No announcement yet.

Bring back caravans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Responding to Steve Clark's questions about how it would affect the current "bargaining table" concept, I think it could work like this (But, like you say, it won't because Firaxis has already scrapped this one):

the bargaining table is for large/politically motivated trade agreements between countries they consist of the strategic and luxury resources.

A second trading tier below that would be a non-player controlled unit (think of it like a business class) that traded the bonus resources (wine, wheat, cattle, bananas, mangos, whatever). They move around by themselves on auto-pilot and bring you gold from their sales (conceptualize it as a tax on their trade).

The advantage would be that you gain more wealth (gold in the game) through this, but also that you can prey on your opponents caravans, or whatever, and get $$.

This would also create a commercial reason for wars and provide a purpose for having a navy (maintaining a trade empire, keeping the sea lanes open) other than "I need to transport tanks across this blue stuff because I want to knock off a neighbor"

I can think of alot of good additions to this idea: you can increase/decrease the amount of taxes on imports/exports, over time you brand of "wine" becomes the quality brand so you are paid more for it (like comparative advantage).

Will they do it, the eight ball says "definitely not". But, I think it's an interesting concept and certainly one that could be done and integrated into the game.

Comment

I wouldn't want to see a return to the Civ2 system, but I do think trade (and diplomacy) are done really badly by Civ3.

It's a great game, but those two areas are appalling. A VAST improvement for next time please Fireaxis.

Comment

no... please
        Traigo sueños, tristezas, alegrías, mansedumbres, democracias quebradas como cántaros,
        religiones mohosas hasta el alma...

Comment

I would love caravans coming back, as long as they gave you some reward for destroying an enemy caravan, and if pathing became good enough so my camel wouldn't go globe-trotting to find the least convenient route to any given point.
          Lime roots and treachery!
          "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

YES!

Bring back caravans! I liked them so much (especially for wonder rushing). I really like it better than the Civ3 system.

Comment

Responding to Steve Clark's questions about how it would affect the current "bargaining table" concept, I think it could work like this (But, like you say, it won't because Firaxis has already scrapped this one):

the bargaining table is for large/politically motivated trade agreements between countries they consist of the strategic and luxury resources.

A second trading tier below that would be a non-player controlled unit (think of it like a business class) that traded the bonus resources (wine, wheat, cattle, bananas, mangos, whatever). They move around by themselves on auto-pilot and bring you gold from their sales (conceptualize it as a tax on their trade).

The advantage would be that you gain more wealth (gold in the game) through this, but also that you can prey on your opponents caravans, or whatever, and get $$.

This would also create a commercial reason for wars and provide a purpose for having a navy (maintaining a trade empire, keeping the sea lanes open) other than "I need to transport tanks across this blue stuff because I want to knock off a neighbor"

I can think of alot of good additions to this idea: you can increase/decrease the amount of taxes on imports/exports, over time you brand of "wine" becomes the quality brand so you are paid more for it (like comparative advantage).

Will they do it, the eight ball says "definitely not". But, I think it's an interesting concept and certainly one that could be done and integrated into the game.
              Some great ideas.

I'd like to mention a thread I started while wondering whether the minimum hardware limitations essentially eliminate the possibility that the types of additions described above ae even possible.

Hardware requirement

I only got 1 or 2 two cogent replies.

For those that are kind enough to have a look, "Its not about map sizes"
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Ugh, no to caravans

why?
                In civ2 they made it too easy to steal great wonders from the AI at the last moment

Until an AI can be programmed to take advantage of cheap tactics like that, I think they should be left out

also people complain(ed) about tedium in civ3, to me, the caravan system was the ultimate source of tedium in civ2. setting up trade networks one by one. ugh. how boring

Comment

Working...
                X