Do you Capture or Raze?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you Capture or Raze?

With all the discussion of capturing cities versus razing them, I thought a poll might be interesting.
    I almost always capture cities intact.
    32.84%
    I tend toward capturing cities intact.
    20.90%
    I capture and raze about equally.
    14.93%
    I tend toward razing cities.
    13.43%
    I almost always raze cities.
    17.91%

It depends on how unhappy I think the citizens might be due to poprushing, drafting, etc. Post-1.17, this is a much bigger issue.

On the flip side, I never worry about culture flipping, as I arrive with overwhelming force.

R
    "Verily, thou art not paid for thy methods, but for thy results, by which meaneth thou shalt kill thine enemy by any means available before he killeth you." - Richard Marcinko

Comment

Definitely depends on happiness and wonders and such. If I know that it previously was a huge city but then drafted like hell, then it gets razed. If it is a tiny city in a good position, it is kept. If it has wonders, then it is kept. If it is a large city and not the enemy's last, then it is razed. If I know that I'll be razing a lot of cities and I want the territory that I'm invading, then I'll bring along a band of settlers to build cities in the conquered land.

Comment

I might raze a city about once every 5 games...I almost always keep them intact and work with them from there...

Comment

early in the game i almost always keep the cities i conquer. there usually isn't enough culture accrued to cause culture flipping if i place a large enough force.

towards the industrial and modern era i just waste the city unless
          1.) i need a jumping off point to destroy the civilization on a continent
          2.) it's the very last city of the civilization. no culture flipping going to happen there
          3.) i just hit the wrong button and am stuck with it

i find that razing works and has its place but i tend toward keeping the cities.
          so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

I tend to raze. Especially if the city is far away from my main body of cities. I just don't have the ambition to develope them
            You're a man- you can be replaced.

Comment

I capture the first few cities to establish a base for my military operations. Then a raze until the AI surrenders, unless of course there is a city with beaucoup resources around it.
              Est-ce que tu as vu une baleine avec un queue taché?
              If you don't feel the slightist bit joyful seeing the Iraqis dancing in the street, then you are lost to the radical left. If you don't feel the slightest bit bad that we had to use force to do this, then you are lost to the radical right.

Comment

Depends on when in the game.

At the start, I keep all cities - no exceptions. They don't have enough culture yet to revert, and I generally exterminate the unlucky civ that starts next to me. The extra population is well worth the risk.

Even though I tend towards keeping enemy cities, some such as the mega-cities next to the enemy capital just must be razed. Thats about all the razing I do, unless I just feel mean.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I'm a builder, who sometimes go to war to have even more production in the future. Except if the city is sure to revolt, I keep and develop it. I rename it when all foreigners have been assimilated.
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I almost ALWAYS Raze. The extra (no upkeep) workers you get with razing are far more valuable than most captured cities. If you want the land , include settlers in your war party!
                    I used to be a builder. That was before I played Civ III

Comment

I only capture cities with bananas.

And their capital. Since Firaxis forgot to add the "Here's is the enemy's head on a silver dish" animation.
                      I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

My policy's the same a Roadcage's. Plus, I don't like where the AI places its cities.

Comment

I've never found razing to be necessary, and it leaves a deep wound in the world. Those who raze will be remembered by history for their deeds in pursuit of their ambitions.

Comment

I almost always keep captured cities and work with them. I usually build/buy a temple ASAP so culture flipping isn't much of a problem. Of course, culture flipping is almost never a problem. I only raze cities if they are one of the enemy's core/high culture cities (and it isn't their last city).

Comment

Exactly how big does an occupying force need to be to prevent a flip???

Comment

Working...
                              X