Litaracy Rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Litaracy Rate

Can anyone tell me what actually affects this?

Re: Litaracy Rate

Originally posted by GeneralTacticus

Litaracy Rate

Seriously, though, if it is the same as in Civ1/2,
    it is the number of Libraries and Universities you have, as well as certain advances like Writing, Literacy, Alphabet and University.

Litaracy rate.... Now THAT is comedy.
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

If we are already at demographics how's family size calculated? The numbers in Civ3 seem buggy to me. Family size is mostly given with 1 which in fact would mean it's shrinking.

Comment

That would be (if in earlier Civs) based on the surplus food being produced.

Am unsure of the exact formula, but I imagine one or two cities producing a surplus in an empire of 10 cities is likely to produce a family size of 1 or so.
        Consul.

Comment

Maybe they are single-parent families...
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Seriously, though, if it is the same as in Civ1/2,
            it is the number of Libraries and Universities you have, as well as certain advances like Writing, Literacy, Alphabet and University.
            Well, if that's so, would that be the total number that you had, or the amount relative to pop? e.g. if you had 1 city with all the advances and a library + University, would you get a literacy rate of 100%?

Comment

I suspect so, and it always seemed the case in Civ2 that you didn't need all of those in all your cities for a 100% rating. It may have been based on income as well. It was always my most enormous & rich empires that achieved that. As far as Civ3 goes... you'd have to hope someone who has played it more than I did before giving up answers you.
              Consul.

Comment

Family size, as I understand it, is simply a matter of how much surplus food you bring in per turn. I usually have a small "family size" because I mine more than irrigate, particularly once my cities hit size 12.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Lib + Univ != 100%

NB: building lib and univ in all cities will only give lit rate of about 70%. This is where the AI usually stops increasing literacy rate. To get higher you need to add Research labs.

Comment

How about military service?

Comment

It gives me an idea for one those CivFanatics RBD games: The Morons. No Libraries, no research, if you capture a city with a library it must be razed.

Comment

Originally posted by randommushroom
                        It gives me an idea for one those CivFanatics RBD games: The Morons. No Libraries, no research, if you capture a city with a library it must be razed.
                        That makes sense, since you don't want that new cities that has a library filled with books that talk about the evil randommushroom empire.
                        I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Originally posted by denas
                          How about military service?
                          I'm just guessing here but it's probably some ratio of citizens to military.
                          "Decadent Western Infidel On Board"
                          "Even Hell Has It's Heroes"

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05

That makes sense, since you don't want that new cities that has a library filled with books that talk about the evil randommushroom empire.

Nope you wouldn't want that. Though for some strange reason, I find this compelling enough to start a thread in Stories to see if there would be interest in a Succession game using this Moron idea.

Comment

The Litaracy Rate...

... is obviously very low.

Also, you could call that game "Fahrenheit 451"

Comment

Working...
                              X