Beating the Culture Flip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beating the Culture Flip

I have yet to experience culture flip during any of my conquests and I think it may be due to my strategy of bringing in workers and settlers into newly conquered cities. I add them to the population and it seems to make assimilation occur faster. Has anyone else tried this strategy?
    "Our lives are frittered away by detail....simplify, simplify."

No, I simply disband most of them.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Defining Assimilation

What I mean is that I increase the size of the city by adding my civs citizens to the newly conquered city. The cities have never flipped and quickly end up showing all of the people as being my citizens.
      "Our lives are frittered away by detail....simplify, simplify."

Comment

Deornwulf

adding your workers to the cities does not change assimilation rates as far as i know, but you are right about it helping to prevent cultural flips, i usally don't add workers in but i try to grow the population as quickly as possible in order to achieve the same effect

basically the greater percentage of your workers in the city the less chance it has of flipping

Comment

If you are keeping cities, make sure that your culture is better than your opponent's, make sure that the capital isn't nearby, starve the native population, provide a strong garrison, add your own workers. and try to rush a library. This will prevent a flip.
          "The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796

Comment

Most successful way to guarantee no culture flipping long term.

Wipe them out. All of them.

The civ not the cities. Razing is wastefull.

In the meantime I recommend rushing a temple or library whichever is cheaper. Resistance is feudal.

Comment

If you are a communism or despotism and have just taken a large city off your enemy, here's a way to stop flip-backs...

Whip the people of the other culture to rush a temple/library until there's only about three left. Then have your workers/settlers refill the population with your own culture.

However, with other governments, you'll have to pay to rush the temple/library and starve the enemy population out before replacing them with your own people.

Of course, the perfect way of preventing flip-backs is to completely conquer their whole civilization in one turn (yes it CAN be done. Simply do what Bismarck or Shaka do in this game... get a right of passage agreement and use it to deploy troops deep in their territory, only difference is that you send enough troops to actually take cities and do major damage). You may need to steal their plans regularly to ensure that the militia you send in is sufficient to the task (if you have a spy deployed amongst them). If you can wipe out say... the Germans in one turn, then it doesn't matter that the game still thinks the people of places like Berlin, Leipzig and Konigsberg to be German, as there is no German civ to flip back to. To avoid having them flip to a third civ, simply rush build temples/libraries in the cities near a shared border.

Being a strong advocate of human rights and equality, and being one who utterly condemns war crimes of any type, I prefer the latter method of wiping out the civ, not its people.
              "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
              "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
              "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by LordAzreal
                Being a strong advocate of human rights and equality, and being one who utterly condemns war crimes of any type, I prefer the latter method of wiping out the civ, not its people.
                Right on! Besides, just rush the temple. That usually stops most immediate flips. Time is of the essence. You must establish (cultural) control of the situation immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by korn469
                  Deornwulf

adding your workers to the cities does not change assimilation rates as far as i know, but you are right about it helping to prevent cultural flips, i usally don't add workers in but i try to grow the population as quickly as possible in order to achieve the same effect

basically the greater percentage of your workers in the city the less chance it has of flipping
                  Korn,
                  Actually it could work rather well and I'll tell you why. In order for an individual population to convert, it must spend more time as a minority than it did as a majority. The quicker you can get them into the minority, the quicker you can start assimilating them. Also, I believe minorities also have an nearly impossible time flipping cities (all things being equal, of course). I'm going to start messing with this when I play and see how effective it is (I'm always looking for new strategies ).

Speedy
                  Barry Caudill
                  Executive Producer
                  Firaxis Games
                  2K Games/Take 2 Interactive

Comment

My general approach:

Ancient/Medieval times - keep all cities. Starve down to pop1 or pop2 and rush a temple (religious... temple=1poprush). If under republic, purchase temple/cathedral or library after 1 turn delay to lower cost. It then fills up with your citizens. Occasionally, I may raze a capitol and rebuild, just to make sure.

Industrial/Modern - keep only border towns/small coastal cities, which are starved to pop1. Temples/etc rushed. Large, core cities are razed en masse, and rebuilt. The reasons being culture flip worries and unhappiness caused by AI drafting.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

If game conditions weren't so penalizing toward keeping conquered cities (especially above 6), I would NEVER raize.
                      It does conflict with my ethical and political views.

However, the game rules work as they were programmed
                      (couldn't this get fixed? It's so 'bloody' and not necessarily realistic), and so I play to become the winner ...

Consequently, I will ALWAYS raize conquered cities (albeinot if I capture a GW with active influences) and settle rapidly afterwards.
                      I'll stop raizing by the time I'm sure that it won't take many turns to conquer the last remaining AI civ (so unhappiness/reversal factors disappear).

Wished there were better ways to 'integrate' conquered populations though

AJ
                      " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
                      - emperor level all time
                      - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

In order for an individual population to convert, it must spend more time as a minority than it did as a majority. The quicker you can get them into the minority, the quicker you can start assimilating them. Also, I believe minorities also have an nearly impossible time flipping cities (all things being equal, of course). I'm going to start messing with this when I play and see how effective it is (I'm always looking for new strategies :idea
                        ok let me get this straight,

democracy for example has an assimilation rate of 4%, but what you are saying is that citizens of another nationality only assimilate when they are in the minority

so if a persian city conquered by the greeks has 4 persians and 3 greeks none of the persians would assimilate?

what would happen with 4 persians and 4 greeks?

and when we have 4 persians and 5 greeks then the persians start assimilating correct?

is that correct or did i miss something?

thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by korn469

ok let me get this straight,

democracy for example has an assimilation rate of 4%, but what you are saying is that citizens of another nationality only assimilate when they are in the minority

so if a persian city conquered by the greeks has 4 persians and 3 greeks none of the persians would assimilate?

what would happen with 4 persians and 4 greeks?

and when we have 4 persians and 5 greeks then the persians start assimilating correct?

is that correct or did i miss something?

thanks in advance
                          Correct. You don't have any chance at assimilation until the right circumstances are present. After that, you have a chance per turn (4% in Democracy) to assimilate the foreign population.

Speedy
                          Barry Caudill
                          Executive Producer
                          Firaxis Games
                          2K Games/Take 2 Interactive

Comment

Ah, good info. And all the more reason to starve captured cities, if you intend to keep 'em for the long haul. Particularly if you do not intend or cannot manage to wipe out the opposing civ.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Ethelred
                              Most successful way to guarantee no culture flipping long term.

Wipe them out. All of them.

The civ not the cities. Razing is wastefull.

In the meantime I recommend rushing a temple or library whichever is cheaper. Resistance is feudal.
                              a man after my own heart. the indians cant revolt or whine about me attacking their home nations if it's not there anymore.
                              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Working...
                              X