Do you tend to help weak civs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you tend to help weak civs?

I almost always do. I always go after the strongest and when I have to many cities on a large or huge maps and I give the newly conquered cities to the weakest civs. Do you do that? I mean, do you help weak civs or you obliterate them on first sight?

Spec.
    I help them by killing the stronger civs first.
    21.62%
    I give newlyconquered cities to the weakest civs when I got to many.
    21.62%
    I kill them right away, if you're weak, you deserve to die!
    14.86%
    I dont care about them, they either live or die
    13.51%
    They trade me bananas for their lives!
    28.38%

The poll is expired.

-Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Yes I love to help out weak civs, by adding them to my glorious empire.

Comment

If they're close enough to be productive cities - they're instant toast. If they're way over in never-never land I'm their best friend.
      "I was a young man with unformed ideas. I threw out queries, suggestions, wondering all the time over everything, and to my astonishment, the ideas took like wildfire. People made a religion of them." - Charles Darwin

Comment

Yes, for the diplomatic victory!
        Traigo sueños, tristezas, alegrías, mansedumbres, democracias quebradas como cántaros,
        religiones mohosas hasta el alma...

Comment

Sometimes I help them for balance of power reasons. I give them excess strategic resources for free and sometimes suitable cities. I would like to give them strong defensive units. Not on my own continent, though.

Comment

I love getting those smaller guys to ally with me against a larger opponent, usually right before I sue for peace. Then I supply as much coin, resources, and workers as I can afford to help them fight my battles for me.

Comment

Makes me think of the old Civ 1 tutorial "general principle." Crush weaker civs, make peace with stronger ones, or something to that effect.

I've heard people talk about making "client states" but I've never been able to get this to happen. In fact, the only time I've ever gotten tribute is during a peace negotiation with a clearly prostrate enemy.

Even the best treated rival seems to become ungrateful as the game progresses. Let's just kill them, I think.

Comment

If they're beside a strong civ, I like to give them resources and tech so that they can compete. It keeps the other civ from taking them over and becoming bigger and when I finally get around to smashing that guy, I'll have a nice ally to rush in from the other side. A lot of times, that weakens my ally, too, and then I can take his territory when the war is over.
                petey

-When in doubt attack. When not in doubt, attack anyways - it's more fun

Comment

quoted from disney's "Education For Death" (anti-nazi war propaganda):

"the world belongs to the strong! and to the brutal! the rabbit is a coward and deserves to die, i spit on the rabbit. I hate the rabbit, there is no room for weaklings"
                  "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

The problem with giving week civs your captured cities, is they usually manage to lose them. Everytime I've tried it the city either flips, is traded, or is conquered by the Civ I took it from in the first place.

Once you have all of their tech, and have sold them as a contact, and they have no $ there is no point in letting them live.

Comment

Yes and no. As some have already said, it depends on their proximity to my empire. If they're neighbors then I usually subjugate them fairly early in the game. If they are located far from my borders then I may help them but this depends on a couple factors as well. First, are they located near a rival civ, if they are then I will pump the weaker civ up with just enough gold and tech to be a nuisance to the rival civ. If they're out in the middle of nowhere or on a small island by themselves I will give them just enough that they remain on friendly terms with me and stay far enough behind me in tech that they're not a threat. This way if war breaks out they are less likely to side against me.
                      "Decadent Western Infidel On Board"
                      "Even Hell Has It's Heroes"

Comment

Because I rarely go after stronger nations head on, I usually give weaker civs on other continents techs and resources. If possible, I'll station troops in their borders and sign MPPs with them so that I can get an excuse to go after stronger civs. Why do I do all this? I guess I just like to root for the underdogs.

Comment

I tend to help weaker civs - like the Romans - as I am normally crushing the biggest other civ and it is nice to have help to distract their forces. Also I don't want to have to leave units behind to guard all these new cities. The solution - donate to a weak civ, help them get stronger to put up a better fight, and help me finish destroying the other civ.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I usually help them out, but then again, I usually pay them to go to way with my enemies which makes them the weakest civ. And if they don't like me, or don't trade fairly with me, then I conquer them.
                            Yours in gaming,
                            ~Luc

Comment

I try not to, but if they're really close to me and they keep violating my borders, and I have to keep warning them. I finally get sick of it and kill them off. But I have noticed since I downloaded the patch is the AI does trade tech a lot. I am just glad I can stay technologically ahead of the AI.
                              ZigZac

Having a no smoking section in a restaurant is like having a no peeing section in a swimming pool.

Comment

Working...
                              X