Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two Camps and should there be a declaration of war?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

while i like civ3, and think they really have made alot of worthwhile improvements, i also think they rushed civ3 out for christmas and that it could have better and less frustrating if they had of waited until the scenario editor was finished and at least PBEM worked

overall the attention to detail that made SMAC so great was not in civ3 either, but SMAC had to immerse the player more since it was SciFi and people don't know what MMI, while everyone knows that gunpowder is

while i think civ3 is the best game in the civ genre yet, i don't think it is as good as it could have been, and losing 7 months of development time by brian reynolds and the rest of BHG leaving is probably the number one cause of most of the problems

though i don't blame BR and BHG they had an oppertunity to make it from themselves and they took it, it's the american way, and soren and Jeff Briggs did a pretty good job with civ3, they just needed about 7 more months

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
      Well, the most damning evidence of the purely pathetic essence of Civ3 is that someone like me, who is a hopeless hardcore game player, finds more entertainment criticizing a game than playing it.
      So true.

I find myself wishing I had started a game of Civ II when I play Civ 3.

Comment

I actually dislike Civ3's full-screen view, and prefer Civ2's more "Standard Windows Program" look, but I have to admit that I like Civ3's nuke animations better. BOOM. owie

Banana

Comment

Bah, Civ3 nukes are little more than firecrackers when compared to SMAC's planet busters.

I'm much like Sir Ralph, in that I could fit in all three camps. While I can't really say Civ3 is a great game, it's not really a bad one either.
          There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

"It is no secret that the regular posters here are divided into three camps, the critics, the fanboys, and the neutrals. "

Fact or opinion? It seems to be presented as a fact... but critics, fanboys and neutrals? Not whiners, critics, fanboys and neutrals? I think an important class has been left out. The list, as proposed, sounds iffy to me

Rant
            Formal debate: The best use of fromal debate is finding out who's the best formal debater. Oh hell - I'll just plainly state what I think about formal debate: It's idiotic. It's for people who either are
            a) Rotten communicators/philosophers (in the sense of someone trained to logically think about and test ideas.)
            b) Would be at each other's throats if they didn't have a "formal" framework
            or
            c) Like making speechs

Now - LOTS of people are poor communicators, untrained in philosophy, contentious, and like hearing themselves talk. For all those people formal debate is better than most alternatives... but it's a dinasaur. Gosh, do I despise formal debate.

Now, an impartially arbitrated "argument", where the arbitrator is willing and able to head off most fallacies (errors in logic, if not errors in fact) would be usefull. Debate - I spit in it's general direction.
            Rant off.

"Not a matter of opinion at all." You can make pretty much _anything_ into "not a matter of opinion" if you carefully lay out the criteria by which the non-opnion will be rendered. Ok... now, how do you chose the cirteria? If choose everything that Civ2 was better at as your criteria then, sure, you'll "prove" that Civ2 is better. If you use different criteria then you can end up with a different result. So, jimmytrick - what are _your_ criteria, and (most importantly) why should we adopt them?

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
              I actually dislike Civ3's full-screen view, and prefer Civ2's more "Standard Windows Program" look, but I have to admit that I like Civ3's nuke animations better. BOOM. owie

Banana
              (I'd like you (skywalker) and jimmytrick to discuss your use of the words "prefer" "dislike" and "like.")

Comment

Senator, it depends on what your definition of "is" is.

Dan
                Dan Magaha
                Firaxis Games, Inc.
                --------------------------

Comment

umm, i think it's definatly the Fanboys who are camp
                  Up The Millers

Comment

Where do I belong?
                    Sorry....nothing to say!

Comment

Originally posted by Qilue
                      Bah, Civ3 nukes are little more than firecrackers when compared to SMAC's planet busters.
                      Yes, the Planet Busters sure were impressive weren't they? Definitely a "Holy ****!" factor when someone wiped out one of your cities with one.

Comment

Can we have a "pukers" category for those of us who (i) poke our head out of the OT, (ii) look around in the CivIII categories, (iii) see all the nauseating whinging, ranting, complaining, "I've been violated, I feel so used" crap (iv) puke and (v) go back to the OT?

Post the answer in the OT because after I clean up the vomit, that is where I'll be.
                        What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Comment

Working...
                        X