really have all that much problem with this specific aspect of the Domestic Imbecile. I bet I would though if I played on huge maps. I sure didn't like it when I have tested some of the saves that have posted to see what was going wrong in them.

I do like the rioting pop ups though. It gives me a chance to scroll through all the cities and fix them before the Domestic Arsonist sets them all on fire.

Something needs to be done about that firebug. A straight jacket and thorazine perhaps. Electro-shock therapy might do it. Teach her to let my people get war weary. Its her job why doesn't she do it. Set Nurse Ratched on her. Then get out the lobotomy knives. Better yet, let Montezuma trepan her. He could air her closed little mind out real good with an obsideon knife.

I am running out of rants. Please help.

Comment

Originally posted by Ethelred
                                However I don't really have all that much problem with this specific aspect of the Domestic Imbecile. I bet I would though if I played on huge maps. I sure didn't like it when I have tested some of the saves that have posted to see what was going wrong in them.
                                Well I do play on huge maps, 256 X 256 in fact, so it certainly is an issue for me. That last game I've been ranting about I think I may have been approaching 100 cities. When I went through my Industrial building boom, all hell broke loose and it seemed like I was doing nothing but hitting the Enter to shut that screen off. It was especially bothersome since all I was doing was confirming what I had put in my building queues in the first place. The only time I find that message useful is when I reach the end of the list.

Comment

Working...
                                X