Iron Works, how to find the city?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ghengis Brom
    I don't know what the problem is. Whenever I or another civ has discovered an advance which brings with it a strategic resource I always search the map to find out if the resource has appeared within my borders, where the resource is located and which of my rivals now have access to the resource. If I don't get the resource you can be sure I'm searching the map to find where it is.

As far as having the resource connected, one of my first priorities is to make sure all of my cities are connected by roads. In my current game I'm playing the Americans. It's around 700 BC and there is one source of horses which was located approximately 20 tiles from my nearest city. I have built more cities to the point where my closest is now 5 or 6 tiles away but I've had a road leading to the area for the last 10 or 15 turns because I sent workers to build a road as soon as the horses appeared.

The short of it is that I've been able to build Iron Works in any city whenever I have coal.
    I have to add that there haven't been too many games where I've gotten coal. The game I'm playing now is on a huge map with 7 other civs, everyone has Steam Power. There are only two coal deposits on the entire map. Both of them are located far enough away that I have resigned myself to not having coal.

Another thing I'm not sure if anyone is aware of is that as soon as you build your first Iron Works global warming begins.
    "Decadent Western Infidel On Board"
    "Even Hell Has It's Heroes"

Comment

Manual search is necessary, because the coal may not be connected. I hit ctrl+shift+m and start in areas that have hills and jungle. I usually play on normal maps, so it's not too tedious. I like the "people of xxx want to build the ironworks" idea, though.

I have built it several times. I've even built a city specifically so I could build it. This city was very close to my capitol, so it was almost corruption-free. I think it was punching out tanks in 2 turns at size 7.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachriel
        Press F2. Mouse-over the resource icons on the top left of the screen. It will tell you which cities have coal and which have iron.

Now that is an idea!!

While it won't help you find cities with both coal and iron together (unless you are lucky), it will narrow your search down to the cities that contain iron.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I haven't edited my resource appearance rating, and I have recieved the Iron Works in almost every game that I have played. The easy way to find out which city can build Iron Works is to take note of which cities have iron. You should have iron for many turns before coal, so you should know where to look when coal appears.
          "The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796

Comment

Working...
          X