Soren: About AI building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soren: About AI building

When I reached the Industrial Era, I decided to use the cheat and have a look around to see how the AI was dealing with my changes to the game. One thing I noticed, India had built the Forbidden Palace in the city right next to the Palace. Now that is a rather stupid use of a valuable building IMO. It would probably provide more of a challenge if the AI would actually use this structure effectively, rather than just building it anywhere. Wouldn't it be possible to include some sort of sub-routine that won't allow it to build the FP within a certain radius of the Palace? Like somewhere well outside the Palace's sphere of influence, whatever that is?

True. But I'll go you one better. . .

I am invading and conquering a civ. Instead of it building the military units it desperately needs to force me to the peace table - it starts building a Happiness Wonder!!!

That stupid, stupid, AI.

Comment

but willem, cripling corruption and war weariness ont seem to bother or effect the AI.
      eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

I could solve your problem. But only when they release the damn SOURCE CODE.

That's spelled:

S, O, U, R, C, E, [SPACE], C, O, D, E
        I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Yes, the AI builds strange things on the strangest moments.

In my last game, there was a bloody world war involving at least four out of six civs. Suddenly, I get the message that "Civ A is building Happiness Wonder X", followed by similar messages involving all the other civs. With the new tech trading system (post-1.17), one of the civs discovered the tech that allowed Wonder X and soon all civs, even those at war, started to build the damn thing.

The AI, of course, does not value things the way we do. For it, a cultural building is important no matter when or where.

Now I know that what Willem suggested CAN be implemented... because you just have to tell the AI to build the FP on a city that is located at least X number of squares from the capital.

Similarly, the AI could be instructed to build only military units whenever there is a war. But then its cities would riot endlessly... unless war weariness does not affect it. If this is true, then this "sub-routine" could be implemented, I guess.
          I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Well I don't think that's bad, I'll always try to build a Wonder if I'm at war, if it comes up. If the opportunity arises, you have to take advantage of it, or someone will beat you to the punch. And it's only one city out of production, that's not going to make that much of a difference really.

The bulk of everyone's forces are units that have been built previously, anything constructed during the conflict is not going to tip the scales that much. It might help, but the outcome is already determined if there was no pre-planning. That's why the AI quite often does so poorly, it can't make plans for an adequate future offence/defence, it only relies on the units it's created on a whim. "Hmmm, I have these 5 Archers I built a hundred years ago, let's get those guys into the fray."

As for the FP, that's a very small detail that might help make the AI a bit more challenging. Forcing it to build no closer than say 35 squares from the Palace would go a long way towards making the AI civ more efficient, and wouldn't be that difficult to implement. They're doing the same sort of thing with the civ spacing in the World Sizes area of the editor. Just building it right next door to the Palace is simply ridiculous.
            Last edited by Willem; March 11, 2002, 00:40.

Comment

The FP right next to the Palace is a sign of weakness. Awkwardly put, this means that the AI does not build efficiently.

[QUOTE]I could solve your problem. But only when they release the damn SOURCE CODE.

That's spelled:

S, O, U, R, C, E, [SPACE], C, O, D, E[/QUOTE

WTFIT? I thought SOURCE CODE was spelled "J, H, I, I, G, Z, Z, 8, [SPACE], *, %, F, 65762, @!, JGS"

Why did you do that?

Steele
              If this were a movie, there'd be a tunnel or something near here for us to escape through.....

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05

That's spelled:

S, O, U, R, C, E, [SPACE], C, O, D, E

They didn't pay their programmers for years constructing the program to just give it away to their competitors. Releasing the source code is asking for too much from any computer games company.
                MonsterMan's Mod: http://www.angelfire.com/amiga/civ3/

Comment

There could be a governor API. I'd like to program my governors.

I think that the worst thing to build is a Courthouse in the capital. Same works for Police Station.
                  Regarding the FP: The A.I. territory usually shrinks during the game so that it is a good decision to build the FP next to the Palace. The location of the capital is usually safer than a border town. The A.I. doesn't like to build Harbors or Barracks. That hurts trade.

Comment

LOL Forbidden Palace right next to the capital? Hehehe. You have to admit some of the stuff the AI does is pretty funny.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterMan

They didn't pay their programmers for years constructing the program to just give it away to their competitors. Releasing the source code is asking for too much from any computer games company.
                      Rebellion released AvP's scource code within a year of release. I'm just hopeing.
                      I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

it would be nice, but they could have atleast left the AI source code open. (i think CTP2 did it with SLCI or sumthing)

anyway, i think with a bit of time, a decent AI could be built by just basically building a program made of 'IF' and 'WHEN' loops. basically, program the AI to do stuf, this may make the AI pretictable after a while though, ut heck, its that already.

Comment

Some of the Happiness wonders are absolutly CRUCIAL on civ III, and i'd build them whether i was losing a war or not, The Sistine Chappel can turn the tide of any game.
                          Up The Millers

Comment

Originally posted by The Andy-Man
                            anyway, i think with a bit of time, a decent AI could be built by just basically building a program made of 'IF' and 'WHEN' loops.
                            You might as well build a switch in a do... while loop. Or well. I'm still having fun tweaking AvPGE! I made those damn AL|ENS faster and smarter (they ALL know where you are at all times now!)

Comment

eg (i dont prgram but did a lil qbasic once)

IF Human Has 2 Cavalry on border
                              THEN AI#2 Builds 1 TO 4 Rifleman

thats the idea i ment. but do LOTS of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X