Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone printed out Vel's strategy guide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone printed out Vel's strategy guide?

I have found Vel's strategy guide thread #2 and thread #3. There is wonderful help and information in both.

But I don't know if there is enough paper to print either of them out.

Have any of you printed either one out? How many pages did you use? Isn't thread #3 the most up to date?

And what parts of it do you consider essential in case I can't print the whole thing out?

Does Vel have a shortened version anywhere?

Thanks.

sboog

I'd bet you would kill a few trees printing those out.

Number III was the last, and therefore the most up to date, but it started, I think, prior to the 1.16 patch. Toward the end of the thread 1.16 had come out, I think, and people were amending their comments based upon that. The strategy discussion died down, unfortunately, shortly thereafter.

1.17 is a different beast, due to some fairly major changes to poprushing and AI tech trading, so some of the recommendations in those threads may not been such good ideas anymore.

To answer your actual question, I don't believe Vel got any farther than the summary at the top of thread III. There is no condensed-for-easy viewing/printing version that I know of. I think Vel originally intended to do a strategy guide like he did for SMAC (which I hear was impressive), but lost interest.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I am really sorry to hear that Vel lost interest in writing a strategy guide for Civ3. His one for SMAC was wonderful

So now I guess I am stuck with the Prima guide, which is not that helpful...

sboog

Comment

183 Pages

You made me curious so I just printed the strat guide out (at work of course, those ink cartriges are darn expensive). 183 pages of info that is much better than anything you can find in the manual or the official strat guide. But you do have to be careful and weed out pre-patch data.

P.S. that's 183 pages for the first page of the thread only!

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
          I'd bet you would kill a few trees printing those out.

-Arrian
          yep, tell us about it! - he's hard to stop once he gets going.

just kidding mate.

seriously though, it's all pretty useful stuff in that guide. i haven't printed it out though, just read it and tried to take it all in.
          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Re: 183 Pages

Originally posted by Carver

P.S. that's 183 pages for the first page of the thread only!
            In the name of Sid! 183 for the first PAGE of the thread!?!?!?
            I figured it would be a lot, but that's almost unbelievable.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Dayum! LOL...I didn't know we had that much info already either.....and not to worry....tho my interest in writing a strat guide for Civ3 has waned, I am keeping the option open....at some point, after the code stabalizes and no more patches are forthcoming, perhaps there will be sufficient depth reawaken that desire fully. I hope so....would love to see TWO strat guides up on my shelf....that'd be cool....

-=Vel=-
              The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

You mean 183 pages for the 1st thread -- all ninw pages of the thread printed on 183 pages ...right??
                We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

I did a lot of cutting and pasting and got the whole thing to about 60 pages... with an 8 font size.
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Tuberski, anyway you can send us the results of your cutting and pasting Vel's guide as an attachment?

sboog

Comment

Shame to see Vel won't do it.

I printed out the SMAC guide by Vel, and read it 3 or 4 times.

Civ 3 strat thread, I read, though.

Who'll make the strat guide for Civ 3, then?
                      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I am saddened that Vel won't do it.

But we really need a good strategy guide.

Who will come forward?

sboog

Comment

Alas, I can't . I've wrote a couple of small strategy articles, and it's damn difficult. Eh...
                          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Well, I am really sad that we don't have a forthcoming strategy guide.

Wish Vel would reconsider. Give us at least a summary.

I realize this is asking a lot of someone to do a strategy guide for us.

But it would be so wonderfully helpful to not-so-good players like me.

Civ3 is an awesome and beautifully deep game. I wish I had something besides the Prima strategy guide...

sboog

Comment

Sweet and holy... 183? for one page? The entire Smac/x v3 is less than that!
                              The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
                              Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
                              All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
                              "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Working...
                              X