No announcement yet.

Which civ do you play as, and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been considering being Japan, but i just cant bring myself round to being them , Might be Iroquis in the next game tho.
    Up The Millers

Comment

Greeks. Cheap libraries are a must, both for culture and research, and reduced corruption is also useful if you want to play a 20 city plus game.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm surprised no one has chosen the French. Their combination of commercial and industrious is best for maintaining a large empire. The best time for a Golden Age is Middle Ages and they have a Middle Ages UU.

I agree with the arguments for Militaristic Civs. Roman and Chinese are best. However, I get much more enjoyment beating down a Militaristic civ than playing one.

I never play expansionist civs because that is a useless trait. I like to play Industrious civs with either Commercial or Scientific.

Comment

Originally posted by Feephi
          I'm surprised no one has chosen the French.
          Somebody hasn't played Deity.

I love the French when I'm playing a relaxing regent game, but on higher levels, they have difficulty taking over other civs due to their lack of any of the traits that are useful for conquering, and their abominable UU.

The French are awesome allies though.
          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

I play as Germany because the Panzer UU lets me trigger the Golden Age when I want it. Other Civ's with UU's in the early part of the game are not as good because you end up wasting the Golden Age. Also, the Germans can build all types of the wonders up until Newtons and Copernicus without triggering the Golden Age.

Usually I expand like made until all land is taken up. Even when the AI has little pockets not yet filled in, I still build cities there and I rush temples and libraries to out muscle their culture. Then when the world is filled, I mass Panzers and make Armies to hold infantries. Then, I conquer the world, one civ at a time. I consistently win on deity.

Comment

Originally posted by Pius Popprasch
              Unfortunately Chariots cannot pass mountains but that's not really a big problem.
              They also can't pass jungle, and that is a big problem.

Originally posted by Feephi
              I never play expansionist civs because that is a useless trait
              Depends. On huge maps expansionist is very powerful. I'm planning to give the Zulus a try.

Comment

RE: War Chariots. Yeah, if there is a jungle between you and the guy you wanna ice, W.C.'s aren't gonna help you. OTOH, if you are doing battle on the open plain, they are nice cheap horsemen.

I personally choose my civ based upon the attributes, not the unit (the one possible exception being the Iroquois). This is why I do not play the Chinese. I don't like their attributes - the Rider rocks, no question (perfectly timed Golden Age, 3 moves at a time when offense beats defense). So, when I choose the Egyptians, I give no thought to the War Chariot, just like I ignore the Bab bowman. Neither really gives you an edge, but that's what the attributes are for. They are, in my opinion, builder civs.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I tend to avoid playing the French or Indians precisely because they make good allies.

Now, playing the Germans/Romans/Zulu to avoid running into them - I've done that.

Most of the time I play random (end up with the Greeks & Indians a LOT for some reason).

Favorites is a different question - I like Greeks, Babs, Persians mainly for builder reasons. Greeks are nice b/c they defend well in ancient era, don't need any resources.
                  -belchingjester

Comment

Babs, Egyptians, Aztec, Iroquois, French

I like 'em all, but those would be my top five....

-=Vel=-
                    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Velociryx
                      Babs, Egyptians, Aztec, Iroquois, French

I like 'em all, but those would be my top five....

-=Vel=-
                      Apparently great minds think alike Well, except for the French... automatic disqualification for being pink (j/k).

I still haven't tried the French. I would imagine that, due to their traits, once the Empire is up and running, it's awesome. But it's gotta take a bit longer to ramp up (I'm thinking about building all of those full price temples, libraries, cathedrals and universities).

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Yeah....I dunno...even though the thought of playing the "Giant Pink Vulture" of the world DOES give me the willies, I gotta say, they really rock. The combined benefits of Comm and Ind (and the synergy that creates) is just....music.

Doesn't matter that their color reeks, or their UU is almost as useful as kudzu....those two abilities are just....insanely good together....

-=Vel=-
                        The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

I like all comercial civs because they have less coruption. My top two would be Greek & French.

Comment

Romans, Greeks and Egypt for the UU and ..... Aztecs!
                            Traigo sueños, tristezas, alegrías, mansedumbres, democracias quebradas como cántaros,
                            religiones mohosas hasta el alma...

Comment

I've been playing Monarch/Space Race on a standard map, and did well with the French as well as with the favorites just listed: Babylon, Egypt, and the Aztecs. Because of the relative ease of these games, I don't even think about when a GA is triggered. (I assume this matters more at higher levels.) At this point I feel I could win this sort of game with anyone - I won one starting alone on an island with the Aztecs, which meant a total waste of the UU until they became modern-era saboteurs. Having said all that, I think that the computer never has more of an edge than at the start of the game, and so I would opt for civs that deliver right away: the Aztecs, Babs, Egyptians, and then the Iroquois, with their early temples and offensive UUs to carve out enough land to ensure a comfortable game. I've found it's hard to fall behind against the AI once you're meaningfully ahead.

Comment

I like playing the English due to the challenge of having virtually no advantage over other civilizations.
                                "'It's the last great adventure left to mankind'
                                Screams a drooping lady,
                                offering her dreamdolls at less than extortionate prices."
                                -"The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging" (Genesis 1974)

Comment

Working...
                                X