• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• colony building (or lack of)

i cant build a colony

im useing the right type of resources, im useing a worker unit
    inside, outside city area
    inside, outside cultural area... nothing works
    I never have seen the build colony option....

is there something else that is needed ?

Do you have a road leading to the resource from one of your cities? Also remember that colonies can only be built on strategic or bonus resources (i.e. horses, iron, silks, ivory, etc.).
    "Decadent Western Infidel On Board"
    "Even Hell Has It's Heroes"

Comment

yup

ya... useing the book for knowing the diff resource types, Im only trying to the right ones.... got roads, got railroads, got no roads, ive tried everything I cam think of, every combination of whatever to trigger it.....

perhaps someone will go out of their way and make a complete list of everything needed to build a colony..... ?

Comment

The basic criteria are:

A strategic or luxury resource.
        That resource not within anyones cultural border.
        Just put a worker on it, and you will get the option.

One final point, they cannot be built on bonus resources - things like gold or bananas. Only resources that are used inside the city for making people happy or making units.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

All you have to do to build a colony is to put a worker right over the resource that you want to build a colony on and press the button on the workers actions that make the worker form a colony, and thats it. You dont even need roads leading up to were you want to build the colony. In all my games though I really ever build a colony, instead I build a city on top or near the resource I want, that way the AI wont come along and put a city right next to the colony, and it is gone.
          Donate to the American Red Cross.
          Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

What version patch do you have?
            Traigo sueños, tristezas, alegrías, mansedumbres, democracias quebradas como cántaros,
            religiones mohosas hasta el alma...

Comment

Yeah I rarely build a conoly myself, but they gave you the basic criteria. Good Luck
              Yours in gaming,
              ~Luc

Comment

The colonys are great just for one thing... they dissapear when a cultural limit is over... I will like an all terrain colonies sustented by the militar power.
                Traigo sueños, tristezas, alegrías, mansedumbres, democracias quebradas como cántaros,
                religiones mohosas hasta el alma...

Comment

One of the many stupidities about Civ 3 is colonies.

They just disappear when a rival civ builds a city nearby, or when its "culture borders" (also nonsense) flip over your colony.

In reality, and in history, trying to take over a colony that way would be considered aggression and an act of war. But in Civ 3 logic is reversed. If you lose your colony that way YOU get blamed if yiou refuse to leave and a war occurs.

Comment

Yeah that always struck me as odd too.
                    Yours in gaming,
                    ~Luc

Comment

I'd completely forgotten about colonies. I'm usually too busy grabbing land with cities. The workers are all used to road stuff up, mine and irrigate to waste on a colony that will disappear when it falls within the borders of a city.

Robert
                      A strategy guide? Yeah, it's what used to be called the manual.

Comment

Not me, everytime I see a resource I figure out if a colony or a city is better.
                        Yours in gaming,
                        ~Luc

Comment

I've only used colonies once. In a recent Regent game, playing the Germans, I was going for a conquest victory. I'd just finished wiping out the Iroquois, Zulu, and Japanese on their continent (too far from mine to make it worthwile to keep their cities, I just razed them). Had only one city on that continent, with an airport that I rush-built so I could keep sending fresh modern armours to the front lines.

The last remaining civ was the Persians, and they were trading me three luxury resources. I knew that if I lost those luxuries my cities would fall into disorder, or at best have their production severely hampered. I saw two of those luxuries somewhat near my airport city, and the third only existed within the Persian cultural borders. So I built colonies on the two I could, fortified with mech infantry, and positioned my troops (8 modern armour, plus 2 mech inf. and 1 worker) outside the Persian borders with the nearest wines tile. First round of war, lost my trades of course, but blitzed the persian city near the wines and quickly built a colony, fortified with the 2 mech inf. Tada, at war but without losing any luxuries.

Comment

That seems to be a common occurance in my games, except with strategic resources.
                            Yours in gaming,
                            ~Luc

Comment

I generally use colonies when I'm capturing enemy cities, and their cultural borders shrink to size1. Many times, luxury resources end up in no-man's land between cities, and I use a captured worker to colonize it so I get the luxury right away, to help with war weariness or to trade. It's just a temporary thing.

I think the name "colony" mislead some players. "Work camp" or "plantation" might be better.

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                              X