• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banana.
    I have no signature.
    -Bob Dole

Comment

I'll always raize (due to unhappiness/warring mother country/reversal factors), but not whenever I'm sure that I can finish off the enemy civ within a couple of turns ...

I'd walk another way if the game'd let me, but if I play for winning (who doesn't?) on emperor or deity, it just becomes too hard to succeed without raizing ...

It does conflict with my political/ethical understandings, but since this is a game ...

AJ
      " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
      - emperor level all time
      - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny
        ...Of course, culture flipping is almost never a problem. I only raze cities if they are one of the enemy's core/high culture cities (and it isn't their last city).
        I agree, culture flipping is almost never a problem.

Unhappiness however ..!

When I'm warring I'll usually not stop before finishing off the enemy civ. That means fighting long wars!

If fighting long wars, you just can't keep enemy cities: the unhappiness caused by drafting and warring the mother country is just too heavy, leaving you with 'dead' cities that can't produce anything and won't grow ...

Much better to settle yourself!

I'll just keep enemy cities whenever I'll be able to kill off the enemy civ within a couple of turns.

AJ
        " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
        - emperor level all time
        - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

I almost always capture cuz then I dont have the problem of building barracks, aqueduc and all that stuff. And I usually by temples, library and cathedral after there first turn of production so it goes pretty fast. Unless the city is to far away and will produce only 1 sheild then I just raze it or capture it to give it to another civ.

Spec.
          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

For me it depends on the type of war I am in, the type of government I am in, and how long the war is going to last.

I usually do not raze cities in Democracy or Republic, as those types of governement wouldn't usually get away with it (kinda dorky, but it's more realistic). If i'm anything ese, I usually just go fo the land and bring my own citizens along to build cities. I either sell the captured workers or use them as bargaining chips for peace talks.

It doesn't take that long for a city to grow if you plop it down in the middle of the old cities imrovements, and if the AI wins the counter offensive, then the city may revert back to you. It also allows to you position cities to better fit the resources.

The few exceptions are the presence of wonders, the last city, or strategic importance w/o a convenient settler to rebuild the city.
            "Government isn't the solution to our problems; Government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

No, I don't have Civ4 yet...

Comment

I normally keep cities rather then razing them, particularly in the early game, and especially now that you can fortify a captured city against flipping. Of course if the captured city is a major culture producer or if it's next to a major culture producer I'll raze the city. The exception to this is, like AJ, if I'm about to wipe the civ out in the next few turns.

One tactic I've used quite effectively is what I like to call the Capitol Culture Crush. Lets say a rival civ's capitol is located relatively close to your empire but the rest of their cities are spread over a third of the map. You have other rival civs to contend with but you know this neighbor is going to be a thorn in your side. Send your troops in and crush every city in a straight line to the capitol. If you are fast enough the AI doesn't have the time to fortify with tons of defensive units, take the capitol and raze that sucker. That is the end of the game for that civ. Their culture grinds to almost a complete halt. I've done this in three games and the rival civ never regains it's former power and has always finished in last place, thats if they aren't destroyed.
              "Decadent Western Infidel On Board"
              "Even Hell Has It's Heroes"

Comment

Early in the game, I'll keep cities I capture. Later, after Nationalism and the draft, I've gone to razing them. It's much easier to replace with my settlers, than getting stuck with a bunch of Hell-No-We-Won't-Gos.

Although if I capture a city with a functional wonder, I'll keep that.

Comment

I chose the middle option, because I do basically what randommushroon said. Keep early, raze late.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                    I chose the middle option, because I do basically what randommushroon said. Keep early, raze late.

-Arrian

And just keep reminding yourself it is only a digital simulation. My latest game could give me a guilt complex if I took it too seriously. Razed the Chinese, Russians, and Zulus from the map. Persia is soon to go. Lots of Chinese, Russians, Zulus, Persians, and Aztecs working on clearing out the jungles of the continent.

But it was all Joan's fault. If she hadn't sneak attacked me, it was going to be a nice peaceful game. Why the heck did she send one horseman (!!!) to attack my city? Within a few turns, the whole world was up in flames.

Sometimes it's a fun game. Sometimes a funny game. Just don't think about it too hard.

Comment

Originally posted by randommushroom

My latest game could give me a guilt complex if I took it too seriously.
                      no kidding, especially when you sell you prisoners to the likes of the Zulus, or even worse, the aztecs.
                      "Government isn't the solution to our problems; Government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

No, I don't have Civ4 yet...

Comment

Yeah, genocidal meglomania is fine, so long as we're talking about pixels.

In just about every game, my workforce is entirely slave labor by the late industrial period. Why pay? Of course, that's slavery, but I feel no pity for the pixels that labor in bondage.

I happily burn large cities and starve towns almost out of existence, and the people love me. If only Elvis were around to tell me so...

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I usually go for a domination victory, so i keep most cities and then immediatly rush a temple\ library to get 100 culture fast
                          Why do people slaughter inocent Goats for no apparent reason??

Comment

Working...
                          X